Tech Blog

Review: Pokémon Black and White Version 2

by Blogger ‎10-22-2012 11:18 AM - edited ‎10-22-2012 11:18 AM

3vbz3.jpeg

I remember the first time I played a Pokémon game, spending hours upon hours traveling through the Kanto region discovering strange new creatures (commonly referred to as "Pocket Monsters" back then). My imagination would be racing as I would catch and collect new characters to add to my all-star team.  It wasn't always easy and I faced some brutal defeats, but me and my team managed to pull through each and every time.  It was the perfect time to be a ten-year-old, and stuck with me well into my later teens and twenties.  Every few months or so I'll grab my copy of Pokémon Blue, Yellow or Silver (and, if I'm lucky enough to find it, my N64 Transfer Pack), and reminisce over those memories.  

It still fascinates me how far the franchise has come over the years.  It's changed a lot and has branched off in some ambitious new ways, but it still manages to stay true to its original vision.  Each new release may offer new creatures and areas to explore, but that's never given the developer, Game Freaks, a reason to significantly change the way the game looks and feels. Even branch-offs like Pokémon Stadium, Mystery Dungeon or Conquest have managed to keep what's most near and dear to us. We don't get to experience that enough in the video game industry, but every chance we do is worth admiring.  

Since the release of Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald, I've been a little too set in my ways.  I was so comfortable with the pokémon I already knew that I didn't really feel it was necessary for me to commit to the change.   Since then, that number has quickly rose to the 600s, much more than I ever would have imagined.  It took me a really long time to get over that fact and relish the series and, most of all, realize that it isn't much different than it was when I was a kid.  

Pokémon Black and White Version 2 (I got a copy of Black 2) has been a perfect example of this, combining everything I ever loved about the older titles while incorporating several fresh new features.  If you checked out my 10 Reasons To Buy Pokémon Black/White Version 2 piece a few weeks back, there's plenty reason to buy this new instalment in the series.  Whether we're talking about PokéStar Studios (more addicting than you're led to believe, making movies is a great pastime when you need a break from grinding), Hidden Grottos (which are challenging to find, but worth the search -- no cheating!), Pokémon World Tournament (a great throwback for any Elite Four fiend) or some old pokémon favourites (perfect for any nostalgic), this new instalment in the series combines everything I could have ever wished for in a Pokémon game.   

A friend of mine made a great point in that Pokémon Black/White Version 2 offers a much more substantial experience than, say, a third instalment would have offered (i.e. Pokémon Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum).  This may be a direct sequel to Pokémon Black/White, the first of its kind, but it offers much more than you would ever expect from the series.  I'm actually hoping that more sequels will be released in the future so we get to experience something bigger and better every Generation.  Anyone still reluctant to make the purchase should know better than to miss out on this compelling new release.  

I never really imagined I would be as enthused as I am. I haven't felt this way in years, but this served as a great return to the series for me.  All of those childhood memories are still a part of me and continue to flourish, even when I lost faith in the vision.  There's no stopping it either and, personally, I wouldn't want it any other way.  

If you want to check out Pokémon Black and White Version 2 for yourself, they're available at Future Shop: 

SKU: 10172244

Return to the captivating Unova region two years after the events of the original Pokemon Black Version and Pokémon White Version games. In the Pokémon Black Version 2 and Pokemon White Version 2 games, players can explore new areas, discover gyms with new leaders and see how everything has changed in the last two years.

SKU: 10172245

Return to the captivating Unova region two years after the events of the original Pokemon Black Version and Pokémon White Version games. In the Pokémon Black Version 2 and Pokemon White Version 2 games, players can explore new areas, discover gyms with new leaders and see how everything has changed in the last two years.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.