Tech Blog

LG Optimus G quad-core Android smartphone hands-on video

by Retired Blogger ‎09-28-2012 02:07 PM - edited ‎10-02-2012 02:46 PM

20120919_C7788_PHOTO_EN_18112.jpg

Late last year I spent some time with LG’s flagship Optimus LTE Android Smartphone. While there was a lot to like (it was one of the first phones to ship with an HD IPS screen), it did suffer from some shortcomings, most notably ins that it shipped with the older, and slower, Gingerbread OS (Android 2.3). Fast-forward to almost a year later, and LG just announced their new flagship Android phone, the QUAD-CORE Optimus G.

Yes, you read that right; the LG Optimus G sports a quad-core processor, and will be one of the only phones available in Canada with such a powerful CPU (and probably the only one running the new Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU) come its "early November" launch date. After spending some quality time with it yesterday, I can definitely say that it is a huge step up from last year’s top model. It could even be a contender for the best Android phone on the Canadian market when it launches on Bell, Rogers and Telus. This time around, it seems that LG has gotten the mix of ingredients just right – it has a beautiful 4.7” HD-IPS+ screen , fast quad-core processor, a big 2100 mAh battery, and runs the fast, smooth, Ice Cream Sandwich OS (Android 4.0).

Check out some pictures at the end of this post, along with the hands-on video below where I speak at-length about the Optimus G with the always personable Frank Lee of LG Canada.

The Optimus G is coming to Canada on Bell, Rogers and Telus in early November, and you’ll be able to order it from Future Shop soon. Check back for my full review of the phone after it launches.

Full Specifications

Operating System: Android 4.0 (ICS) + LG overlay (An upgrade to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is expected in early Q2 of 2013)

Processor: 1.5 GHz Quad-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064

Memory RAM: 2 GB DDR2

Memory Storage: 32 GB onboard storage

Display: 4.7" HD-IPS+ LCD, 768 x 1280, 318 ppi

Network: 2G / 3G / 4G LTE 

Other connections: Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi, USB2.0 HS, A-GPS, MHL, DLNA, NFC 

Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g/n

Battery: 2100 mAh, Embedded, lifespan of 800 cycles

Camera (Main): 8 MP

Camera (Front): 1.3 MP

Dimensions: 131.9 x 68.9 x 8.45mm 

Weight: 145g 

Gallery of images of the Optimus G

LG Optimus G-1.jpg 

LG Optimus G-3.jpg

LG Optimus G-6.jpg

LG Optimus G-7.jpg

LG Optimus G-8.jpg

LG Optimus G-8B.jpg

LG Optimus G-9.jpg

LG Optimus G-15.jpg

LG Optimus G-17.jpg

LG Optimus G-18.jpg

LG Optimus G-18B.jpg

LG Optimus G-22.jpg

All pictures © 2012 Alex B Davies 

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.