Tech Blog

UPDATED: Future Shop offer: Trade one game for choice of new Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed or BF4

by Blogger ‎11-08-2013 10:33 AM - edited ‎11-10-2013 09:29 AM

WEEKEND UPDATE: Wow, what an amazing turnout for the trade in offer for one free game. Check out the Tech Yeah community forum to read the update about the promotion. A copy of it is below for easy reference:

Today, our unprecedented used game offer kicked off and attracted incredible responses at all our stores in Canada. This offer invited customers to trade-in any one game in exchange for a new copy of Assassin’s Creed IV, Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty: Ghosts. Boxing Day-like crowds came out in droves and walked away with a new game.

The response from customers has been amazing and far exceeded our expectations. With such a hot offer, our limited quantities ran out rapidly on day one resulting in some stores now being out of stock.

We want to also take a moment to thank Canadian gamers for visiting our stores and making our used games promotion a tremendous success!

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 8 UPDATE: There's been a lot of excitement about this trade in offer since this post was shared, including scores of Tweets. Some popular feedback worth noting:

• It's a limited time offer
  • No rainchecks are permitted.
  • Future Shop now has a Frequently Asked Questions page up now and if you have any questions about the offer, click here.

This just in: The stores excluded from the program are: 

• Nanaimo
  • Kelowna
  • Woodbridge (Vaughan)
  • Richmond Hill
  • Markham

Also, here's the official fine print on the program with a few comments from me in brackets: 

Trade-in one game and get your choice of Assassin’s Creed 4, Battlefield 4, or Call of Duty Ghosts*

*Offer applies to Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Wii U titles valued at $59.99, and excludes Playstation 4 and Xbox One versions (- FYI, this applies to the games listed above - AC4, BF4 and CoD: Ghosts; the one game you can take home).
Valid trade in game types are: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii U, PS Vita and 3DS (- YES, any one game that you trade in must be from one of those consoles). One trade in promo per customer. Games must include boxes. In-store only. Trade-in credit must be applied to new game at time of transaction. No duplicate titles accepted, regardless of console. No dealers please. Cannot be combined with any other trade-in games promotions. Promotion valid while supplies last.  Limited quantities, no rainchecks. See in-store for details.

Original posting today:

Tweet.JPG

You may have read about an unbelieveable trade-in offer available at Future Shop this weekend through Monday, November 11, 2013. It's true. Beginning Saturday, November 9 until close of business on Monday, November 11, 2013, Future Shop stores across the country are offering customer the opportunity to bring in one used game on a present generation console (Xbox 360, PS3, WiiU, Vita, 3DS) to trade for one his season's hottest titles*: 

• Assassin's Creed IV
  • Battlefield 4
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts

*Trade must be for a present generation title. PS4, Xbox One and PC not included.

Here's how it works:

• Trade ANY one game on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, WiiU, PS Vita or Nintendo 3DS and get a FREE copy of Assassin's Creed IV, Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360, PS3 WiiU versions only, excludes next generation consoles - PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, plus PC. Regular $59.99 versions only).
  • That's right, bring-in any game title on the present-gen console or handheld and you get one of three of the holiday's hottest titles for free. Limit one title per customer per day - games must include cases - and no duplicates accepted.
  • Of course there some legal limitations in some markets. Future Shop stores in Nanaimo, Kelowna, Manitoba, Woodbridge (Vaughan), Markham and Richmond Hill are excluded due to local trade in laws.Tradein.JPG

I will post a link to the trade in games website once it's live this afternooon.  Discover more about Future Shop's used games trade in program here.

If you agree this is the deal of the decade - or century, give a kudos (star) or comment below.

What game will you trade in at your local Future Shop this weekend-Monday for one this holiday's hottest current generation game titles? Share in the comments section.

SKU: 10251161

Fight on behalf of a crippled nation struggling to survive in Call of Duty: Ghosts. The global balance of power is irrevocably changed after a devastating event and the nation's economy and government are destroyed. The once-powerful military tries to prevent a total collapse, and remnants of the nation's Special Operations forces, known only as "Ghosts," lead the fight against a new superpower.

SKU: 10259152

Take no quarter, for fortune favours the bold in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag for Xbox 360. It's 1715, and pirates rule the Caribbean. You are the brash young Edward Kenway - hated by the British, yet respected by legendary pirates like Blackbeard for your daring exploits. Anything goes in this wide world of grand adventure, mystery, and pirate plunder. Stations, lads. Hoist the Black Flag.

SKU: 10264453

Battlefield 4 immerses you deeply into first-person shooter action with Levolution, a unique feature that alters the landscape around you in reaction to your moves. The Frostbite 3 engine generates incredibly precise and realistic audio and visual fidelity, giving you a more dramatic and powerful experience. Engage in combat on land, sea, and in the air and enjoy the glorious chaos of all-out war.

Comments
by DeViLzzz ‎11-08-2013 10:50 AM - edited ‎11-08-2013 10:58 AM

Eh ok now we see this is legit .... WOW !

I will trade in Over G Fighters for Xbox 360 for sure although some of my older sports titles might be better to trade in.

by PatrickQc on ‎11-08-2013 10:58 AM

"Limit one more customer, per title"

Does this mean that I can get the 3 different games if I bring 3 current-gen titles and that in one transaction? Or am I limited to one transaction of one of the 3 games per day?

by DeViLzzz ‎11-08-2013 11:03 AM - edited ‎11-08-2013 11:13 AM

PatrickQc you are limited to one per day .... 

eh that is what I saw in the article but man with each post FS is making it more confusing as wth does this mean ??

Limit one more customer, per title

by PatrickQc on ‎11-08-2013 11:14 AM

Yea the wording in Elliott's post make it sounds like you can get a copy of each game, just not 2 copies of the same.

by Blogger on ‎11-08-2013 11:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Just one free game per customer, per day.

by Megasoum on ‎11-08-2013 11:42 AM

Can you confirm if this is really ANY games or if there will be a list of accepted games for the trade?

by jugolicious on ‎11-08-2013 11:51 AM

Can we trade in for the PC version of either 3 games? Thanks!

by avatar12 on ‎11-08-2013 11:53 AM

So are Vita and 3DS games also eligibled? The reason why I asked because in another post, only PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U titles are eligible to trade in, please confirm.

Thank you

by Wallis87 on ‎11-08-2013 12:10 PM
Can you do the promo once each day? Bring in a game on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday?
by m1go on ‎11-08-2013 12:40 PM

Wow... I'm speechless.

by battlefield on ‎11-08-2013 01:01 PM

finally a use for facebreaker

by ChaoticAptitude on ‎11-08-2013 01:20 PM

is there a minimum age? Can I go to three different stores tomorrow to get all 3? 

by ilikekookies on ‎11-08-2013 01:33 PM

I'm slightly confused about this now, I called my local FS, and they said it had to be any game "that they currently have priced at $59.99". Is this true? Or could I actually just bring in my copies of Fairytale Fights and Rock Revolution to trade in?

by Law0fAverages on ‎11-08-2013 01:49 PM

When this was originally posted, it mentioned that stores in St. James, Garden City and Pembina were excluded, now it just mentions Manitoba, is it safe to assume then that Brandon is out and was just forgotten in the first run?

by jaysarf on ‎11-08-2013 02:03 PM

I just talked to an employe of FS and said that it was «Trade any used game OF A VALUE OF 59,99$».

by bfrye26 on ‎11-08-2013 02:11 PM

This will make things odd since if it includes 3DS or Vita games these never sell at 59.99 infact they have random pricing depending on title randing from 30-40

by bfrye26 ‎11-08-2013 02:14 PM - edited ‎11-08-2013 02:15 PM

also if you go by what the post is saying they comment it is any game even one from 4 years ago. So not sure who is right on this one. 

"The game you take home can be for any of the current generation system. So, for example, you could bring an Xbox 360 game from four years ago and walk out with a PlayStation 3 version of Call of Duty: Ghosts."

"We’re also told that you can bring in any game to trade, provided it still works and has the original jewel case."

by DeViLzzz on ‎11-08-2013 02:22 PM

Stop the jerks that are providing total misinformation on purpose.  You do not have to trade in a game worth $59.99.  Go troll somewhere else.

by bfrye26 on ‎11-08-2013 02:24 PM

this is true, people could be trying to stread that information to stop people from going. More games for them

by buckycat on ‎11-08-2013 02:24 PM

I wonder if you can do reserve in store for this?

by jaysarf on ‎11-08-2013 02:24 PM

Im not trolling i assure you. It may be the employes of my local FS who are misinformed thou.

by bfrye26 on ‎11-08-2013 02:25 PM

at this point it is hard to say. The promo will go live in the site soon and once that is we can say for sure

by jaysarf on ‎11-08-2013 02:25 PM

Try to call your local store and see for yourself...

by PK531 on ‎11-08-2013 02:29 PM

I do have a question, once they are gone from the store is that portion over? or can Rain Checks apply to this?

by DeViLzzz on ‎11-08-2013 02:31 PM

I am thankful that with all the reserves people I knew made for me came back as good.  Now the hard part is getting them to find time to pick up the games for me by 2:30 pm or so tomorrow. :Z

by Exelentise on ‎11-08-2013 02:37 PM
I'm confused
by bfrye26 on ‎11-08-2013 02:50 PM

about?

by tasha181 on ‎11-08-2013 02:58 PM

How do i reserve? I called FS and asked to reserve my copies and she told me to reserve them online. Yet I cant find it anywhere on the site. Any help would be appreciated :smileyhappy:

by ilikekookies on ‎11-08-2013 02:58 PM

I wasn't trolling... I legitimately called the store, and that's what the employee on the phone told me. Hence why I decided to post a question in this thread asking about it. Anyway, I'm still going to go in tomorrow morning with games that I know are priced below $59.99, because at this point I have no idea how this promo is going to play out. Also, like what jaysarf said, maybe the employees were misinformed about it (and judging by the site, it's sort of looking that way?).

by skl321 on ‎11-08-2013 03:01 PM

does it exclude markham location?

by PK531 on ‎11-08-2013 03:11 PM

Bring this article in as well so that you can prove to them this is what they said ON THEIR FORUMS :smileyhappy: 

by ilikekookies on ‎11-08-2013 03:16 PM

PK, great idea, I'm going to do just that! :smileyhappy:

by Add on ‎11-08-2013 03:42 PM

It will be games off their trade list no doubt. Not any game. 

by JorgeM Recognized Expert on ‎11-08-2013 03:44 PM

Hi everyone.

We have put together this handy dandy FAQ thread on our forum that answer all your questions.

Cheers!

Jorge

by RemiRebel on ‎11-08-2013 04:44 PM
Dont mother, just got back from the store next my place, they only have 20 copies of each! Will be gone in 5 min
by Luciferzzz on ‎11-08-2013 05:39 PM

My Sarnia store should really watch out for people trying to come in an abuse this deal.

I remember this one balding customer with glasses got kicked out of the store once because he was being aggressive towards the manager. I hope that guy doesn't show up, because he'll try to bring his whole family and take all the games making me sad.

Hopefully that hoarder is still banned from the store.

by Blogger ‎11-08-2013 06:08 PM - edited ‎11-08-2013 07:35 PM

Thanks for the questions and comments everyone. Per @JorgeM , the answer to your question will be here

@ChaoticAptitude The games offered are rated M, so be ready to show your ID.

by hurshy84 on ‎11-08-2013 06:51 PM

where do I got to reserve my the trade in game. And can I trade my COD Ghosts for Battlefield 4?

by dragon709 on ‎11-08-2013 08:35 PM

What about stores that are closed on Monday for Rememberance Day?  I know my local shop's websites lists the store closed on Monday for the holiday.

by Babamagush on ‎11-08-2013 09:06 PM
Hi guys, there are two posts with contradicting information. Is this available for Manitoba or not?
by Vinniesal on ‎11-08-2013 11:27 PM
I called into my my Markham store at 6;30pm and they stated the deal was in effect
by emjay_mm on ‎11-09-2013 12:17 AM

Hey guys I'm hearing 1 title per person = 1 title of each Ghost, BF4 and Black Flag is allowed from an insider source (Spoke to a GM from different stores around my area)

Theres alot of confusion in this as online it says 1 per person

Can someone please verify this before the stores open!! Thanks

by DarrylBarton on ‎11-09-2013 05:20 AM

as always a catch .... THE GAME YOU TRADE IN MUST BE VALUED AT 59.99 am I correct?

by EthanLiddle on ‎11-09-2013 05:59 AM

^ How many times must this be posted? The game you are trading in(And the one you are trading for) have to be the 59.99 VERSION of the game. No limited edition VERSIONS.

There is no minimum amount that your trade in must come to.

by Yankeefan777 on ‎11-09-2013 06:10 AM
Is this really that hard to understand? Trade ANY VALUE game and get a REGULAR copy of the 3 titles offered valued at $59.99. Means no special editions! Come on people!
by Neufen17 on ‎11-09-2013 07:02 AM
I don't get this. Is it like if I bought my NHL 2k9 in 2009 it was 59.99 now it's worth like 5 is that a game I could use or does it have to be 59.99 right now?
by CdnBoi on ‎11-09-2013 07:30 AM

Is there so many per day? Also what about provinces where the stores are not open monday will they give more per day?

by sveltone on ‎11-09-2013 08:12 AM

ANY GAME for PS3, Xbox360, or wiiU.The $59.99 refers to the game YOU ARE TAKING HOME(So no special editions, just the regular editions and NOT the PS4, XboxOne versions) Your trade can be ANY PS3, Xbox360, or WiiU GAME of ANY VALUE as long as it is in good condition and has its jewel case.

by Sapphire-snow on ‎11-09-2013 08:35 AM
Sold out of every game at 10:45am in Ottawa Merivale and barhaven. 45min after open and maybe only 100 games total that were traded in. Seems like a huge scam to me if a three day event doesn't last 45min.
by mvd619 on ‎11-09-2013 09:08 AM - last edited on ‎11-09-2013 10:35 AM by Moderator

Each store only gets 100games. Also I was told that you HAD to reserve it online frist. So when I arrived around 10:45, there were copies available, however I was not allowed one because I didn't go online at 5am and reserve it so I can wonder in at 9pm and buy it then. I hate both BestBuy and FutureShop for this.. I was also told that I may come back tomorrow however I would have to arrive at 4am to get in line for the store to open at 9am. This event was nothing more then to get people in their stores and possibly but other items because futureshop and (competitor) stocks are falling fast. If anything, this "Ultimate Deal" will hurt them more thne help them. Making no profit on the 3 top games for Xmas shows is kind of dumb when you think about it from a companys point of view. Hopefully when they finally do close their doors, they will understand then what customer satisfaction really means. I guess I will be offically taking my money somewhere else

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.