Tech Blog

Who offers the fastest Internet speed in Canada?

by Blogger on ‎10-11-2010 03:12 PM

I’ve often heard that visitors from faraway places like South Korea, Sweden and Japan have laughed at what they deem to be the snail’s pace speed of our broadband Internet connection here in Canada. Despite having so many people plugged in, we seem to have some sluggish performance. That leads me to wonder who offers the fastest connection in this country.

I stumbled across an interesting site called Net Index to get a better sense of a few things. First, what kind of general speed are we talking about in Canada, and second, where do all the different providers stand on speed tests. Unfortunately, the cost of each of these providers isn’t included, but we can surmise that in other ways.

Canada ISPs.jpg

According to Net Index, Canada has an overall average speed of 8.6 Mbps. Compare that to South Korea (35.24), Sweden (21.46) and Japan (18.27). What I found particularly interesting is that Latvia is second at 25.36 and Lithuania is third at 24.80. Other countries in the top 10 include Romania, Moldova and the Netherlands.

The U.S. taps out at 10.19 and Britain is surprisingly low at 8.56. Understandably, it’s challenging to spread out broadband in a country as vast and sparsely populated as Canada, but the results are still surprising.

Equally so when it comes to the different ISPs. Videotron is apparently the fastest, followed by Shaw and Cogeco. Rogers comes in fourth, while Bell and Telus don’t even crack the top 10. The Yukon and B.C. battle it out for the top speed by province, and for whatever reason, there is no data on Newfoundland and Labrador.  

Here’s how the data is collected: ISP ratings are based on over 13 million results from Speedtest.net. ISP rankings are from at least 10,000 unique IP addresses subscribing to that ISP. This system may not make it perfect, but the level of data is still impressive, and I don’t think the picture it presents is really all that wrong.

What do you think? Does Net Index present an accurate picture of Internet access in Canada?

Comments
by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎10-11-2010 09:17 PM

Check out this link to speed test your own individual internet connection...

http://speedtest.shaw.ca/speedtest/runtest/

During the dinner hour, I'm average 4.9mbps download on Telus in my Vancouver neighbourhood.

by Retired Blogger on ‎10-12-2010 08:46 AM

Considering how much I pay for HD cable and internet (20Mbps) from Novus (which is ridiculously LOW), I actually get up to 1.8 MB/s (that's "bytes" and not "bits" with their "standard" internet package. Half the price and twice the speed of Shaw? I am amazed how fast I can torrent stuff at home, although the downside is that they cater to residential apartment buildings.

To your point about if Net Index presents an accurate picture of Internet speeds... it's difficult to say because we have to take income and technological preference (by culture) into account. People can always buy more bandwidth for ridiculous speed (in any country), but a certain baseline must be achieved to have comparable results across a sample size. 

by CynicallyYours on ‎10-25-2010 04:50 AM

That's not where you should be worried.  Having a fast internet connection is pointless if you have a low transfer cap.  It'd be nice if I can hit 25Mbit when I download stuff, but it just means I'll hit the 50-60Gbyte transfer cap 3 times faster than on my 8Mbit connection... and then Rogers and Bell and the other big ISPs will hit you with the overage fees...

The big ISPs are making a killing with their standard fees and the caps mean that they don't have to make any major investments in their infrastructure.  Just watch in a few years when their infrastructure and policies are shown as outdated and they raise fees so they can rebuild the system on our dime instead of theirs.

by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎10-28-2010 10:46 PM

There's a new speed test link now...

http://speedtest.shaw.ca/

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.