Tech Blog

WWDC Summary: Lion, iOS 5, and iCloud. All cool, but we have to wait

by Blogger on ‎06-06-2011 05:00 PM - last edited on ‎04-26-2012 07:29 PM by Retired Moderator

As promised I tuned into Apples Word Wide Developer Conference (WWDC) keynote this morning. And, as expected, Steve and company talked about OS X Lion (10.7), iOS 5, and iCloud. And, no, there wasn’t a “just one more thing” (per se). All of the new features look fantastic, but unless you’re a developer, we’re not going to see the best stuff until at least July. This post is going to talk about the three key parts of the keynote in general followed by deeper posts on each of the parts on their own.

If you want to watch the entire keynote (I know I’ll be watching before I complete all the posts) you can watch the WWDC keynote here on Apple’s events area. The event clocks in at about 2 hours, so make some popcorn for this feature-length keynote.

Let’s start with the top-line stuff…

OS X Lion (10.7)

I know you want to know when we can get it and how much, so I’ll answer that first: It will be available (on schedule) in July for ~$30. Yeah, just $30. Oh and you won’t find Lion on the shelf at the Apple or any other store. It’s going to be available only through the Mac App Store. And before you think … ouch that’s going to hurt … it’s only 4 GB. Yeah 4. Apple is finally updating the Mac App store (and iOS…) to download updates as delta changes only. So, you’re not downloading all of 10.7, just what’s new. What wasn’t said in the keynote is how (or if) we’ll be able to make Lion boot-reinstall DVDs. Turns out OS X is going to create a special recovery partition on your machine for exactly this purpose (via Gizmodo)

Features: Mission control .. Think Exposé + Spaces, but actually useful this time (Spaces, not Exposé, I use that all the time)

App Store: update apps with delta changes only. So, faster, easter, smaller updates.

Launch Pad … Think iOS writ large

Multitouch … Maybe a reason for people to pickup Magic trackpads (if you don’t use a MacBook)

Full screen apps … Bigger is better. Turn on and off with swipes

Autosave … No more … quit and not saving or just app crashing and losing stuff.

Versions … yeah if you autosave you have to be able to go back in time and fix stuff. Done.

Air Drop … Have friends on the same network, just drop the files to them. Yeah, there are some security questions here. But, there will be encrypted transfers and approve/accept

Mail … One of the most beleaguered default apps gets a make-over. Watch out Sparrow!

iOS 5

Looks like this will be a free update, if you have an iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPhone 4 or better. When? Fall. Which is a bummer because there are going to be over 200 new features. Apple highlighted a few:

Highlighted features:

Notifications that aren’t annoying.

Safari with Readabilty and Tabs. Nice

Twitter baked into the OS. Set up sign in in Settings and all apps can use it

Camera … finally take a picture without unlocking the phone. Shutter with volume up, built-in editing tools. Sorry Camera+

Reminders … yeah time sensitive and location sensitive reminders. There are a few apps that are going to die now.

Newsstand … like iBooks, but for magazines. Nice.

Game Center … nice enhancements, profile pictures, buying games within GC, game recommendations. iMessage … BBM meets iOS. Yeah, RIM, your lunch has been eaten. And Apple is eyeing your dinner.

Mail getting another update. Better enterprise connections. Oh poor BlackBerry

PC Free updates … like Lion, iOS 5 will update with only the deltas so everything will be faster … so we can update without connecting to a machine! Even better, you don’t need a computer at all to set up an iOS device!

iCloud

Most of the good stuff won’t be available until iOS 5 is out. You can see your purchase history for apps right now to redownload apps on your devices, but I haven’t seen iTunes history yet for songs. I don’t think iCloud will do everything we thought it might. Yes, awesome stuff like song syncing, picture syncing, document syncing (iWork out of the box), contact syncing, and mail syncing is there. A whole iCloud API is being released and this isn’t going to be Mac only, either.

Features:

Photo syncing with Photostream

Document syncing with iWork

iOS backups (automatic)

Contacts Mail App syncin

iTunes syncing for songs

iBooks syncing For $25/yr you can use iTunes match to sync songs from CDs you’ve ripped. Yeah, Apple just figured out how to make money off of all the music your pirated.

As I said in the beginning, I’m going to delve deeper into all of these announcements in posts of their own. So if you have questions … hold on. I might answer them shortly!

Comments
by Zigtorious on ‎06-06-2011 07:38 PM

Looks like they're going to change the whole experience all together. Soon storage will no longer be an issue (Mac Book Airs are looking a lot more attractive)!

My only question is are you sure Air Drop is same network?

I think that would defeat the purpose of it being highlight as a key feature. I have a feeling it'll be similar to FaceTime in that it will require Wi-Fi/Ethernet only. Air Drop would seem silly if it restricts you to the same network.

by Blogger on ‎06-06-2011 08:34 PM

Pretty sure it's local network only, but I plan on watching the keynote to get more details on everything before I write up the later posts.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.