Tech Blog

Wii U Comparison: 8GB or 32GB?

by Blogger ‎10-06-2012 02:11 PM - edited ‎10-06-2012 02:29 PM

Wii U.jpg

If you missed Paul's Wii U Launch Announcement last month, there's a few things you might want to consider when purchasing your Wii U this holiday season.  Set to be released November 18, Nintendo announced that the console would be available in two different models, the 8GB priced at $299.99 and the 32GB priced at $349.99.  While it might be a no-brainer for some of you, there may be those that are a little conflicted considering the price jump.  Is the upgrade worthy of your time and money?  I think so. 

First, let me give you a quick rundown of the two models and what they have to offer: 

Wii U 8GB Basic Set

White Wii U console with 8GB of internal storage

One white Gamepad controller

AC Adapters for both the console and controller

Sensor bar

HDMI cable

Wii U 32GB Deluxe Set

Black Wii U console with 32GB of internal storage

One black Gamepad controller

Nintendo Land video game 

Console stand

Gamepad charging cradle

Gamepad stand that allows it to sit vertically on a table

AC Adapters for both the console and controller

Sensor bar

HDMI cable

Price-wise, the 32GB model is definitely the winner of the two, which is only $50 more than the 8GB yet comes complete with Nintendo Land, a charging station, stand and extra internal storage.  Even if you don't plan on playing Nintendo Land it's still a better offer considering how useful added storage and a charging station has been for past consoles.  

At the same time, the controller runs on built-in rechargeable batteries so a cradle might not be necessary for some of you if you're already going to be charging the Gamepad anyways. The same goes for the stand which isn't really necessary either, and is more for aesthetic appeal.  Fair enough.  

As an added bonus, Deluxe buyers will also receive Nintendo Network Premium, a rewards program that offers a points system (it seems similar to the Club Nintendo rewards program)  and 10% off on all digital purchases for two years.  

The biggest winning factor in all of this is definitely the internal storage.  With the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 offering significantly more storage, it escapes me why Nintendo didn't make the 32GB model the starter with a 64GB upgrade (I'm guessing price had to do with it).  The Wii U does offer a built-in motion control system unlike the 360 or PS3 so I guess that's the sacrifice you have to make, otherwise the console would be too expensive. 

My final verdict?  Go for the 32GB.  The internal storage alone proves this to be the more cost-effective choice and comes with several added bonuses to seal the deal.  

Comments
by Blogger on ‎10-25-2012 07:07 AM

I'm going with the 32GB version for the reasons you stated above, plus I much prefer the black look which will compliment my PS3 and Xbox 360 nicely.  :-)

by Recognized Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎10-25-2012 07:33 AM

Definitely. When factoring in the value and the minimal $50 difference in price, the 8gb bundle doesn't really feel like a better option for consumers who want to spend a bit less, it feels more like a consolation bundle for those who miss out on the 32gb model. If Nintendo wanted to offer a more economical bundle, they should have dropped the price a little more than that. This just feels like a bundle that says "If you don't want Nintendo Land, then we'll knock off the cost of that software, and you can have a console & bundle of lesser value for the same price."

by Trusted Expert on ‎10-25-2012 10:18 AM

I still feel like Nintendo, while innovating style and presentation, is lagging behind once again.  They are finally making the foray into HD, just as it is on the way out.  Everyone else is getting ready to move up to 4K, with the Xbox 720 and PS4 (working titles) under development, set for release in the next couple of years, OLED technology starting to appear, 4K TVs showing up, etc. Sure, this will sell like hotcakes for the first little while, but then the flare will wear off, just like the Wii, and within two years I can see this console ending up in the same situation the Wii currently is in.  I remember being excited for the Wii, and I enjoyed it for a few months, and then began playing games less and less on it, and now, it's used to weigh in on Wii Fit and collect dust on the entertainment centre. 

Nintendo has come to the party after last call yet again.

JB

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.