On my drive back from Kelowna, I stopped in Chilliwack to pick up a bag of fresh corn. I love eating corn on the cob in the summertime, especially during a BBQ.
The good thing about corn is that it makes a perfect snack at home or in the office. How can you make it so that it’s fast and easy. All you need is your microwave. And it won’t sabotage the taste. Trust.
Here are two approaches to making corn in the microwave.
- Remove a few strands of the husk and clean the silk. (You don’t have to clean the entire corn).
- Rinse the corn.
- TIP: You can also soak the corn in water for 15-20mins. That is only if you can wait a little longer before indulging into your corn.
- Place the corn on a (microwaveable) plate.
- Set your microwave for 6-7 minutes
- Voila, you are done!
- Caution: The corn will be very hot so it’s best to let it cool for a minute.
- The husk will be very easy to peel off. If you want to get fancy, you can cut both ends of the corn, and punch one side to have it slide out of the husk.
- Remove the husk and silk from the corn
- Wrap the corn with a wet paper towel
- Place it one a (microwaveable) plate
- Heat for no more that 5 minutes
If you want a visual on this method, check out how the Chow.com explained this process.
How to flavor your corn?
Melted butter on corn is to die for. Don’t you agree? Butter, salt, and pepper is always the traditional option. But to be more flavorful check out these simple buttery creations (adapted from Canoe.com):
- Basil butter: 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) minced fresh basil, 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) minced fresh chives or green onion top
- Cilantro butter: 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) minced fresh cilantro (coriander), 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) fresh chives or green onion top and 1 tsp. (5 ml) minced jalapeno pepper or dash hot pepper sauce
- Garlic butter: 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) minced fresh parsley and 1 clove fresh garlic or roasted garlic, minced
- Lemon Pepper: 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) grated lemon rind, 2 tsp. (10 ml) lemon juice and 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) coarsely ground pepper
- Parmesan: 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) freshly ground Parmesan cheese and 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) minced chives. Also good with Romano and Asiago
- Smoky cajun: 1 tsp. (5 ml) each minced fresh oregano and thyme, 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) smoked sweet paprika and a pinch of cayenne
- Curry: 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) minced fresh chives, 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) curry powder and 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) cumin
Looking for a Microwave? Check out Future Shop's Top Picks:
Enjoy better meals faster with this 2.1 cubic foot Samsung over-the-range microwave. It features the Efficient Triple Distribution System for more consistent cooking with a turbo ventilation that removes steam and odours quickly and quietly. It's also equipped with a bright LED cooktop light, wide control panel, and durable ceramic interior.
Stylish on the outside, packed with amazing technology on the inside, this 1.6 cubic foot, over-the-range microwave cooks food using Sensor Cook Technology, so it's never over or under cooked. Improved circulation vastly improves consistency. And the sleek stainless steel finish brings it all together with an elegant touch to any kitchen.
Quick cooking with great results is made easy with the stylish Panasonic NNSD291 microwave. With 1100 watts of high power output and Inverter cooking technology, you can expect consistently-delicious meals every time. It also features a low-power Keep Warm function, so you can be sure that all your dishes are served warm at the same time.
Innovative cooking convenience is now right at your fingertips with the impressive performance of the Samsung SMH1816 Over-The-Range Microwave. With a powerful 400CFM Auto Vent to quickly eliminate food odours and 1000W of cooking power, its spacious 1.8 cu. ft. Capacity handles most every fast food prep reheating task
With advanced sensor-cooking technology, the Frigidaire Gallery Series CFMV164LS over-the-range microwave makes defrosting, thawing, re-heating, and quick cooking easier than ever. It features the Fits-More 1.6 cu.ft. capacity cavity and a host of One Touch options for potatoes, popcorn and more.
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in.