Tech Blog

Simple Techs and Tricks to Help You Sleep Better

by Blogger on ‎11-07-2012 11:04 AM

Future Shop has started expanding its offerings to include items like luggage and…bedding…yes bedding. And while you might think of bedding as a “low tech” kind of thing, really the science of sleep is very interesting—and essential to your health and wellbeing. Believe it or not, if you don’t get enough sleep you start losing IQ and driving tired is considered as bad as (and maybe more common than) driving drunk.

So why do we crave (or need) more sleep in winter? This post lends some insights—Why You Need More Sleep in Winter—which is essentially we don’t get enough happy chemical serotonin and more melatonin (the sleepy one). One way to help fix this is a S.A.D. light (Seasonal Affective Disorder) that is really, really bright and give your the same spectrum as daylight. I use one in the fall and winter (especially since my office is in the basement and I’m at my desk for a long time) to help me stay chipper in the dark winter months.

10209290.jpgBut that’s only half of the equation, you have to start with a good night’s sleep first!

Future Shop has started carrying Novotech products and I’m most interested in the Novotech Standard Plush Celliant Microgel Pillow which says it will give you good support and balance the temperature around your head too (oooh the cool side of the pillow). Sounds like a nice thing to have to help you sleep.

10222517.jpgOnce you’re sleeping better with good bedding, you do need to wake up eventually. Which is where alarm clocks come in. I like having a clock that is also an iPhone dock (course if you have an iPhone 5 you’ll probably need an adapter) so I can fall asleep or wake up to music. Something like this strikes my fancy—iSound iPod Clock Radio or even this old-school looking one—Edifier Alarm Clock Radio with Bluetooth. Nice.

Sleep101 1.3.0.pngAnd as Apple is famous for saying (and has trademarked), there’s an app for that. There are apps aplenty to help you understand how well (or not) you’re sleeping. I found this post—Sleep Tracking Apps: iPad/iPhone Apps AppGuide—very informative. I’m still not convinced about putting my phone on the bed with me, but something that I can wear would be coo. Regardless here are a couple apps I’ll be trying to see if I can get a better night’s sleep:

One last thing, not really app-related per se, is that when you’re reading in bed on your tablet, turn the screen down or use a “night mode” for reading. The bright light from the screen makes your brain think that it’s daytime (still or again) and it makes it harder for you to start falling asleep (I believe it interferes with melatonin production).

How about you? Any sleep apps or tricks you like?

Comments
by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎11-07-2012 11:46 AM
On a recent vacation... "Earplugs" to cover up the highway and subway noise outside my room.
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.