Tech Blog

That was the week that was...

by Retired Blogger on ‎06-21-2010 11:13 AM - last edited on ‎06-21-2010 11:33 AM by Retired Moderator

Microsoft

Microsoft Office 2010 Now Available for Consumers Worldwide
Microsoft Corp. announced the worldwide availability of Microsoft Office 2010, Microsoft Visio 2010 and Microsoft Project 2010. Consumers can now purchase Office 2010 at more than 35,000 retail stores across the globe.

Office 2010: No Upgrade Pricing, No Transfers, No Way!
I’m a Microsoft Office devotee. Sure, cloud-based apps are fine. But I like dependable, fast software right on my own computer. My life revolves fairly happily around Outlook. You can pry Excel out of my cold dead fingers. But maybe it’ll be Excel 2007 you’ll be prying away, because Office 2010’s new pricing policy has really ticked me off.

How Does the New Hotmail Stack Up to Gmail?
This may come as a surprise, but the new Microsoft Hotmail is actually pretty good. But how does it stack up to Google's email champion, Gmail? Here's a look at the good and bad of both services.

Apple

Apple Unveils All New Mac mini
...a completely redesigned Mac® mini, featuring up to twice the graphics performance, a new HDMI port and a new SD card slot, all in an amazingly compact aluminum enclosure. Mac mini is the world’s most energy efficient desktop and starting at $699, is the most affordable way to enjoy Mac OS® X, iLife® or Mac OS X Snow Leopard® Server.

“The sleek, aluminum Mac mini packs great features, versatility and value into an elegant, (competitor),” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “With twice the graphics performance, HDMI support and industry-leading energy efficiency, customers are going to love the new Mac mini.”

Why I Returned My iPad
A little more than a week after buying the iPad, I returned it to Apple. The problem wasn't the iPad exactly, though it has some flaws. The problem was me.

iPhone4 pre-order meltdown

They denied it, but readers claim that AT&T is exposing credit cards and shipping information during iPhone 4 pre-orders. Wrong shipping information is even being used by AT&T and Apple's websites to send units to the wrong people.

What's Happening with Twitter?
From a site stability and service outage perspective, it's been Twitter's worst month since last October.

World Cup Becomes Most Popular Web Event Ever
The 2010 FIFA World Cup is now the most popular event in Web history. Record usage began last Friday before the wins and losses. Not since Obama's election day victory has the Web swayed under a greater burden of Internet-connected hope.

Your Turn
So, did I miss anything? What online story really got you going this week? Link to it in the comments!

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.