Tech Blog

How To Turn Your iPhone Into A Photo And Document Scanner

by Blogger on ‎04-09-2012 09:31 AM - last edited on ‎04-09-2012 09:46 AM by Retired Moderator

There are a lot of articles popping up about the death of the desktop.  While we're killing off that big beige box in your home off, we might as well terminate some of the accessories too. 

Let's start with the scanner.  Your iPhone can do that.

Screen Shot 2012-04-07 at 7.57.53 PM.png

TURBOSCAN [$1.99]

It's tax time, and if you're rummaging through boxes of paper scraps trying to organize things, just think of how easy it would be if you did

things on the fly.

TurboScan lets you take a picture of any document, trim it, set the exposure setting and then convert it to a PDF.  You can set up automatic mailing, complete with subject customization so you can sort your receipts.

There are two versions of the app, one with character recognition (making your documents searchable), one without.

This has effectively replaced the document scanner on my desk.  I was mailed a contract I needed to sign last week. I signed it, took a picture with TurboScan and mailed the client a PDF.  Done.

If I can just get in the habit of taking pictures of every bill, and receipt, and sorting them properly my taxes would already be done.

Screen Shot 2012-04-07 at 8.23.24 PM.pngSHOEBOX [free]

My grandmother spent the weekends of the final years of her life going through old shoeboxes and making detailed photo albums for each one of her family members.  She gathered special moments she had captured with each grandchildren and made a photo album.  Curating this content was a valuable gift she gave all of us to remember the special times we had together.

People of a certain age will have shoeboxes full of paper photos of their lives.  As Facebook moves to Timeline and encourages us to populate more of our history on the web, Shoebox is a free app that will let you scan your old photos and digitize them for Facebook (or archiving). 

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.