Tech Blog

This is the week that was

by Retired Blogger on ‎04-04-2010 11:27 PM

One topic dominated the tech news this week; launch of the Apple iPad. So, without further adieu some of the other stories on the fringes of the launch:

Apple
iPad Has Risen: Steve Jobs Makes Easter Eve Appearance
With around 700,000 units of what was presciently called the Jesus Tablet sold yesterday, it's worth noting that Steve Jobs, wearing a black hoodie and ripped jeans, revealed himself to his flock on Easter Eve at the Palo Alto Apple store (a good 14 miles away from The Mothership).

iPad Day One: Charts Show Big Media Mostly Playing In Free Apps, Not Paid
So day one of iPad launch almost over—though West Coast’s still in full swing—no estimates on how many iPads have sold, but it is instructive to see how the charts for iPad apps are doing. The big hope that it would be the savior of big media isn’t bearing out yet, though admittedly, it is too early. Most of the media companies, besides the select few Apple (NSDQ: AAPL) roped in for the launch, haven’t even launched their apps yet. One big trend that’s apparent: big media and entertainment companies are doing very well in top free apps, but are barely present in top paid apps, whether by number of apps downloaded, or by the gross revenues from their apps.

iPad jailbroken in a single day

iPhone Dev-Team member MuscleNerd revealed this afternoon that he has already managed to jailbreak the iPad after just a day of sales. The crack is a variation on the same "Spirit" jailbreak recently used to de-restrict iPhone 3.1.3 and, like the earlier technique, is believed to use a browser-based exploit as part of a trick to get root access and let unsigned apps run on the tablet.

Charging the iPad: Hit or miss
If you're used to charging your phone, music player, or device in the USB port of your computer, take note. So far, we've been unable to charge our iPads in any USB port on a non-Apple Computer. Apple Tech Support has told us that the iPad is designed for the 10W AC adapter that comes with it, so if you want to use anything else, all bets are off.

Why I won't buy an iPad (and think you shouldn't, either)
I've spent ten years now on Boing Boing, finding cool things that people have done and made and writing about them. Most of the really exciting stuff hasn't come from big corporations with enormous budgets, it's come from experimentalist amateurs. These people were able to make stuff and put it in the public's eye and even sell it without having to submit to the whims of a single company that had declared itself gatekeeper for your phone and other personal technology.

Microsoft
Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac gets undressed
We’ve just scored some of the first shots of Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac, and while they are said to be very early, you can clearly see the progress that has been made in the transition to native Cocoa applications.

64GB Zune HD launching April 12th for $350, current models reduced $20
Let's just be nice and feign surprise, okay? Good. With that out of the way, Microsoft has announced a 64GB version of Zune HD, due out April 12th via the Zune online store (and later via other retailers) with a handful of color options and a strapping $349.99 price tag.

Hardware

Gates, Allen remember Altair creator Roberts as true pioneer
Apart from Bill Gates and Paul Allen, one of the people most instrumental in the creation of Microsoft was Ed Roberts, whose early MITS Altair 8800 computer -- pictured on the cover of Popular Electronics -- inspired the young software programmers to create the early version of BASIC that ultimately spawned the company.

During his keynote at SXSW last month, Twitter CEO Evan Wiliams announced an upcoming new platform called @anywhere, which would allow third party sites to integrate Twitter features (he also showed off some of the partners who would be featuring the platform, which you can see in the image at right). Twitter didn’t give a launch date for when sites would start integrating the new platform, but it looks like we’ve just come across the first site to feature @anywhere. Meet Eggboiling.com.

Google Books, Google Maps Get 3D View – But Only For April Fool’s Day
Earlier today, a Google PR person gave me a pair of 3D glasses at the Where 2.0 conference and said I’d need them tomorrow. Hmm, was Google Maps going 3D? Or maybe an April Fool’s joke? But helping my son with his science project tonight, I came across a possible answer — a new 3D view in Google Books.

Your Turn
So, did I miss anything? What online story really got you going this week? Link to it in the comments!

Comments
by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎04-05-2010 11:20 AM

April Fool's happened. Where's the love for YouTube's TEXTp mode? =(

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.