Tech Blog

There's always time for style: Phosphor hits Futureshop.ca

by Blogger ‎11-06-2012 08:50 PM - edited ‎11-06-2012 08:50 PM

Phosphor.JPG

When it comes to tech accessories and style, I'm a huge fan of ensuring everything matches, from head to toe. (You might recall the points made in a past post about headphones merging with fashion.)  Wrist watches in particular are critical with matching attire. Like a neck tie, you can't just have one and wear it everyday. There's a watch for every occassion. 

For everyday, casual style, one watch maker who caught my eye recently is Phosphor. This American-based company became the first watch maker to use Electronic Ink, or "E Ink," to display time, dates and more on its watch faces. E Ink is the technology that first became popular in the displays of e-readers.

Not only is their display unique and tech-forward, physically, they tend to make watches that are a bit more bulkier so they stand out and in a variety of colours. 

I tend to be a bit more conservative when it comes to wearing watches, so for everyday use, I enjoy wearing the Phosphor E Ink World Time Watch with a silver framed face and black leather strap.

The first day I wore it into the office, it stood out, grabbing attention from my peers. I appreciated the comments as it gave the opportunity to show off the several display options through crisp and high contrasted black and white E Ink display. 

Pressing a long barred button allows you to select how to view date and time.  One mode allows selecting between 24 world time zones (hence the name of the watch); another press displays both date and time; press it again and a clean, over-sized view of the time is shown.

I enjoy the options you have with the watch - it makes it fun when checking the date or time, and also gives the watch another look, or versatility with what your outfit.

This watch won't break the bank. It's about $150 and comes gift boxed in a well-crafted, leather-look box with Phosphor's logo atop. Just place in a gift bag or wrap in paper and it's ready for under the holiday tree this season and help someone juggle time and look great. 

SKU: 10218939

The World Time E Ink digital watch shows off a unique, sleek, ultra-thin, curved case only 9.3mm thick. You can select from 24 time zones for one display mode, while optionally displaying a second time zone simultaneously. The dual time zone display can be configured to display the time of day or both the date and time in either over-sized or conventional-sized segments.

Worth watching: Binary watches

Watches have evolved the way they tell time. Another nifty watch line that came to my attention after seeing it on my friend's wrist is a binary style watch. His was from Japan, and it was a simple watch that told time through a few simple dots, very 007 Bond-like.

There is a method to reading the madness on this style of watch using binary format. Discover how to tell time from these watches by viewing the following video by The One:

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.