Tech Blog

Top Apps For Christmas / Holidays: Here's At Least 75 To Get You Started

by Blogger on ‎12-19-2011 01:46 PM - last edited on ‎12-20-2011 10:11 AM by Administrator

Tis the final week before Christmas and all through the ... oh you know the routine.  The craziness is on and here are some apps to help you (and the kids) get through it:

Portable North Pole [$2.99]

pnp.jpgThe grand daddy of all "Yes kids, Santa is real" apps.  

From a collection of videos featuring Santa in the North Pole to what he does on summer vacation, this app has the answers to every nosy kid's questions.

You can also set up custom videos where Santa will speak directly to your children, respond to what's on their wish lists and help to keep them in line.  

I bought this one last year and have wielded it yet again this season to great success.

(If you don't need this in your pocket, you can access many of these features at the Portable North Pole website)

Webroot Sobriety Test [free]

webroot.jpgThis app is strictly for entertainment purposes.  Do NOT use it as a method of testing whether or not you're  sober enough to drive.  Chances are if you're relying on an app for that you're a little too Blitzen-ed.

Security software manufacturer Webroot came up with the app as a clever way to market their "security protection."  The app's site says it is specifically designed to prevent the loss of clothing, dignity, job, marriage or friends.

The app's fun tests are for coordination, comprehension or lack there of in an attempt to guide you away from an early or embarrassing end to your evening.

dreidel.jpg

Super Dreidel [$0.99]

Now I admit I'm a Christmas guy, but when my sister got married this summer I found myself with a Jewish brother in law.  I'm excited to have some new traditions to bring to our family table this year and I plan to bring the noise with this dreidel app.

The letters on each side of a dreidel represent two things. First, they represent rules of the game. Second, they form an acronym for Nes Gadol Hayah Sham, “A Great Miracle Happened There.”

Featuring originally recorded music and vibrant illustrations, Super Dreidel appeals to people of all ages. The game allows 2 to 8 players to spin the dreidel on a touchscreen while the app keeps score. 

How The Grinch Stole Christmas [$3.99]

This Dr. Seuss classic comes to life in the “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” ebook. It plays like all of the other Seuss book apps.  You can choose from “Read to Me,” “Read it Myself” or “Auto Play” modes and the different characters are announced when you touch them.  It's a classic and if you don't have the paper version of the book, it will do in a pinch.

charlie.pngThere's also a Charlie Brown app [$2.99] this year that not only has a read along story book of the famous special, but also has the classic Vince Guaraldi soundtrack and Chrsitmas themed games for the kids.

Of course those aren't the only classics.  There are seasonal celebrations of top apps like Angry Birds, Doodle Jump there's even Christmas Sudoku. 

I spent some time volunteering for the Salvation Army this season and when they couldnt find the jingle bells for me to ring at the kettle, guess what I used?   That's right - the free Jingle Bells app.

You can add the above to the following lists I've already served up:

55 apps to pre-load on their iPad or iPod before Christmas morning.  Seriously, don't let them open an empty device.  Set them up with an iTunes account and preload some fun for Christmas Day.

6 Christmas Apps to price compare, track and talk to Santa.  The price comparison ones will help you get the best deal in this final week while the other two categories might help you affect behaviour as the countdown gets closer.

6 Wine Apps for the holiday season.  Ratings, food pairings, recipes and more can help you get the best bottle for the celebration.

iTunes Rewind 2011. If you think all the ones I've suggested don't cut it, have a look at what Apple has picked as the best of the year in music, movies, tv, books and apps for iPad, iPhone and iPod.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.