Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Dieticians explain that breakfast means you “break the fast.” For most, when you wake up in the morning, it would’ve been approximately 8 - 12 hours since your last meal. It’s a long fast and your body does burn energy even while you sleep.
The health benefits of starting your morning with a nutritious breakfast are endless. Such benefits include: higher concentration level, a boost in your energy, you are likely to be in a positive mood, in addition to keeping your weight managed.
One of my favorite ways to start the day is with a healthy smoothie. Here are some recipes you can enjoy:
The Caffeinated Banana
- 1 very ripe banana
- ½ cup strong coffee
- ½ cup milk
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp agave syrup
- 1 cup ice
(adapted from Women’s Health)
- 3/4 c blueberries
- 3/4 c pitted cherries
- 5 strawberries
- 1/4 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tsp wheat germ (optional)
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed
- Water, to thin
(adapted from GirlGetStrong.com)
To make the perfect smoothie, it helps to find the right blender. Here are some things to consider before you make a purchase:
- Blender vs Food Processor. Some of you may have been informed that a food processor works like a blender with some added features. Or that a blender and food processor does the same thing and you only need one of these appliances for your cooking needs. These are not true statements if you ask any kitchen maven. Blenders are best utilized when working with liquids and a food processor is best used working with solids. Both these appliances can mix, chop, and blend but they do so differently. If you want to learn more about the difference between a blender and food processor, check out this video. In a nutshell, it isn’t a good idea to think you can make the best smoothie with a food processor.
- Ice Crushing. Do you want your blender to crush ice? If so, then it’s a good idea to look into a blender that supports this feature. Not all of them do or make it a priority. Do you want to make frozen margaritas (smoothed crushed ice) or do you like to have drink with chunks of ice? Or Both?
- Detachable Bottom. Does the blender have a detachable bottom? Might be a good option, if you want a blender that is easy to clean. However, here's an easy tip on cleaning your blender?
Now that you have some ideas on what you want in a blender, check out some of the latest products Future Shop has available and on sale.
This Hamilton Beach 8 Speed Blender with Metal Base has 600 watts peak power, WaveAction system, stainless steel Ice Sabre blades and a 40 oz. dishwasher safe glass jar. Counter-stable jar base, cord storage and a 3 year limited warranty. Easy clean up.
The Cuisinart SmartPower Classic Blender makes it easy to blend through even the toughest stuff. A 600 watts motor crushes ice, blends beverages, smoothes soups, and more. It's also easy to make large amounts for multiple servings with the large capacity 48-ounce glass jar.
With four speeds plus Pulse Mode and a Chop Ice feature, this blender can handle all of your blending tasks. Additionally, a 0.9 horsepower motor and Intelli-Speed Motor Control ensure superb performance and consistent results, no matter what you're blending.
Powerful 600 watt motor. 1.6L large capacity glass jar. Commercial plastic finish. 12 preset speeds. Auto Pulse. Patented Hemisphere 6 blades. Dishwasher safe jar. Removable blades. Heavy duty.
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in.