Tech Blog

Nintendo 3DS Comparison: 3DS or 3DS XL?

by Blogger on ‎10-21-2012 03:14 PM

3DS or 3DS XL.jpg

Since the release of the Nintendo 3DS XL you might be wondering to yourself, 'What handheld is right for me: the 3DS or the XL?'.  When I had a chance to tinker with the XL I asked myself the same question and doubted whether my purple 3DS would suffice.  In a comparison, can we honestly say that bigger is better?.  Perhaps, but that really depends upon what you're looking for in your gaming experience.  

If you're thinking about getting one of the two handhelds, there's a lot to consider when making your purchase.  To make that easier for you I've outlined the differences between both handhelds and have offered you a little bit of  my own insights.  I truly hope this will help those of you still deciding which is more worth your while.  Happy hunting and game on! 

Design

One of the finest assets the 3DS XL has to offer is the matte finish, which is smooth to the touch and smudge-proof unlike the 3DS which is prone to smudges.  I don't think the 3DS' finish was a down flaw, but it's nice not having to clean the handheld after every use.  Another XL design feature worth mentioning is the bigger size and rounded corners.  I've never had a problem with the 3DS' smaller size, but I can see it being annoying for someone with bigger hands.  The XL simply offers a better grip and more room to work with without ever feeling cramped or uncomfortable.  

Another feature I really enjoyed about the XL's design are the two flip adjustments: one for gaming and the other for watching videos etc. The original design didn't offer these two locked positions, instead just one adjustable flip.  That's fine, but getting just the right angle can be a pain if you're trying to watch something without any disturbances.  

Button Layout

Nintendo has made some slight adjustments to the controls, but nothing too substantial.  The circle pad is now slightly more concave than before giving you a better grip, that's great if you're playing for longer periods of time.  In addition, the left and right bumpers now offer a firm pressure and the Select, Home and Start buttons are more pronounced and easier to press than before.  You'll also notice that the 3D slider actually clicks when you change to 2D mode unlike before, as well as a readjusted stylus slot.  One of my biggest gripes, which I expressed in my review of the XL, was the adjusted headphone jack, which has moved from the bottom middle to the bottom left.  I still can't figure out why Nintendo made this adjustment considering how uncomfortable it is resting your hand against your earbuds, headphones etc., not to mention the damage this pressure can put on the jack.   

Picture Quality

One of the biggest sacrifices you'll be making with the XL is the bloated picture quality.  Not every game is going to look this way, but when one is it'll be pretty evident that the quality is muddy.  You'll generally see this with games that are more pixelated due to graphical limitations.  Whether this affects your experience is up to you and how immersed you are in the gameplay so if you don't mind the sacrifice it shouldn't be much of a drawback. 

Screen Size 

The XL's "90 percent larger screens" offers much more than size alone.  During my time with the XL I felt much more immersed in the games I was playing, whether it was a virtual console title or a new release.  While some games looked more muddy than others, I was so immersed most of the time the picture quality didn't make much of a difference.  It really depends upon what you're playing and how immersed you already are in the gameplay experience.  

Conclusion

Even after this rundown, I still can't tell you whether one is better than the other.  Both have their perks and are really dependent upon the person playing.  I may have had doubts about my 3DS, but overall I'm really happy with the gameplay experiences it's offered me even if it means I am sacrificing size and feel.  Think about what works for you and what you look for in your personal experience when making the choice.  Good luck! 

You can get the 3DS XL for $199.99 and is available in both Blue and Red at Future Shop: 

SKU: 10195056

The Nintendo 3DS XL puts a super-sized 3D experience in your hands, letting you enjoy amazing 3D gaming on the go. Both screens are 90% larger than the original 3DS, and the top screen provides cool 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. With an ever-growing selection of games to choose from you'll enjoy an immersive experience anywhere you go.

SKU: 10195057

The Nintendo 3DS XL puts a super-sized 3D experience in your hands, letting you enjoy amazing 3D gaming on the go. Both screens are 90% larger than the original 3DS, and the top screen provides cool 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. With an ever-growing selection of games to choose from you'll enjoy an immersive experience anywhere you go.

You can get the 3DS for $169.99 and is available in Midnight Purple, Pearl Pink, Aqua Blue, Flame Red and Cosmo Black at Future Shop: 

SKU: 10205080

The Nintendo 3DS puts the power of cool 3D gaming in the palm of your hand. Its dual screen design remains true to its predecessor, but the top screen can display 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. And with a great selection of games to choose from, you'll enjoy an immersive experience anywhere you go.

SKU: 10193594

Enjoy 3D gaming, videos, and photos on the go - without glasses! The Nintendo 3DS features two screens: a touch-sensitive screen on the bottom and a larger, 3D-capable screen on top. The 3D screen comes with a 3D Depth Slider so you can dial up and maximize the 3D effect, turn it off completely, or go anywhere in-between. Explore a new dimension of portable entertainment!

SKU: 10157045

Prepare yourself for a portable gaming experience like no other. The Nintendo 3DS system is here, offering truly 3-dimensional gaming with unprecedented depth and interactivity, so you see and feel your games in an entirely new way. With all the features you love about the Nintendo DS, and a host of new ones, the 3DS creates a truly lasting impression.

SKU: 10160370

Prepare yourself for a portable gaming experience like no other. The Nintendo 3DS system is here, offering truly 3-dimensional gaming with unprecedented depth and interactivity, so you see and feel your games in an entirely new way. With all the features you love about the Nintendo DS, and a host of new ones, the 3DS creates a truly lasting impression.

SKU: 10157047

Comments
by Blogger on ‎10-25-2012 07:29 AM

Size does matter for me, and after playing the Nintendo 3DS XL it's hard to go back to the cramped regular 3DS screen.  Though it does stretch the image, it's a small sacrifice for the much better gaming experience.  My only wish is that the the XL came in Midnight Purple!  ugh!  :smileytongue:

by Blogger on ‎10-25-2012 07:59 AM

ahahah yeah, I know what you mean Paul!  I'm not so torn anymore, but the XL is still a tempting choice.  They totally need more colours! 

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.