Staying indoor this weekend? And looking for a meal to prepare? We share great recipes ranging from a hearty chili to meat balls with garlic bread to pumpkin cookies for dessert. Enjoy!
Crockpot Chili (adapted from Small Wallet, Big Appetite)
- 500g (1 lb) minced beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 400g (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 Tbsp tomato puree
- 2-3 Tbsp. chili powder (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 410g (15 oz.) tins red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- Sauté onions in a skillet until soft.
- Make a hole in the onions and add ground beef allowing it to sit untouched for 2-3 minutes while it browns. Then stir and cook until no longer pink. Drain.
- Mix all ingredients except cornstarch and water in 3-4 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours. Turn heat to high. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth and add to chili, stirring well. Uncover and cook for about 15 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- If you are storing the chili in the freezer make sure to cool completely. Then add to a labeled storage bag. Store for 4 to 6 months
MeatBalls with Garlic Bread (adapted from Martha Stewart)
- 3 hoagie rolls
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Tear 1 roll into pieces; pulse in a food processor until fine crumbs form. In a large bowl, toss crumbs with 1/3 cup water. Add beef, egg, 1 teaspoon garlic, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon oregano; mix just until combined. Gently form mixture into 12 meatballs.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high; swirl to coat. Add meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add crushed and whole tomatoes with juice (breaking up tomatoes), 1 teaspoon garlic, teaspoon oregano, and pinch of sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a boil; reduce to a rapid simmer and cook until meatballs are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, split 2 rolls and place, cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon garlic; season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Serve meatballs with garlic bread.
Iced Pumpkin Cookies (Adapted from AllRecipes)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups Stevia in the Raw (or 1 1/2 cups sugar)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp melted light butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup yogurt and Stevia (or sugar). Add pumpkin, egg, and 1 tsp. vanilla to yogurt mixture, and mix until creamy. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop on cookie sheet by tablespoonful; flatten slightly.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool cookies, then drizzle glaze with fork. To make the glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, milk, melted butter and 1 tsp. vanilla. Add milk as needed to achieve drizzling consistency. Enjoy!
The powerful high-speed motor works hard and fast to accomplish small jobs with ease. Chop herbs, onions, garlic; grind spices, hard cheese; purée baby foods; blend homemade mayo and flavoured butter - all in this one compact machine. You have virtually unlimited options with the Cuisinart Elite Collection Chopper/Grinder. Enjoy!
Superbly designed for high performance and ease of use, the Cuisinart Elite Collection 12-Cup (3 L) has the power, capacity, versatility, precision, and accessories to handle any task. From the two nested and sealed bowls to the adjustable slicing disc and reversible shredding disc, these incredible features create multiple food processors in one!
This KitchenAid Artisan Stand mixer features a tilting head and 325 Watts of power. 10 speed control harnesses the power of the durable, direct-drive transmission, letting you achieve just the right level of viscosity with little to no effort. It comes complete with a coated flat beater, dough hook wire whip and pouring shield.
The Cuisinart Power Advantage 7-Speed Hand Mixer flawlessly and easily mixes even the heaviest ingredients. From dense cookie dough to whipped cream, the powerful motor with automatic feedback can perform any mixing task. And the precision touchpad with digital display shifts speeds with just one touch!
Elegant and functional, the Bosch HBL5650 30-inch double wall oven features a dual oven in a single, flush-to-wall unit. It's equipped with amazing cooking features like True European Convection, accurate cooking presets, and a huge 4.7 cubic foot oven capacity (per oven).
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.