Tech Blog

Squirrels just want to have fun

by Retired Blogger on ‎08-18-2009 08:35 PM - last edited on ‎09-10-2009 04:42 PM by Moderator

As a friend of mine recently pointed out, this story is 'so last week'. And yet, it seems to have legs (sorry, couldn't resist). This is the story of a curious little Squirrel, and how he became an overnight Internet sensation.

The Crasher Squirrel, as the furry little beastie has come to be known, is a denizen of Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada. By now, you've seen this photo, as it originated on the NationalGeographic.com visitor submission site.

NG_SQ.jpg

The simple backstory can be told in a few words:

My husband and I were exploring Lake Minnewanka in Banff National Park-Canada when we stopped for a timed picture of the two of us. We had our camera set up on some rocks and were getting ready to take the picture when this curious little ground squirrel appeared, became intriqued with the sound of the focusing camera and popped right into our shot! A once in a lifetime moment! We were laughing about this little guy for days!!
-- Melissa Brandts

But this is only the beginning of the saga. Within days, the curious little nut-scavenging sceen-stealer began appearing in other online photos. Methinks he likes to get around.

clinton.jpg
soccer.jpg

moon.jpg
And it's all fun and games, especially when you have mad Photoshop skills. This little guy is almost as popular as the Garden Gnome. And now, there's a way you can bring a little fuzzy fun into your images...enter the Squirrelizer!

squirrelizer.jpg

As you can see, this is a website with a single purpose and a very simple interface. It's job is to paste a clipped version of the Rascally Rodent into your image.

FSBlog.jpgIn my case, I decided that my Twitter Avatar needed a little Squirrel action, but you can use any image, adjust the settings (even blurring the background to simulate the auto-focus refocus). I ended up reducing the Squirrel scale factor to around 30, then tweaking the horizontal offset until the little bugger was centered in the frame. Finally I set the background blur to 6.

Ok, I've showed you how, now show me what you can do with the Squirrelizer and your photos! Post the results in the comments and give us all a smile :smileyhappy:

Update...Jeanie Moos from CNN posted this video item on the Crasher Squirrel. Sadly, she put Banff in British Columbia.
Message Edited by bgrier on 08-19-2009 08:51 AM
Message Edited by ElizabethS on 09-10-2009 08:42 PM

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.