Tech Blog

Tweetbot Is The New, New, New Twitter.

by Blogger ‎12-14-2011 08:36 AM - edited ‎12-14-2011 08:36 AM

tweetbot.pngNew, New Twitter was the name given to the redesign of our 140 character obsession last week and it seems the masses have spoken: they don't like it.  

"They’re simplifying Twitter. They’re confining it to four spaces — Home, Connect, Discover, Me — and hoping we’ll forget about the good features that they’ve taken away."

The New Twitter For iPhone, We Hate It Too 

"It's a bold new move for Twitter, which is good because the company hasn't made many bold new bets.

But, it's alienating for the current crop of users who know how the service works, know how to follow people they want to follow for news, and don't care about the news passed around by the masses on Twitter."

- Everything That's Wrong With The New Twitter iPhone App

"By adding more features, the new Twitter seems to be trying to do two things at once: make it more compelling as a social networking platform, while at the same time making it easier for the uninitiated to grasp. I think Twitter will likely fail on both counts."

The New Twitter Leaves Me Disconnected

I involved Twitter inventor Jack Dorsey in a discussion I was having with a colleague about the redesign and he replied that it's still a work in progress.

They'd better work fast because it looks like people are jumping ship and the big beneficiary appears to be Tweetbot.

I don’t care for the new Twitter app much at all. But I switched to Tweetbot on my iPhone months ago. 

- The New Twitter (RIP Tweetie)

That Tweetbot endorsement from John Gruber has sent sales of the app soaring.  Especially after they dropped the price from $2.99 to just 99c.

"Tweetbot has been shooting up the iPhone App Store charts, according to App Annie. It’s currently the no. 34 paid iPhone app, down from no. 16 on Saturday, but up from no. 708 a couple of weeks ago. That has been good for business — its top-grossing rank has also surged."

SplatF

I have completed deleted the official Twitter app from my iPhone and while I test drove the new Tweetdeck desktop app, I quickly deleted it to stick with Hootsuite and the older Adobe Air version of Tweetdeck.

Tweetbot is clean, it's intuitive, it has similar functionality to the old new Twitter.  It respects screen space, and you can dodge easily between conversations and screens with customizable swipes and taps.  There's no suggestive upselling via Twitter's urge to have us Discover.  

And with the removal of Twitter from my iPhone, I'm not getting the pings on my screen via Notification Centre so I'm less distracted by my device calling me to interact on the internet.   I get what I need to get done and then I'm out.

What about you? Have you ditched New New Twitter for another app?

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.