Tech Blog

Announcements

Best Buy and Future Shop are consolidating as Best Buy. This means the products, services, and features you have come to expect from Future Shop and FutureShop.ca will now be available at Best Buy and BestBuy.ca. We have plans to invest up to $200 million to build a leading multi-channel customer experience on the Best Buy brand.

Visit futureshop.ca for more details & click here to learn more about what this means for the Tech Yeah Community.

Have a question about technology? Join the Best Buy Plug-in Community to have it answered!

Samsung Galaxy S III: Hands-On First Impressions [video]

by Retired Blogger on ‎06-05-2012 03:23 PM - last edited on ‎07-16-2012 03:52 PM by Administrator

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-inside_title.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy S III is definitely the phone of the moment and will be, at least for a short while, the new King of Phones. Yesterday, I had a chance to go hands-on with the phone and recorded an in-depth video for your viewing pleasure. In the video I talk to representatives from Samsung Canada about the Galaxy S III, and they show me some of the phone’s stand-out features. You can check out the video, and some still pictures of Samsung’s latest below, which is being released on June 20th.

After the meeting with Samsung, I got to take to phone home for the evening, so I was able play with it for a little while, test out the camera, and run some benchmark tests. My first impressions of it are good. TeddyK will be reviewing the Galaxy S III for the Tech Blog, so you’ll be able to check back soon for his thoughts on the phone.

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-9.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy S III will be available in Canada at Future Shop, in both white and dark-blue, from nearly every carrier under the sun. It is coming to Bell, Rogers, Sasktel, Tbaytel and Telus on June 20th, and you can pre-order it from.... If you pre-order the Galaxy S III now, you’ll also receive a $20 gift card when you pick up the phone.

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-26.jpg

You can check out some more pictures of the phone below, a slideshow of screenshots from the phone's software, a slideshow of larger additional images of the phone, and a slideshow of images taken with the phone’s camera. You can view the images in both these slideshows full-sized on Picasa.

Galaxy S III specs:

• Processor: Snapdragon S4 Dual Core 1.5 GHz Qualcomm MSM8960 Chipset
  • OS (Shipping): ICS 4.0.4
  • Data: LTE and HSPA+ 42 Mbps 
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Dimensions: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm
  • Weight: 133g
  • Memory: 16/32GB internal memory (SGH-i747) Expandable microSD up to 32GB
  • Display: 4.8 HD Super AMOLED 1280x720 (306ppi)
  • Connectivity: NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, DLNA, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n, MHL Video Out
  • Camera: 8MP Rear-facing, 1.9MP Front-facing
  • Battery: 2100 mAh

SKU: 10206612

The latest member of the Samsung Galaxy S family is here, and it's ready to provide an out-of-this-world experience. The Galaxy S III is designed for maximum power and performance, with an intuitive user interface and simplified approaches to sharing. Powered by Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, the Galaxy S III offers the ultimate in mobile technology.

SKU: 10206613

The latest member of the Samsung Galaxy S family is here, and it's ready to provide an out-of-this-world experience. The Galaxy S III is designed for maximum power and performance, with an intuitive user interface and simplified approaches to sharing. Powered by Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, the Galaxy S III offers the ultimate in mobile technology.

SKU: 10206616

More pictures of the Galaxy S III

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-5.jpg

Side-by-side with its predecessor, the Galaxy S II. As you can see while the S III itself isn't that much bigger, the screen is much larger.

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-2.jpg

A stack of Samsungs: The Galaxy S II on top, S III in the middle, and Nexus at the bottom.

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-30.jpg

Even with LTE, the combo of a 2100 mAh battery and the Snapdragon S4 CPU should give the S III great battery-life. You can also see the microSD slot in this picture.

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-36.jpg

The Quadrant benchmark score shows that the Galaxy S III is pretty damn fast!

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-38.jpg

The LTE network speeds are pretty good too. I was testing a Bell version of the S III.

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-17.jpg

Some of the Samsung cases and covers that will be available for the Galaxy S III.

Slideshow of screenshots of the Galaxy S III software:  

Slideshow with additional pictures of the Galaxy S III:

Slideshow of pictures taken with the Galaxy S III camera:

All pictures © Alex Davies 

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.