Tech Blog

Interview with one Tough Mother following Tough Mudder Toronto

by Blogger ‎08-29-2012 10:45 PM - edited ‎08-29-2012 11:10 PM

photo for mediaSM.jpg
Samsung's Tough Mothers (in white t-shirts) start the Tough Mudder Toronto race strong. 

You may recall thanks to the good folks at Samsung Canada, a few weekends ago I had the opportunity to participate in the 2012 Tough Mudder Toronto event.

It was amazing. I competed with an awesome team from Samsung, like their VP of Marketing, Andrew Barrett, and Nick Cowling, GM of Citizen Relations, and a long-time colleague of mine since I began a career in communications. Here's a look at the team appearing fresh and ready to take on Mount Saint Louis Moonstonre in Barrie, ON:

Another fantastic team who partook in the 11 mile, 29 obstacles challenge designed by the British Special Forces was Samsung's Tough Mothers. Led by Samantha Boughen, this group of 11 mothers and friends championed the Tough Mudder in just over four hours. Boughen is a remarkable woman, having recently overcome cancer and a stroke, and competing in the Mudder after being encouraged by her family to do it.

I had the opportunity to chat with Boughen following the Mudder. After about a week of recovery from the challenge, here are her thoughts on the experience:

EC: How was your first Tough Mudder?
SB: I loved my first Tough Mudder…what an experience!

EC: You’ve had just over a week now to recover. Would you do it again?
SB: Yes, and it only took two days after the event to sign up for next year.

EC: What was your favourite/ least favourite obstacle?
SB: Everest. (EC: This was one of the final challenges were participants had to run up half a skate pipe and either pull themselves, or get pulled up with help.)

My least favourite obstacle was Electric Eel. (EC: This is where participants had to wiggle on their stomachs quickly through water below yellow, live, electric wires. Guaranteed shocks!)

EC: How long did it take you to complete?
SB: It took me four hours and twenty minutes to complete.

EC: Who did you do it with?
SB: I did Tough Mudder with a team of others mothers, including my sister!

EC: What was the inspiration to complete 19 obstacles spanning 10-13 miles at Mt. St. Louis?
SB: I was inspired by my two boys, Holdyn, 14-years-old, and Jakob, 9-years-old and the "Tough Mothers," my team.

EC: What advice would you give future Tough Mudders/ Mothers out there in terms of preparation?
SB: Train. You need to train well in advance of Tough Mudder in order to do it, but it’s so worth it in the end!

EC: How has Samsung supported your journey in the Mudder?
SB: Samsung has been a great supporter of our team in helping share our story with everyone. They’ve helped make the experience as memorable as I hoped it would be.

EC: Last words?
SB: To everyone out there, you can do anything you put your mind to. Believe in yourself and remember that anything is possible. Trust me, it is.

Spoken like one Tough Mother.

SAM_0763SM.jpg
 Samsung's Tough Mothers get clean through the Powerfoam Challenge after completing Tough Mudder Toronto at Mount Saint Louis Moonstone in Barrie, ON.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.