Tech Blog

Announcements

Best Buy and Future Shop are consolidating as Best Buy. This means the products, services, and features you have come to expect from Future Shop and FutureShop.ca will now be available at Best Buy and BestBuy.ca. We have plans to invest up to $200 million to build a leading multi-channel customer experience on the Best Buy brand.

Visit futureshop.ca for more details & click here to learn more about what this means for the Tech Yeah Community.

Have a question about technology? Join the Best Buy Plug-in Community to have it answered!

There's always time for style: Phosphor hits Futureshop.ca

by Blogger ‎11-06-2012 08:50 PM - edited ‎11-06-2012 08:50 PM

Phosphor.JPG

When it comes to tech accessories and style, I'm a huge fan of ensuring everything matches, from head to toe. (You might recall the points made in a past post about headphones merging with fashion.)  Wrist watches in particular are critical with matching attire. Like a neck tie, you can't just have one and wear it everyday. There's a watch for every occassion. 

For everyday, casual style, one watch maker who caught my eye recently is Phosphor. This American-based company became the first watch maker to use Electronic Ink, or "E Ink," to display time, dates and more on its watch faces. E Ink is the technology that first became popular in the displays of e-readers.

Not only is their display unique and tech-forward, physically, they tend to make watches that are a bit more bulkier so they stand out and in a variety of colours. 

I tend to be a bit more conservative when it comes to wearing watches, so for everyday use, I enjoy wearing the Phosphor E Ink World Time Watch with a silver framed face and black leather strap.

The first day I wore it into the office, it stood out, grabbing attention from my peers. I appreciated the comments as it gave the opportunity to show off the several display options through crisp and high contrasted black and white E Ink display. 

Pressing a long barred button allows you to select how to view date and time.  One mode allows selecting between 24 world time zones (hence the name of the watch); another press displays both date and time; press it again and a clean, over-sized view of the time is shown.

I enjoy the options you have with the watch - it makes it fun when checking the date or time, and also gives the watch another look, or versatility with what your outfit.

This watch won't break the bank. It's about $150 and comes gift boxed in a well-crafted, leather-look box with Phosphor's logo atop. Just place in a gift bag or wrap in paper and it's ready for under the holiday tree this season and help someone juggle time and look great. 

SKU: 10218939

The World Time E Ink digital watch shows off a unique, sleek, ultra-thin, curved case only 9.3mm thick. You can select from 24 time zones for one display mode, while optionally displaying a second time zone simultaneously. The dual time zone display can be configured to display the time of day or both the date and time in either over-sized or conventional-sized segments.

Worth watching: Binary watches

Watches have evolved the way they tell time. Another nifty watch line that came to my attention after seeing it on my friend's wrist is a binary style watch. His was from Japan, and it was a simple watch that told time through a few simple dots, very 007 Bond-like.

There is a method to reading the madness on this style of watch using binary format. Discover how to tell time from these watches by viewing the following video by The One:

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.