Tech Blog

Welcome To The Games of February 2010

by Blogger on ‎02-01-2010 11:02 PM - last edited on ‎05-01-2012 09:23 PM by Retired Moderator

2010 kicked off with a bang last month, delivering such hotly anticipated titles as Bayonetta, Darksiders, MAG, No More Heroes 2 and Mass Effect 2. It was the most memorable January video game line-up I've ever seen and the launching pad of another exceptional year in gaming.

It seems the games industry isn't about to let up for a second as February is poised to deliver must-have titles week-after-week, all month long.  Let's have a look at some of the more interesting titles that will soon be lining Future Shop shelves:

Star Trek Online (PC) - Feb 2

500x_3._hanging_out_on_your_bridge.jpg

The troubled production history of the first massively multiplayer online role-playing game within the Star Trek franchise hit its lowest point back in January of 2008 when former developer, Perpetual Entertainment, suddenly ceased development after the company declared bankruptcy.  The license and art assets were transferred to Cryptic Studios, the developer of popular MMORPGs City of Heroes and Champions Online fame, and with two additional years of development the game is looking great.  Star Trek fans will have the opportunity to play as a high ranking Starfleet officer or a warrior in the Klingon Empire as you travel the galaxy, visit iconic locations from the series, and make contact with new alien races.  Star Trek Online offers total customization of your Captain and Bridge Officers, including race, appearance, gender, name and physical appearance; the game also lets players customize your Federation or Klingon starship, from colour to construction.

Bioshock 2 (PC, PS3, Xbox 360) - Feb 9

500x_rumbler_battle.jpg

The sequel to the critically acclaimed 2007 shooter Bioshock, players step back into the dystopian, undersea world of Rapture as the very first Big Daddy, a creature that has had its skin and organs genetically grafted into a hulking atmospheric diving suit.  Waking up with no recollection of the past decade's events, players must explore the dilapidated and treacherous city in a desperate attempt to reunite with the Little Sister you were once paired with.  Bioshock 2 also provides a rich, story driven multiplayer experience where players assume the role of a Plasmid test subject in the underwater city that was first explored in the original Bioshock.  Experience points are earned to unlock new Weapons, Plasmids and Tonics which can be combined to create hundreds of unique ability combinations.  The multiplayer mode was developed by Canada's own Digital Extremes from London, Ontario.  The company had previously worked on the PS3 version of Bioshock, as well as the multiplatform Dark Sector and Unreal Tournament series.

Check back soon as I'll be highlighting more exciting titles launching this month.  In the meantime, here's a release schedule for the games I'm looking forward to in February.  For a full list of games hitting shelves this month, check out VGReleases.com.

---

Feb 1

Global Agenda (PC)

Feb 2

White Knight Chronicles (PS3)

Star Trek Online (PC)

Feb 9

Bioshock 2 (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Dante's Inferno (PS3, Xbox 360)

Shiren The Wanderer (Wii)

Star Ocean: The Last Hope International (PS3)

Feb 16

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (NDS)

Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii)

Alien Vs. Predator (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Feb 22

Endless Ocean: Blue World (Wii)

Feb 23

Metal Slug XX (PSP)

Heavy Rain (PS3)

Last Rebellion (PS3)

Napoleon: Total War (PC)

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (NDS, PS3, Wii, Xbox 360)

Deadly Premonition (Xbox 360)

Comments
by Trusted Expert on ‎02-02-2010 08:25 AM

Wow, I totally forgot about Star Ocean hitting the PS3 next week.  I was planning on picking up White Knight this weekend and trying desperately to get through it by the time Final Fantasy XIII releases in March... but now another JRPG has been thrown into the mix.  My whole schedule is out of whack now, thanks Paul! :smileytongue:

by Blogger ‎02-06-2010 10:47 AM - edited ‎02-06-2010 10:48 AM

You're very welcome lilwingman! 

Personally, I'm excited for both of those titles.  Star Ocean International is an enhanced version of the Xbox 360 original and the feature list says it contains "an improved battle system, overhauled menus, and additional characters".  They've also included the Japanese audio in the game.  Nothing like playing the definitive version of a JRPG game from tri-ACE.

Here's the full list of features from Siliconera:

http://www.siliconera.com/postgallery/?p_gal=54996

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.