Tech Blog

Nikon Announces Android-powered S800C Camera with WiFi and Apps

by Blogger on ‎08-30-2012 12:05 PM

Nikon S800C.png

Heads-up! Here’s another one! Nikon has announced their new COOLPIX S800C Wi-Fi enabled camera. And even better? It’s powered by Android!

Google’s mobile operating system is making its way into more places as Nikon has announced this new model. Designed to be always-connected, it can link up with your home network, your smartphone, or your tablet through a hotspot feature so that you can send and publish files quickly, from almost anywhere.

Android lets the S800C do more. Powered by Android you can connect, browse, and upload content to social networks including Facebook, Twitter, and (my personal favourite) Google+ (nerd!). It also lets you download applications and games through the Google Play store. That’s right, Nikon’s fighting back to reclaim the camera space from your smartphone AND it’s going to play games too!

The S800C isn’t a gimmick through, it’s packed with some pretty cool tech. Nikon has given it a 10x optical zoom NIKKOR lens - that’s a 25-200mm equivalent for those of you keeping score. It’s powered by their EXPEED C2 engine, a recent upgrade that enables faster autofocus and quicker write times. For those of you who like to shoot and edit your own clips, it does Full HD 1080p video recording; it will be interesting to see if we get customized video editing apps for the S800C.

It also has one of my favourite features - GPS!. I personally love geotagging my shots to share with friends and family, and consider this to be a must have for my point and shoot cameras.

The S800C is an interesting approach to a tough problem. High end and mid range cameras are as popular as ever, but many entry level and mid-range devices aren’t seeing the success they used to because of smartphones. Nikon’s bid to cut that off by integrating everything-but-the-phone smartphone tech into their camera could be exactly what this category needs. After all, who wants to burn their smartphone battery taking pictures, when you could do it with a similarly flexible device with a much better lens?

Comments
by Retired Blogger on ‎08-31-2012 10:07 AM

One dissapointing fact about the S800C is that the version of Android installed on it is Gingerbread, the older 2.3 version.This will limit its functionality in the future.

However for the basic use of the OS to enable direct upload of pictures to Instagram, Google+, Flickr etc. it will suffice, but I don't think the S800C will be able to run newer Android apps and games that well.

by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎09-02-2012 08:24 PM
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.