Tech Blog

Touch The Future

by Blogger on ‎09-19-2010 05:54 PM - last edited on ‎05-01-2012 03:02 PM by Moderator

Ignore the sales numbers for the iPad and iPhone and iPod Touch.  Ignore the touch screen interfaces coming in to desktop computers thanks to the innovations of Windows 7.  If you want to truly believe that the future format of computing is touch based, watch a child.

I have an iPhone and an iPad.  My son is 3 and is a master of both.  I didnt give him lessons, he just picked up the devices (mostly when I wasn't looking) and figured them out.  He plays games, watches videos, switches between apps and can amuse himself for hours on end with one of these toys.

My son can't figure out a mouse or a scroll pad, but give him a touch based device and he's off and running.

It's a testament to not only the intuitiveness of the device, how it works in the way one would expect it to work, but also to the nature of touch.

Even my 8 month old loves my iPhone, although he sees it more as a delicious teether than an entertaining toy.

catch the buzz ... pass it on.

Comments
by Tony Chung(anon) on ‎09-20-2010 11:25 PM

So you proved that 3-year-olds can get a lot out of the iPad... but what practicality does it have for an adult? :-P

Just joshin ya. I can really appreciate how Zachary doesn't see the iPad as an amazing piece of technology, but rather the tasks he wants to perform through it. I so want one, but it would take me a some time to get over viewing it as an amazing piece of gear before realizing the full utility of the device.

Does Future Shop sell capacitive styluses as well? I've seen other videos where the artist used the iPad as a sketchbook.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.