Tech Blog

Which Blue Mic to Get? Yeti or Snowball?

by Blogger on ‎03-12-2011 12:52 PM - last edited on ‎04-30-2012 05:09 PM by Moderator

If you do any serious or semi-serious audio recording you've probably heard of Blue Microphones. Blue makes some of the best mics in the biz and all my experiences with them have been awesome. For the podcaster/home recording person who is looking for a simple USB mic that also sounds awesome, Blue has two mics for you the Snowball and the Yeti. Brad wrote a great review of the Yeti a bit a go, but what I've been wondering is whether I should upgrade from my Blue Snowball (which I've had for a couple years) to a Yeti. Well I think I have an answer for you now... 

This morning (after finally figuring out what was causing an annoying hum in my recordings!) I set up the Snowball and Yeti side by side and opened GarageBand. I tried to keep everything as default as possible. Since the Yeti is a stereo mic, GarageBand defaults to it recording in stereo. The Snowball is a mono mic, so should I have recorded the Yeti in mono? I don't think so because I think most folks will just keep it in stereo and enjoy.

Here is how the setup looked:

IMG_1042.jpg

And here's what the recording sounded like:

Snowyetiball by trishussey

Buying advice: If you're on a budget, you can't lose with the Snowball. It's s great mic and I've recorded a ton of quality screencasts, podcasts, and voiceovers with it. However, if you have a little extra room in your budget the Yeti is worth every penny and more. The extra options for stereo, omnidirection, interview, and solo, plus the gain knob and the huge awesomeness of the sound make this a stellar mic for a range of uses. Well except for recording opera singers in the same room. My wife (even "marking"-holding back) blew out the mic even six feet away and with the gains cranked down. The quality ... yeah it was awesome though.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.