Tech Blog

The PlayStation Holiday Media Preview Event

by Blogger on ‎11-15-2011 10:17 PM - last edited on ‎05-03-2012 03:10 PM by Moderator

311749_10150882944205235_520765234_21456402_886197793_n.jpg

Sony Computer Entertainment Canada had a big media this fall to show off all the latest and greatest from the PlayStation family, including their upcoming next-gen portable gaming system, the PlayStation Vita.

Taking place at the elegant and spacious Liberty Grand Entertainment Complex, the holiday preview event brought the very best publishers from around the world into one place.  Each of them showed their upcoming holiday PlayStation gaming titles in rowed gaming station format with nice couches placed about for us to sit down and enjoy some relaxing game time.  Publishers present included Capcom (Street Fighter X Tekken), Ubisoft (Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Rocksmith), Konami (Silent Hill Downpour, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection), Warner Bros. Interactive (Batman: Arkham City), Disney Interactive (Disney Universe), EA (NHL 11), and a few others. 

Of course, being a PlayStation event there was a very sizable Sony presence that included all their top holiday titles, plus a few 2012 surprises thrown into the mix.  For starters, there was a massive Uncharted 3 display that included a large sand pile, a large cardboard cutout of protagonist Nathan Drake, and an angled bomb implanted into the sand.  There was also a Ratchet and Clank All 4 One four-player demo station and a large HD screen for playing Resistance 3 using the PlayStation Move Sharp Shooter gun peripheral. 

One of the best surprises was a sprawling Twisted Metal set-up with four-player LAN multiplayer.  I had a chance to play as classic characters such as Sweet Tooth and Reaper and try out some of the new weapons.

Even more exciting was the PlayStation Vita demo station where I had the opportunity get my first hands-on with the new handheld being launched in February next year.  The demo game used to show off the capabilities of the system was LittleBigPlanet: Vita.  I was thoroughly impressed with how the PlayStation Vita responded to my gyroscope tilts, front and rear touch screen presses, and the dual-analog controls were slick.  I was pretty surprised by how light the demo unit was and I was told the final version will be approximately the same weight. 

To get a better sense of how the event was, check out the collection of photos below:

Sony Holiday 2011 event (6 of 42).jpg

Sony Holiday 2011 event (34 of 42).jpg

Sony Holiday 2011 event (35 of 42).jpg

Sony Holiday 2011 event (3 of 42).jpg

Sony Holiday 2011 event (29 of 42).jpg

Sony Holiday 2011 event (22 of 42).jpg

Sony Holiday 2011 event (11 of 42).jpg

Sony Holiday 2011 event (19 of 42).jpg

Sony Holiday 2011 event (42 of 42).jpg

Sony Holiday 2011 event (17 of 42).jpg

Photo Credit: Alex Davies

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.