Tech Blog

New Chrome Beta and slick New Tab window

by Blogger on ‎09-22-2011 11:41 PM - last edited on ‎04-30-2012 04:21 PM by Moderator

New Tab.pngWhile the Interwebs were all abuzz about some social network, Google released an update for Google Chrome Beta today and made the revamped new tab window active by default (you could try it before though about:flags). I think it’s pretty slick and unlike Firefox, when new updates come in the beta (or dev or Canary) builds, it actually makes a positive difference in the browser.

From the Google Chrome Blog you can get the low-down on the stylin’ new tab screen (I’ve been trying to avoid saying the “new New Tab screen”—darn it!), which I rather like. My default is to have my apps front and center in the new tab, but just a click gets you to your most visited or bookmarks.

Handy? Heck, yeah. Look, although there aren’t a lot of Chrome apps now there will be soon; you can bet on that. Google itself is pushing offline versions of Gmail, GCal and GDocs through the Chrome store (if you don’t have these, you should—this means click the links and go now!) and of course there is Angry Birds.

You might wonder if you’re cool enough or want to live on the edge enough to run Chrome Beta Channel. You are, actually. The Stable Channel is great and it’s what I’d install on the basic, average computer user’s machine. You folks, however, just by the nature of reading a blog like this are neither basic nor average. So I say live on the edge, use a real browser and run Chrome Beta. Yeah, you can thank me later.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.