Tech Blog

Not entirely sold on iOS4

by Retired Blogger on ‎06-28-2010 11:10 PM - last edited on ‎05-02-2012 07:39 PM by Retired Moderator

For me, and my somewhat aged iPod Touch (2G), iOS4 hasn’t really been as big a benefit as I’d cautiously   hoped.

Going into the upgrade, I knew that I’d not be able to use a Bluetooth keyboard (darn), multitasking (double-darn) and wallpaper images (actually, this one was a surprise).

But I had hoped that since it was an upgrade, my device would show some improvement. For example, I had thought the folders feature would help me organize some of the clutter.

But the way it works, the contents of the folder are represented by small icons on the face of the folder icon. Get a few of them sitting side by side, and they kinda look the same, making it harder to find the right folder containing the app I want to run -- I know, I have to actually read the title of the app. Slower than just checking for a visual clue.
photo.jpg
What would work for me is the ability to choose the icon or image to represent the folder, or maybe to tweak the colour of the folder or folder border. Giving a more obvious folder differentiation makes it much easier to quickly find the right one.

Oh, and the battery life. iOS4 seems to drain the battery faster than the previous OS version. Remember, this is an iPod Touch (2G) without multitasking or the other features that could contribute to power loss. It appears to be a somewhat known issue, so perhaps this could be addressed in an update.

So yeah, I’m thinking that I’d be better off back in the previous version of the OS. Things still worked, I was somewhat organized, and my battery lasted longer. Sadly, there doesn’t seem to be a way to revert to that previous version.

Comments
by Ceridwyn2(anon) on ‎06-29-2010 07:39 AM

I've noticed a decrease on the battery life, too. Hope that addressed ASAP.

by Retired Blogger on ‎06-29-2010 07:59 AM

@Ceridwyn2: it's getting pretty frustrating. I charged up my iPod Touch last night, this morning the battery bar was red. It drained overnight. Something's amiss and Apple needs to look into it.

by Blogger on ‎06-29-2010 09:09 AM

I think the inability to roll back an OS update is one of the weak spots in the whole system. I wish you could just turn back the **bleep** or something...ah well.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.