Tech Blog

New iPad and New Apple TV Released - Has Apple Hit Terminal Velocity?

by Blogger on ‎03-07-2012 01:39 PM - last edited on ‎03-21-2012 03:30 PM by Administrator

New iPad starts at C$519 for 16GB Wifi.  Pre-orders are being taken now, it ships March 16.

New Apple TV is $109. Pre-orders are being taken now, it ships March 16.

skydive.jpgWhen you go sky diving and you soar through the clouds in free fall, you don't continuously accelerate into the earth.  There is a terminal velocity of 195km/h, a maximum attainable speed from gravity pulling you back down.  Due to wind resistance, you can't go any faster.  Even Spinal Tap couldn't dial the speed to 196.

With the past 2 announcements from Cupertino, you have to wonder if we're hitting terminal velocity in the features one can cram into a tiny hand held device.  Short of radical redesigns, or incremental processing upgrades, what more can be done?

We've already seen it in the line of iPods.  The device is slowly drifting into obsolence as the iPhone takes hold of our media.  Apple has shrunk the iPod Nano down to the size of an iPod Shuffle and added a touchscreen, but was that really necessary?  It moved more units, it was an evolution in the device, but it wasn't a game changer.

The big news with iPhone 4S was an upgraded camera, processor, and the addition of voice via the still in beta Siri. The announcement of iPhone 4S was greeted with a resounding "meh" from the fanbois - they wanted more.  But what more is there to give?

The switch to the "Post PC Era" was an acknowledgement by Apple that the desktop computer had run it's course.  It's horsepower and functionality tapped, there was no big "wow" left to exploit in the line to keep consumers coming back for an upgrade. Yes, Moore's Law would dictate that processing power would continue to increase, but where was the hardware innovation to make the desktop relevant?  Instead, an entirely new product line was created to re-invent the marketplace - iPad.

newipad.jpgToday's announcement in Cupertino of "New iPad" and "New Apple TV"  (Tim Cook neglected to give them numerological names, instead going with "New"), has shown that apart from the rumoured iTV (a flat panel screen directly running apps), the plateau may have been reached.

New iPad is faster.  It has more pixels.  It has better cameras.  It perhaps heralds an evolutionary step in the Post-PC Era where content creation is now a bigger part of the equation. 

While the first iPad was more of a content consumption device, the New iPad has the tools to help create it.  Faster processors and clearer screens will let you edit photos, movies and create audio.  The New iPad makes sharing the files into iCloud easier as well.  But is that enough to make you turn your iPad 2 into a placemat?

New Apple TV is the same as the previous edition with an upgraded user interface and the ability to push full HD through the pipe.  I've pre-ordered the New Apple TV because I love my current Apple TV.  I have more than one TV in my house and would love the ability to push content to my home theatre.  But if I was a 1 tv household, this upgrade would not be enough for me to ditch my current Apple TV.  It's an update, and that's about it.

These upgrades, however, are still crucial to keep pace with the rest of the industry.  While the hard core fanbois mocked by Samsung will upgrade in a heartbeat, and the continued pace of sexy will convince others to ditch operating systems and switch to Apple products, you have to wonder how many of us in the middle will toss ourselves into the upgrade cycle.

Apart from full voice and gesture integration that works perfectly, or an app enabled panel, what else is there for Apple to innovate? 

The speedometer already reads 190km/h, there's not much runway left.

Mike Yawney was in the audience in Cupertino and offers this summary of the press event.

Comments
by Blogger on ‎03-07-2012 08:27 PM

There are two things to take from Apple's event.

First, the 12-month product cycle doesn't leave enough room to reinvent the wheel each time out. And considering that Apple is at the top of a category they ultimately reinvented, with no serious challenger yet to emerge, there's not the same "push" from behind to make something crazy happen. I find the best thing to do with Apple's iOS devices is to compare them by skipping an iteration. An iPhone 3GS is a very different device than the iPhone 4S. The first iPad isn't exactly on the same level as the New iPad. You get the point.

Second, a tablet's hardware doesn't need to be radicalized annually because the key to the iPad is the abundance of apps, and what they're able to make the tablet do. What catapulted the iPhone to stardom was the App Store. When it launched alongside the iPhone 3G in 2008, that was a game-changer. Android tablet makers tried to squeeze in all kinds of bells and whistles into their "me too" tablets, but developers didn't turn out in droves to make tablet-friendly apps. On top of that, Honeycomb wasn't even ready yet.

The iPhoto demo was the key to the whole event's message, as far as I saw it. A "post-PC" world means a change in the way we input information. Software that straddles the line between a computer and tablet is what Apple clearly wants to do, and they think the iPad is the ticket.

You can have a gorgeous screen, a gazillion megapixel camera, ports, sleek designs and a super quad-core processor — but if there are no apps, the device doesn't have much usability, does it?

The hype machine around Apple's events is too much, and consumers should expect bigger news for each device every two years, not every 12 months. This year, it was about the software.

by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎03-07-2012 09:48 PM

@TeddyK:

The A5X is not quad-core... it's duo-core CPU

It's the graphics processors that is quad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A5x#Apple_A5X_.28Dual-core.29

by Trusted Expert on ‎03-08-2012 05:53 AM

Really though, what major benefit is there to having multiple cores on a device that does not really allow for real multi-tasking?

JB

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.