Tech Blog

Two words I thought I'd never see together: Library & Groupon

by Retired Blogger on ‎01-10-2011 02:52 PM

I must say I'm rather proud of the Edmonton Public Library -- my local library. They were one of the first in Canada to:

• offer free Wi-Fi to members,
  • jump into social media,
  • equip branches with self-checkout barscanners and RFID chip automated checkin,
  • allow online holds and media reservations,
  • create a mobile library app,
  • offer digital delivery of 'loaned' material.

And now they're taking advantage of Groupon to offer discounts on membership renewals.

ScreenShot_500.jpg

dealdeets.jpgThis last initiative is just another step the library is taking to remain relevant, and stimulate membership by ‘being where the users are’, while magazines, newspapers and other forms of traditional media are being challenged by mobile internet technologies.

At the close of the offer, it looks like just under two thousand people bought in to the concept and bought $6.00 library cards -- a steal, actually for all the services offered.

But mine can’t be the only forward-thinking library in Canada...got an example of your public library embracing tech? Write about it in the comments!

Comments
by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎01-10-2011 05:43 PM

I am shocked to see the Edmonton library charges an annual membership.  $2 to replace my misplaced Vancouver library card looks like a bargain.  Then again, I'm sure my property taxes cost me more than $6 annually.

by PaulWog Emerging Expert on ‎01-10-2011 09:53 PM

Unfortunately my local library was supposed to be two or three stories high and be rather large... and the grumps in my neighbourhood (we've got a lot of oldies around here) petitioned it and had it limited as a small one-story building (tiny!). Not much forward thinking locally unfortunately!

by Retired Blogger on ‎01-11-2011 08:53 AM

@XL -- wow, looks like you get a real deal in Vancouver :smileyhappy: Still, I'm thinking $12 is a steal for all our library offers -- and with a Groupon, even more :smileyhappy:

@PaulWog -- that's sad. We're finding that libraries are essential to community development -- like marketplaces etc, only they trade in knowledge.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.