Tech Blog

Review: Microsoft Surface RT

by Blogger on ‎01-19-2013 10:29 AM - last edited on ‎01-21-2013 10:26 AM by Administrator

b880d55e-1f79-4fba-b1d3-cf31a2ffd9cd.jpg

Today we’re looking at the Microsoft Surface RT Tablet. It's one of the most exciting gadgets that came out in 2012 and is now available through Future Shop nationwide. It was released to plenty of oohs and aahs, surprising the tech word and generating a whole lot of excitement. Let's take a closer look at what you can expect.

So far this looks like the best tablet you can get if you’re looking to get to work and be productive. The fact that it comes with a fully functional version of the Microsoft Office suite pre-installed. That means you can get down to business as usual right out of the box without spending more for an additional office licence. That is huge for business users. What's more, the integrated kickstand lets you prop up the Surface on to any desk or table. This is great if you’ve got a keyboard you want to use like one of the compatible Microsoft touch and Type Covers, or really any other bluetooth keyboard you want. Actually since the surface has USB support you can even use any other standard USB keyboard with it if you’ve got a lot of typing to do. The same goes for mice and other bluetooth or USB compatible devices.

That makes the surface as comparable to an ultrabook as it is to a tablet. In fact it's arguable that the Surface bridges the gap between those categories. It has the formfactor of a tablet with much of the functionality you’ll find in an ultrabook. The only real caveat is that this unit runs Windows RT, which won’t let you install Windows 8 ‘desktop’ apps. There is a desktop mode so you can use Windows Explorer and stuff like that, but if you’ve got special desktop only software (like Photoshop, for example) you’ll have to find an alternative in the Windows Store. That's unfortunately one of the software limitations you get when using laptop hardware. This shouldn’t be a big hinderance really and won’t impact most people for the usual web surfing, and productivity tasks but if you do have a particular need for the full Windows 8 experience rather than Windows RT, you’ll want to wait for the Surface Pro or another Windows 8 tablet.

The hardware itself is solidly built. I’ve been a long-time fan of Microsoft hardware, as it usually has pretty solid build quality, known to last through the years with few exceptions. The Surface seems like it's following in that tradition. It's got a 10.6” screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio giving you a full 1366x768 resolution. There are nicely beveled edges making the unit comfortable in your hand and giving it a slick hard-lined look. The wear-resistant magnesium VaporMg casing feels great to the touch and it's not too heavy at 1.5 lbs. Onboard you’ll also find an HD camera, Micro-HDMI, a USB 2.0 port, and a microSD port.

The optional Touch Cover combines a smart magnetic cover with a fully functional touchpad and keyboard. Its quite thin and responsive, attaching very securely to the device. It certainly inspires confidence. It takes some getting used to typing on the keyboard when there is no tactile feedback but the Surface tries to compensate for this by emulating audible keypress noises so you know your keystrokes are registering.

Overall I’m quite happy with the Surface RT. I thought using Windows RT would feel like a big compromise but in reality, after a week of use, I didn’t really feel that way at all. It was a joy to use. It had snappy performance and I found it easy to do whatever I wanted to on it, for the most part. As the Microsoft Store expands its selection of apps this should be even better, but even as it stands, for web browsing, work productivity, and general day-to-day use, I was pretty comfortable sticking with the Surface RT. I could have put it down to use my notebook PC running full Windows 8 whenever I wanted but found that I never actually needed to. The Surface RT was often more convenient than my notebook, and more functional than my tablet.

SKU: 10204217

The Microsoft Surface tablet with Windows RT is a productivity powerhouse that goes everywhere you do. This slim, lightweight, and gorgeous 10.6" tablet is equipped with the Windows RT operating system, which features a touch-optimized interface and interactive live tiles. It comes with touch-enhanced versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

SKU: 10204218

The Microsoft Surface tablet with Windows RT is a productivity powerhouse that goes everywhere you do. This slim, lightweight, and gorgeous 10.6" tablet is equipped with the Windows RT operating system, which features a touch-optimized interface and interactive live tiles. It comes with touch-enhanced versions of Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as the black Touch Cover.

Comments
by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎01-19-2013 11:04 AM

I have one additional warning.... flash.

When I went to test the unit, I was shocked to find my fav GlobalTV and CTV news sites would not work.  There was an error that I needed flash.  With Android tablets, I know there's is an flash app you can install.  Is there such an app for the Surface?   Otherwise, I will need to wait until the Pro version comes out.

by Praks on ‎05-03-2013 12:34 AM - last edited on ‎05-03-2013 07:48 AM by Moderator

Finally Microsoft's come up with an amazing os, still needs tweaking, but the surface rt tablet is stunning! reviews short and here's one i got online that's not all that long..

This should help you out if you are also looking towards buying it..:smileyhappy:

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.