Tech Blog

Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook Review

by Blogger on ‎05-08-2012 10:26 AM - last edited on ‎12-12-2012 11:15 AM by Retired Administrator

Samsung-Series-9-Ultrabook-2012.jpg
I have used thin and light computers in the past but never one quite like this before. On paper it's not unlike the MacBook Air from Apple but there are a lot of little differences to make this something a little more special, in my opinion. There are a lot of little details making this feel very much like a luxurious precision engineered machine that a lot of skilled work and refinement went into. It's the sort of thing that will have any tech-lover drooling in awe.

The Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook is really something you’ll want to see in person to appreciate. Pictures and text simply can’t do it justice. Once you feel it in your hands you can appreciate the very solid build feel it has with its unibody duralumin enclosure having double the strength of aluminum. When you pick it up you’ll notice just how light it is at 2.6 pounds - lighter than a 13.3” Macbook Air. When you close it, you can appreciate it being a mere half an inch thick.

612Zq7qB%2BEL.jpg

The 13.3” SuperBridge Plus widescreen display sports a glorious 400 nits of brightness. That's twice as bright as the standard notebook screen making this usable even in direct sunlight. The screen is also thankfully anti-glare which makes it even more user friendly. If you’ve been using glossy screens which have become inexplicably popular as of late you’ll really notice the difference. Powered by Intel HD Graphics 3000, this tiny machine does a surprisingly good job in the visual presentation department. It even automatically adjusts the screen brightness based on ambient light levels to save you from eye strain.

jpeg.jpgThe 128 GB SSD and 1.6 HGz Intel i5 2467m CPU make the computer pretty snappy too. It will cold boot Windows 7 in under 15 seconds. This is clearly an ultra-mobile work machine and designed for you to be able to just start it up and get straight to work in a hurry while being able to conveniently take it with you on the road. Even the power supply is tiny, with a flat mobile-phone-like form factor and weight, perfect for sliding into your laptop bag without any problematic bulges typical of the usual power bricks. The seven-hour battery ensures you won’t need to take it out of your bag too often too.

Its got all the other usual bells and whistles you’d expect; 802.11 abg/n networking, Bluetooth x3.0, Gigabit LAN, Micro HDMI, Usb 3.0, a memory card reader, et cetera. No shocks there. Nothing has really been left out. The biggest complaint I have is that the machine comes with a system recovery DVD while the unit understandably has no optical media drive. Would having the system recovery tools pre-loaded onto a USB drive or SD card have been too much to ask? That's hardly a deal breaker and when you consider that its the biggest complaint I could come up with, you’ll realize how much I love this computer. Its possibly the nicest, most high quality PC I’ve ever used.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.