Tech Blog

Toddler 2.0

by Blogger on ‎06-05-2009 09:31 AM - last edited on ‎05-02-2012 10:38 PM by Retired Moderator

There are many factors to consider when choosing the name of your baby.
First you'll want to go through all the mean schoolyard nicknames that could go with your chosen first and last name.  Once you've settled on a name, you'll want to change up the spelling so your child is unique at school.  No Jennfer S, or Michael P for your brood, no.  Today's babies are Jeniphur or Mykel.  Finally, you'll want to make sure you can snag your offspring a domain (hey, that goofy spelling might come in handy after all).
You may not put that third check on your list, but if you think about the shrinking world of .com real estate and the value to having a personal domain, you might want to register the domain the same time you're filling out the birth certificate forms.
With a personal web domain for your baby, you can track milestones, scan art, upload videos and photos and everything is perfectly placed on a timeline as it happens.  It's as simple as registering the domain and redirecting it to a free blogging service if you'd like.  From there you can password protect or publicize as much, or as little, as you'd like.
Some might think of it as oversharing, I think of it as over archiving.  My mom had/has boxes and crates full of art projects and cards and notebooks from my classes.  There's photos and slides and albums filled with memories.  I'm doing the same thing in a 2009 kind of way.
I'm French-Canadian, so when my son was born 2 years ago we just garabbed BonjourZacharie as his website.  When/if we have a second, we'll work on the same methodology.  My sister-in-law chose the MyNameIsKate option for her website, and when my niece was born, my present to them was a domain in her name with the same structure.
Thankfully when my son was born Twitter was just getting started, so grabbing him @zacharie was easy, our chosen 2nd child names are no longer available so the bonjourbaby#2 will have to do for their Twitter account.
Will Twitter still be viable and popular when our kids are old enough to understand?  Who knows - for now, they're perfectly valuable tools to archive my son's life.
The Twitter account is brilliant as my son learns to speak.  I can instantly access his account on my iPhone and post his words, phrases and sentences as they happen.  My brother uses the Twitter account to keep track of my niece's bizarre toddler sentences like "Mama should change me because she's beautiful and you're not," and "Ham makes me run around."
These things don't happen everyday and you'll never remember to write them in a scrap book, so why not just create a private Twitter account and keep it for family and friends?
Facebook?  Yeah, done that too - although according to the Terms of Service he's not entitled to one, so let's just pretend he's 42 instead of 2.
Viddler?  Yup, got that one.
Some may think of the web and blogs and Twitter as keys to creating a selfish, narcisstic society. Okay, perhaps if you let it go that far, but really it's just a different way of keeping track of our family history.  Web 2.0 has simply created Toddler 2.0.
catch the buzz ... pass it on.
Message Edited by Laura on 06-05-2009 10:17 AM
Message Edited by Laura on 08-21-2009 02:23 PM
Message Edited by ElizabethS on 09-10-2009 08:51 PM

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.