Tech Blog

My Predictions for E3 2009 (Part 1 - Microsoft)

by Blogger on ‎05-17-2009 09:25 PM - last edited on ‎05-01-2012 10:21 PM by Retired Moderator

E3_logo.jpgYou know that bubbling sensation you're feeling? It's E3 excitement about to unleash itself! With the expo kicking off in approximately two weeks, I thought I'd use my second post to discuss my predictions for this year's event. Since there's so much to talk about I think what I'll do is start off with my Microsoft predictions and I'll be back later in the week with my best guesses for Nintendo and Sony. Before I get into my predictions however, I thought I'd give a little preamble for those of you who might not be familiar with the event.

The E3 Expo is North America's premier annual trade show event for the video game and computer industries and is run by the Entertainment Software Association. It is primarily used by video game developers and publishers to show off their upcoming games, peripherals, and technologies. During the E3 Expo the big three console manufacturers (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony), as well as large third-party publishers including Ubisoft, EA and Capcom, are all expected to play host to high-energy press conferences. This year's event will be taking place from June 2-4 in the Los Angeles Convention Centre.

With all the buzz that is sure to surround this year's E3, I thought I'd jump start the action by making my own guesses about what we'll be seeing from Microsoft at their media briefing. One point I should note before I move on to the predictions is that these are my best guesses given my insight into the gaming industry. While I'm not an industry insider, I am information obsessed and probably spend way too many hours each day reading gaming news on websites, blogs and forums. Hopefully some of my predictions are right - we'll see soon enough!

Microsoft Press Conference - June 1st, 10:30AM PST

First out of the gate this year will be Microsoft who will be taking the spotlight one day before the official E3 doors open on June 2nd. Microsoft has been unusually mum this year but I fully expect them to create huge waves right off the bat with the announcement of the much-rumoured Xbox 360 full body motion-sensing add-on, Microsoft Fluid. Speculations for this product add-on have been circulating for much of the last year and there has been talk that Microsoft has partnered with 3DV to bring their ZCam technology to the Xbox 360. Gametrailers has a nice video of 3DV gaming up right now if you want to see it in action.

With that announcement out of the way, Microsoft will remind Xbox 360 that there are plenty of exclusives in the pipeline for this fall. With the recent resurfacing of Alan Wake, I predict that Microsoft with show an extended trailer to whet our appetites. Rockstar announced on their Twitter account that more information on the second iteration of GTA IV DLC will be made public soon - expect this to be Xbox 360 exclusive just like the Lost & The Damned. Forza Motorsport has recently been teased by Microsoft at an event in Sao Paolo and will be officially announced with a fall 2009 release date.

I also expect an influx of new title announcements, likely to include a new Lionhead game (perhaps the rumoured Fable 3 or a new Fable 2 DLC pack), Rare will likely announce a new Banjo game or perhaps the speculation of a new Battletoads and Killer Instinct game will prove to be true. There will also be a third-party highlight reel that will feature BioWare's Mass Effect 2, Capcom's Lost Planet 2, Ubisoft's Splinter Cell: Conviction, and Square-Enix's Final Fantasy XIII.

Finally, and I'll probably get some flack for this prediction from Sony fans, I think Microsoft will end off their media brief by inviting Hideo Kojima to announce a Metal Gear game for Xbox 360. However, I don't think it will be Metal Gear Solid 4; as teased on the Kojima Productions website, I think it will be Metal Gear Solid 5 going multi-platform, possibly starring Raiden, the cyborg-ninja. 

Well there you have it, I would love to hear what you all think about my predictions and add anything else I might have missed. Stay tuned shortly for my Nintendo and Sony predictions!

Message Edited by Laura on 05-29-2009 03:05 PM
Message Edited by Laura on 06-16-2009 02:39 PM
Message Edited by Julez on 07-29-2009 03:29 PM
Message Edited by Laura on 08-21-2009 03:55 PM

Comments
by Trusted Expert on ‎05-18-2009 08:32 AM

Interesting predictions!  I hate the fact that both Microsoft and Sony are trying to shimmy in on some of the motion-control earnings, though.  I'm a traditionalist gamer, and I still detest Nintendo for the path they've chosen to take this gen (concerning both the Wii and DS).  I completely disagree with Sony and Microsoft taking away resources from my style of games, to try to broaden their audience.  I know the stockholders have a huge say in the direction of the company, and in the end making money is the most important thing, but come onnnn. I guess I'll have to wait and see the official word on it in a few weeks before getting in to too much of a huf, though.

Agree with the multiplatform Kojima announcement as well.  The MGS4 to 360 rumour needs to die soon :smileytongue:.

by Blogger on ‎05-18-2009 02:34 PM

Hi lilwingman,

Great insights, and I have to agree that I hope Sony and Microsoft don't lose focus on the core gamers out thereAs you mentioned, they are a business with shareholder expectations, so earning money is their core objective.   With the runaway success Nintendo is currently enjoying with the Wii and DS it's comes to no surprise that Microsoft and Sony would like a piece of that pieFrom my perspective, I see Microsoft positioning themselves in the middle of the spectrum (1/2 hardcore, 1/2 casual/social).  We've already seen this new direction with the advent of the NXE that brought us Xbox avatars and the partying systemMicrosoft also released a number of social and family-friendly titles including In The Movies, Lips, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, and Viva Piñata: Trouble in ParadiseAlso don't forget the recently launched Xbox Primetime games, including the 1vs100 beta currently testing in CanadaI'm not suggesting by any means that Microsoft will be abandoning the hardcore gamer, but I do think there is a concerted effort on their part to broaden the appeal of the Xbox 360 beyond FPS and PC fansSony on the other hand, I don't really see them taking many strides to add more casual titles to the PS3 or PSP line-upSure they have Buzz and Singstar, but they've had those series for quite some time nowIf you look at what Sony is promoting it's all hardcore titles (e.g. inFAMOUS, MAG, God of War 3, Uncharted 2, R&C, Heavy Rain).  

Anyhow, interesting debate, I'll be interested to hear your reactions to my Nintendo and Sony predictions coming soon!

by Exalted Expert on ‎05-18-2009 02:47 PM

Xbox 360 exclusives like Alan Wake are exactly the reason why I don't own a Xbox 360. What I mean is that, just like Alan Wake will, I'd say 95% of the good Xbox 360 exclusives always end up released on PC at the same time or within the same years. As a PC gamer, this give me no reason to buy a Xbox 360. If MS want to attract more people, they need to stop doing that.

As for the motion-sensing technology, I don't think it will works for them (or Sony), at least not for this generation. Nintendo was successful with this as they were the first and only one on the market to offer that kind of "fun". Now that "everyone" has a Wii, considering who bought them AND who MS and Sony are targeting with their motion-sensing tech, I don't think it will works.

Lastly, I wouldn't be surprise to see MGS4 on the Xbox 360. After all, there was a remake of MGS1 for the GameCube and a port for MGS2 for both the Xbox and the PC. What I would like to know is HOW are they going to make it possible as MGS4 takes a full dual layer Blu-ray disk of space...

mgs4xbox360.png

Lastly, while I don't doubt there's going to be a MGS5, I would be surprise to see Raiden as the protagonist. Fans reactions weren't very positive about him being the hero for MGS2.

So far, my only prediction for this year's E3 is that the "big three" won't annonce a next-gen system.

by Blogger on ‎05-18-2009 09:11 PM

Hey Morfanos,

You make a great point about many Xbox 360 exclusive games also being available on PC.  I'm more of a console player myself (my PC is too low-tech for high end gaming), but I know many people who prefer playing these games on PC.  If you have a nice gaming PC you're very likely to be able to play most Microsoft Game Studios games.  

As far as MGS4 for Xbox 360, I would entirely rule out the possibility, although I do think the chances of a port are slim.  MGS4 was built from the ground-up to be optimized for the PS3 and it would likely cost Konami a lot of resources to port it over.  Not to mention that there are numerous plugs for Sony products in the game (e.g. Sunny plays on a PSP, Octagon talks up the benefits of blu-ray, and Snake using Sixaxis controller).  Konami would have to be pretty meticulous to extract all the Sony references should a port actually take place.

by Exalted Expert on ‎05-18-2009 09:39 PM

:smileysurprised:!

PaulH wrote:

MGS4 was built from the ground-up to be optimized for the PS3 and it would likely cost Konami a lot of resources to port it over.

Very true, I remember reading an interview where Kojima was saying the same thing.

As for the products placements, to be honest, I never saw those plugs for Sony (well aside from the Blu-ray joke made by Otacon, see the picture I posted for the Xbox 360 version of the game:smileytongue:) as I was paying to much attention to the Apple's ones:smileytongue:.

by Blogger ‎05-19-2009 05:31 AM - edited ‎05-19-2009 05:32 AM

Morfanos,

I did see the picture of the Xbox 360 version of MGS4 and I have to admit it's pretty funny.  Putting aside the humour though, it does raise a good point.  How do you games that max out a blu-ray fit a on DVD?  I'm not sure if Final Fantasy XIII maxes out a blu-ray, but it's got to be at least several DVDs.  Are we really going to start seeing 3, 4, maybe 5 disc releases on Xbox 360?  If Lost Odyssey was any indication (4 discs), then I think the answer is yes.

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-19-2009 08:32 AM
by Trusted Expert on ‎05-19-2009 05:23 PM
On that note, I think we'll begin to see more small things simply left out of the 360 version of multiplatform titles because of size restrictions.  For example, continuing the Final Fantasy XIII discussion, there is talk of the original Japanese voices being included on the PS3 NA and EU releases.  While not necessary by any means to enjoy the game, it is an extra little bonus, and is much appreciated (I'm a big JRPG/anime fan).  Blu-ray's extra size allows this.  Adding it with the 360's version would add an additional few discs, to what is already expected to be a 4+ disc title.
by Blogger on ‎05-19-2009 07:43 PM

lilwingman,

All good points there, and it's worth noting that we will likely see more of this happening as developers move to using PS3 as the lead console for development (as was the case with games such as Mirror's Edge, Modern Warfare 2, and Burnout).  Many developers are now saying that producing games first on PS3 allows for faster porting between PS3 and Xbox 360 without compromising the game experience.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.