Tech Blog

Netflix Coming to Canada This Fall

by Blogger ‎07-19-2010 06:14 AM - edited ‎07-19-2010 06:15 AM

4162iF605FFA7310C557C

13 years after launching in the US, the uber popular DVD by mail and movie streaming service Netflix has announced it will soon be available in Canada. While Americans have the choice of streaming or renting physical DVD's through the mail, Canadians will have to opt for the streaming service as DVD rentals will not be made available here.

"Canadian Netflix members will be able to instantly watch a broad array of movies and TV episodes right on their TV's via a range of consumer electronics devices capable of streaming from Netflix, as well as watching on PC's and Macs." states the company's press release.

Since Canadians will not be able to rent physical DVD's, we'll have to rely on other devices such as Xbox or television sets with the service built-in. Many of the TV's released this year and in the coming months (such as certain LG models) already boast about the Netflix service, so the hints at a Canadian lNetflix aunch have been floating around for some time now.

This will mark the company's first expansion outside the US. At first the service will only be made available in English, but Netflix promises to expand the service to include French titles and a bilingual user interface in the near future.

A launch date has not been announced yet.

Are you excited for Netflix?

Comments
by Blogger on ‎07-19-2010 06:49 AM

I for one am very excited about this.  I lived in the States most of my life so I actually had the luxury of using Netflix and enjoyed every minute of it.  When I moved back to Canada I thought my days of weekly movie marathons were over, but it seems not.  Finally, the wait is over! 

by tachyondecay on ‎07-19-2010 06:54 AM

Hellz yes.  I've long awaited Netflix in Canada simply because I want a reliable way to stream movies legally.  The mail-order DVD renting model, while cool, does not beat a trip to Blockbuster.  Streaming to my Xbox 360 most certainly does.

That last part is crucial.  I don't mind that I have to go to the CTV website instead of Hulu to watch the latest episode of a show that CTV broadcasts.  However, I have yet to find a convenient way of getting the streaming feed (which doesn't have great quality) from the CTV player to my HDTV via my Xbox 360.

A quick search turns up this article heralding Zip.ca's entry into the online streaming market . . . but a year later, I can't find any mention of online streaming on Zip's website.  I wonder what happened there.

by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎07-19-2010 07:35 AM

As someone who enjoys their Blu-Ray, I did some searching on the Internet to see what quality would I be seeing.... It appears to be limited to 720p.

http://mashable.com/2010/02/08/netflix-1080p/

What I could not find is how many megabits per second I would be seeing the content.  Is there  a way to cache the content for slower internet connections to see it at a higher content?

by TheDaver on ‎07-29-2010 03:28 PM

I know its not 1080P, but the quality is actually surprising. I watched firefly and serenity in HD recently on Netflix as I am testing it for the Canadian market and I thought it looked great for streaming.

I will still buy the blockbusters and "Planet Earth" type videos on blu-ray, but still worth it...

by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎09-01-2011 06:43 AM

There's another new service that is available.... Google just launched "YouTube Movies".

http://www.google.ca/search?q=youtube+movies&tbm=nws

Don't know if it offers 1080 for Canadians.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.