Tech Blog

PS3 Comparison: PS3 Slim or PS3 Super Slim?

by Blogger on ‎11-03-2012 03:55 PM - last edited on ‎06-24-2013 09:43 AM by Administrator

PS3 Slim or Super Slim.jpg

Back in September, Sony unveiled another new model of the PS3 Slim, the PS3 Super Slim.  Now totaling at three upgrades of the console, this looks like the last before Sony announces its next big hardware release.  While that news is still a little too far in the future, there's still plenty of time to enjoy and relish the PS3.  With the holidays nearly here, you might even want to consider grabbing the Super Slim if you don't already have the console or are looking for an upgrade.

Want to know a little bit more about the Super Slim before making the purchase?  Here's what you should expect!

Smaller Design: The Super Slim is stated as being both 20% smaller and 25% lighter than the Slim and it definitely shows when you look at the new design.  Weighing in at 4.5 lbs, the Super Slim sheds nearly 3 lbs from the Slim model and 6.5 lbs from the original model.  Was it a necessary move for Sony?  That's debatable, but if you're yearning for a smaller, lighter hardware this is definitely it.  

New Design: In terms of looks, the Super Slim unfortunately boasts the shiny, smudge-prone exterior we've all grown to loathe.  Really, was the Slim's matte finish that bad?  I'm also not a fan of the top-loader slider, I thought we were past that point of disc loading.  Apparently not.  

No Hardware Noise: This is probably one of the nicest new features of the Super Slim.  It literally makes no noise.  That might seem a little weird if you're used to that subtle (or chugging, depending on the shape of your console) hum that kept it going.  You can thank the dedicated fan space for that one.  

psXR1.jpeg

New Button Configuration: Sony has decided to drop both the touch-sensitive buttons (PS3) and clicky buttons (PS3 Slim) we're used to for a long panel that can be pressed at either end.  It works fine, but not a necessary upgrade.  

PSX Backwards Compatibility: Just like the Slim, the Super Slim only offers backwards compatibility with PSX games, not PS2 games.  I know, I know... Luckily, you can still access the PSX music files for your listening enjoyment (always wish I would have known that cool feature when I was using my now-decrepit Walkman). 

Increased Hard Drive Capacity: Here's another winning factor the Super Slim has to offer. The console costs $299.99 for the 500GB model and $269 for the 250GB model.  Currently, Future Shop is bundled the 500GB model with Assassin's Creed 3 and a 30-day trial of PlayStation Plus, while the 250GB model is bundled with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition and a voucher for Dust 514.  You really can't get much better than that for the price.  

Conclusion: Is the Super Slim a necessary purchase?  In my opinion, no.  The console's exterior is a bit underwhelming compared to the Slim and the disc loading method is outdated.  While no noise and increased hard drive capacity are indeed pluses, I'm not sure if they would rule any decision-making.  

Below I've linked you to both the PS3 Slim and Super Slim bundles if you're interested in checking them out.  Good luck and happy hunting! 

PS3 Super Slim

SKU: 10221164

Experience the full entertainment capabilities of PlayStation with the smaller, streamlined PlayStation 3. Enjoy the rich library of PlayStation software in a case that's 25% smaller and 20% lighter than existing PlayStation models. Features include online gaming through PlayStation Network, comprehensive media playback capabilities, whisper quiet operation and Blu-ray functionality.

SKU: 10227444

Fight for the future of your people in Assassin's Creed III for PlayStation 3. Taking on the role of Connor, this epic title continues the stunning Assassin's Creed story, bringing it into the American Revolution. This PlayStation 3 value bundle includes a PlayStation 3 Slim console with 500GB hard drive, copy of Assassin's Creed III and 30 days of PlayStation Plus membership.

PS3 Slim

SKU: 10177437

With the PlayStation3 320GB system, you get free PlayStation Network membership, built-in Wi-Fi, and 320GB of hard disk drive storage for games, music, videos and photos. And every PS3 system comes with a built-in Blu-ray player to give you pristine picture quality and the best high-definition viewing experience available. Plus, this summer bundle comes with inFamous 2.

SKU: 10181734

With the PlayStation3 320GB system, you get free PlayStation Network membership, built-in Wi-Fi, and 320GB of hard disk drive storage for games, music, videos and photos. And every PS3 system comes with a built-in Blu-ray player to give you pristine picture quality and the best high-definition viewing experience available. Plus, this fall bundle comes with Uncharted 3.

Check out the PS3 Slim Product Page for even more FS bundles. 

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.