Tech Blog

Nintendo 3DS XL Legend of Zelda Bundle Unboxing [Photos]

by Blogger on ‎11-06-2013 10:52 PM - last edited on ‎12-06-2013 01:40 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

Nintendo 3DS XL Legend of Zelda Bundle.jpg

Nintendo 3DS XL Legend of Zelda Bundle

Hot on the the heels of the release of the Wii U Legend of Zelda Deluxe Bundle comes a brand new limited edition Nintendo 3DS XL bundle to celebrate the next entry in the acclaimed action-adventure series, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Available for pre-orders now, and releasing on November 22, 2013, this special Nintendo 3DS XL Legend of Zelda package features a stunning gold-and-black Nintendo 3DS XL hardware unit adorned with the iconic Triforce symbol, and a download code to access the full game of The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

I was lucky enough to recently get my hands on this limited edition Nintendo 3DS XL Zelda bundle and took the opportunity to take some photos so I could show you how awesome this package is. Let's have a look shall we!

Nintendo 3DS XL Zelda - Box.jpg

Beginning with the famous gold-coloured cartridge from The Legend of Zelda on NES, the series has always been associated with this radiant colour, and with the launch of Nintendo 3DS XL Zelda bundle this tradition continues.

The first thing you'll notice is that the Nintendo 3DS XL box is coloured half gold and half black, which represents the two parallel worlds, Hyrule, and a world reminiscent of the Dark World called Lorule, that our hero must travel between in A Link Between Worlds. You'll also see on the right side a 3D image of Link, as the game is presented in full stereoscopic 3D, and a flat "living painting" version of Link showing off his new ability to stick to walls and travel through worlds via special cracks that act as portals.

As cool as the box is, the real magic lies inside.  Here's what included in the box:

- a special edition Nintendo 3DS XL hardware featuring a gold-and-black exterior and the franchise signature Triforce symbol

- stylus (which slots into the Nintendo 3DS XL)

- 4GB SD card

- instruction manual

- AC adaptor

- 6 Augmented Reality (AR) cards

- download code to access the full version of The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds from the Nintendo eShop

Nintendo 3DS XL - Zelda Handheld Gold and Black.jpgThis special edition bundle was just revealed last week during a video announcement starring famed Zelda franchise producer, Eiji Aonuma. I must say the included Nintendo 3DS XL looks great with its gold overlay and I especially love the mirrored gold and black Triforce insignias that appear on the two exterior flaps.

Nintendo 3DS XL Zelda Handheld.jpgOpening up the Nintendo 3DS XL reveals that the inside is also coloured with the same vibrant gold tint, and even the bottom Select, Home and Start buttons are coloured the same. The remainder of the inputs, including the X/Y/A/B buttons, D-pad, Circle Pad, Power button, and 3D Slider remain the same colour as on a traditional Nintendo 3DS XL game console.

Nintendo 3DS XL Zelda Handheld and Download Code.jpgInside the plastic bag housing the instruction manual you'll also find the download code to redeem your digital copy of The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds from the Nintendo eShop. Downloading the game is a snap, all you need to do is visit the eShop and select "Redeem Download Code" from the Settings/Other menu, and then enter your unique 16-digit download code. Since the bundle comes with a 4GB SD card pre-inserted, you download the game immediately and start enjoying after a brief install. Easy as pie!

Nintendo 3DS - Augment Reality Cards.jpgRounding out the package are 6 AR cards, which come standard in every Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL box. By placing these cards on a flat surface, and looking at them through the outer two Nintendo 3DS cameras, you can bring your favourite characters to life. Fan favourite Nintendo characters such as Mario, Kirby, and Link, each have their own cards that are used to make them appear in your 3D space, or you can use the Question Block card to pose and snap 3D photos with your created Mii characters and play pre-installed AR games.

So, want to see the full contents all together?  Sure you do!  Here's what you'll find inside:

zelda.jpg

The full contents of the limited edition Nintendo 3DS XL Legend of Zelda Bundle

Pretty awesome, eh?

Now in case you're wondering what the differences are between the standard Nintendo 3DS and the newer Nintendo 3DS XL, we've previously compared the two consoles and I encourage you to have a look. The most important difference between the two is, and you can probably guess it by the name "XL", the size of the consoles. Both screens on the Nintendo 3DS XL are 90% larger than the original Nintendo 3DS, which makes a dramatic difference when playing games. I found the bigger screen on the Nintendo 3DS XL to be so much better that after just a few hours with the console, I never wanted to go back to playing on the smaller, cramped screen on the standard Nintendo 3DS. It's really that much better.

There are a few more practical improvements on the Nintendo 3DS XL, including a more concave Circle Pad grip for better control, and bigger, more accessible bottom row buttons. Other changes such as the matte finish (vs. the shiny finish on Nintendo 3DS) will simply come down to personal preference. I prefer the matte finish on the Nintendo 3DS XL simply because it's impossible to leave smudge marks, so it requires less cleaning maintenance than a regular Nintendo 3DS.

It's pretty exciting that we're on the cusp of a new entry in The Legend of Zelda series, and I'm excited that it's set in the same world as the 1991 Super Nintendo game, A Link To The Past (still my favourite entry in the series).  I also can't wait to try out Link's new living painting ability to see what unique puzzles and surprises are in store. A Link Between Worlds is looking to set aside some of the core elements that have defined Zelda games in the past, including linear dungeon exploring, in favour of a more open-world system where you can explore dungeons in any order you choose. That change alone is really huge so it'll be interesting to see what other elements Nintendo has experimented with.

To see A Link Between Worlds in action, take a peek at this E3 trailer below:

So, are you excited about the Nintendo 3DS XL Legend of Zelda bundle?  What are your thoughts on the new Legend of Zelda game for Nintendo 3DS?  Let us know in the comments section below!

Related Articles:

Shin Megami Tensei IV - Review
Project X Zone - Review

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Review

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Review

Also, be sure to visit the futureshop.ca gaming section for all the latest latest Nintendo 3DS games and accessories!

Paul Hunter

By , Gaming Editor

Paul Hunter is the Future Shop Tech Blog Gaming Editor & Editor-in-Chief of NextGen Player.  He works out of Toronto, Ontario, and is thankful for having a loving and patient wife who doesn't mind his 40 hour a week obsession with gaming 

Share this article:     

For more information on the Nintendo 3DS XL Legend of Zelda Bundle, please visit the following futureshop.ca product page:

Nintendo 3DS XL Legend of Zelda Bundle

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.