Tech Blog

Review: Kirby 20th Anniversary Dream Collection

by Blogger on ‎10-12-2012 08:05 AM

dy19I.jpeg

When it comes to anniversary collections, I have some pretty high standards.  And for good reason, any publisher planning on releasing a bundle ought to make something extensive, elaborate and worthy of any devoted fan's time.  A keen attention to detail can be so affirming, there really is no better way of saying 'thank you' to the fans.  Luckily the Kirby 20th Anniversary Dream Collection on the Wii offers plenty of fan favourites while offering lots of additional features in the mix.  Whether you're an all-time Kirby fan or are looking for a gateway into the Kirby series, this collection is well worth your time.  

So what exactly does the collection offer?  We've got Kirby's Dream Land (GB), Kirby's Adventure (NES), Kirby Super Star (SNES), Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB), Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES) and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64).  If you know the series you might catch a few glaring absences like Kirby's Pinball Land, Nightmare in Dream Land and The Amazing Mirror, but there's still plenty to look forward to, particularly favourites like Adventure, Dream Land 2 and Super Star. The collection may be condensed, but it's still a memorable one.  

This Dream Collection also features several other goodies including a history book  and soundtrack showcasing the past 20 years.  There's some amazing music worth reminiscing over, particularly "Green Greens" (Adventure), "Meddlesome Marx" (Super Star), "Ripple Field: Ocean Waves", "0² Battle" (Crystal Shards), "Fountain of Dreams" (Air Ride), "Canvas Canyon" (Canvas Curse) and  "C-R-O-W-N-E-D" (Return to Dream Land) -- I was really hoping for "Stage Theme 1" from Kirby Avalanche, but I guess you can't have everything. 

In addition, you'll also find a dynamic timeline with music samples, videos, random historical facts and three included episodes of the Kirby animated series.  It makes for a nice companion alongside the history book, and offers a little more than I would have anticipated on the game disc.  Other worthwhile features are the Kirby Challenge Stages which feature some tough time challenges for you to explore.  Kirby has always been ludicrously easy as far as platformers go, so these Challenge Stages add a little extra something to your experience.  

When it comes to Kirby, challenge certainly isn't everything.  What I've always admired about the series is how it compensates by offering plenty of colourfully varied worlds to explore, and upbeat music that compliments the look and feel.  Another highlight of these games are each of Kirby's upgrades, which are just as unique as the environments themselves.  The Kirby Anniversary Dream Collection showcases just about everything you ever loved about the series and more.  Although the playable game collection really only covers the first 10 years of the series, it offers all the heart you could ever want.  Memories never tasted so sweet. 

Check out the 20th Anniversary Trailer: 

Kirby 20th Anniversary Dream Colleciton is definitely worth checking out if you're looking for some care-free platforming fun. You can check it out at Future Shop! 

SKU: 10218122

Complete with 6 classic games, soundtrack CD and anniversary booklet. Jump into an interactive celebration of Kirby's 20th anniversary with Kirby's Dream Collection Special Edition.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.