Tech Blog

Samsung Galaxy S III: Hands-On First Impressions [video]

by Retired Blogger on ‎06-05-2012 03:23 PM - last edited on ‎07-16-2012 03:52 PM by Administrator

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-inside_title.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy S III is definitely the phone of the moment and will be, at least for a short while, the new King of Phones. Yesterday, I had a chance to go hands-on with the phone and recorded an in-depth video for your viewing pleasure. In the video I talk to representatives from Samsung Canada about the Galaxy S III, and they show me some of the phone’s stand-out features. You can check out the video, and some still pictures of Samsung’s latest below, which is being released on June 20th.

After the meeting with Samsung, I got to take to phone home for the evening, so I was able play with it for a little while, test out the camera, and run some benchmark tests. My first impressions of it are good. TeddyK will be reviewing the Galaxy S III for the Tech Blog, so you’ll be able to check back soon for his thoughts on the phone.

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-9.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy S III will be available in Canada at Future Shop, in both white and dark-blue, from nearly every carrier under the sun. It is coming to Bell, Rogers, Sasktel, Tbaytel and Telus on June 20th, and you can pre-order it from.... If you pre-order the Galaxy S III now, you’ll also receive a $20 gift card when you pick up the phone.

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-26.jpg

You can check out some more pictures of the phone below, a slideshow of screenshots from the phone's software, a slideshow of larger additional images of the phone, and a slideshow of images taken with the phone’s camera. You can view the images in both these slideshows full-sized on Picasa.

Galaxy S III specs:

• Processor: Snapdragon S4 Dual Core 1.5 GHz Qualcomm MSM8960 Chipset
  • OS (Shipping): ICS 4.0.4
  • Data: LTE and HSPA+ 42 Mbps 
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Dimensions: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm
  • Weight: 133g
  • Memory: 16/32GB internal memory (SGH-i747) Expandable microSD up to 32GB
  • Display: 4.8 HD Super AMOLED 1280x720 (306ppi)
  • Connectivity: NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, DLNA, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n, MHL Video Out
  • Camera: 8MP Rear-facing, 1.9MP Front-facing
  • Battery: 2100 mAh

SKU: 10206612

The latest member of the Samsung Galaxy S family is here, and it's ready to provide an out-of-this-world experience. The Galaxy S III is designed for maximum power and performance, with an intuitive user interface and simplified approaches to sharing. Powered by Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, the Galaxy S III offers the ultimate in mobile technology.

SKU: 10206613

The latest member of the Samsung Galaxy S family is here, and it's ready to provide an out-of-this-world experience. The Galaxy S III is designed for maximum power and performance, with an intuitive user interface and simplified approaches to sharing. Powered by Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, the Galaxy S III offers the ultimate in mobile technology.

SKU: 10206616

More pictures of the Galaxy S III

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-5.jpg

Side-by-side with its predecessor, the Galaxy S II. As you can see while the S III itself isn't that much bigger, the screen is much larger.

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-2.jpg

A stack of Samsungs: The Galaxy S II on top, S III in the middle, and Nexus at the bottom.

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-30.jpg

Even with LTE, the combo of a 2100 mAh battery and the Snapdragon S4 CPU should give the S III great battery-life. You can also see the microSD slot in this picture.

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-36.jpg

The Quadrant benchmark score shows that the Galaxy S III is pretty damn fast!

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-38.jpg

The LTE network speeds are pretty good too. I was testing a Bell version of the S III.

Samsung Galaxy S III 700px-17.jpg

Some of the Samsung cases and covers that will be available for the Galaxy S III.

Slideshow of screenshots of the Galaxy S III software:  

Slideshow with additional pictures of the Galaxy S III:

Slideshow of pictures taken with the Galaxy S III camera:

All pictures © Alex Davies 

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.