Tech Blog

What's hot at CES? Lots of cool stuff

by Blogger on ‎01-07-2010 08:18 PM - last edited on ‎05-01-2012 09:22 AM by Retired Moderator

ces_trends.png

While Elliot is hanging out with Lady Gaga at CES, the rest of us are watching what's going on down in Sin City as well. I could focus on just eReaders or Tablets or TVs, but I think that the real story is what connects all of them-thin, light, energy efficient displays. Remember the first tablet PCs? Remember how bulky not to mention expensive and not the best batter life in town. Now we have laptops that nearly a whole workday. Looking at the crop of über thin TV and eReaders I'm pretty excited at what this means for the next few years.

While NVIDIA is pushing press releases declaring 2010 to be the "year of the tablet", I don't think they are far off or to be accused of hyperbole. Looking at what HP, Lenovo, and Dell have already demoed at CES, I think Apple's announcement later this month will just be the icing on the tablet cake. I'm looking forward to trying a tablet, but...

But I have questions. I wonder if really good tablets will hurt the laptop market-I think that they will kill netbooks wholesale-and push the swing back to desktop machines (maybe I'll get a 27" iMac!). If you can carry around a pretty Internet capable tablet, one that syncs with a desktop machine, why would you need a laptop?Will eReaders start to cause a real decline in printed books in favour of e-verions (my book is available in both PDF and Kindle formats)?

On the, umm ... front, while I think 3D TV is cool, I hope it doesn't really catch on.  I really don't want to have to keep a stock of 3D glasses around the house just to catch the news (yes, I know that's far fetched...).Those are my thoughts on CES...you?

Comments
by Contributor CutiePi314 on ‎01-11-2011 01:40 PM

"On the, umm ... front, while I think 3D TV is cool, I hope it doesn't really catch on.  I really don't want to have to keep a stock of 3D glasses around the house just to catch the news (yes, I know that's far fetched...).Those are my thoughts on CES...you?"

A 3D television is the best 2D television in any manufacturer's lineup; It just has a feature to show 3D content. Do you work at Future Shop?

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.