Tech Blog

Displaying articles for: 10-21-2012 - 10-27-2012

Exploring Sharp's AQUOS Line

by Blogger on ‎10-26-2012 08:09 PM - last edited on ‎10-03-2013 05:02 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

sharp aquos 60 centre.jpg

Loaded with features like the Quattron 4 colour system, the X-Gen panel, and Aquomotion technology, Sharp’s AQUOS line of televisions actually succeed in delivering some genuinely useful innovations. Let’s look at a diverse variety of AQUOS televisions, and see if there’s one that can match your home theatre ambitions.

Read more...

The difference between Windows RT and Windows 8

by Retired Blogger on ‎10-26-2012 04:00 PM - last edited on ‎07-11-2013 01:44 PM by JorgeM Recognized Expert

Win8vsRT_600.jpg

Today is the day. One of the biggest days ever in Microsoft’s history: the launch of Windows 8. Why am I saying today is bigger than, say, the Windows 7 launch? Because just like how the launch of Windows 95 meant the end of DOS, the launch of  Windows 8 is Microsoft breaking with many of the conventions of all their operating systems since Windows 3.1. Windows 8’s primary interface is the ‘live-tile’, touch-friendly based ‘Modern UI’, which is a dramatic paradigm shift away from the current UI based on icons, windows and menus all of us are used to. Along with this radical change in the way we interact with Windows, in order to make it better-suited to use on mobile devices like tablets, Microsoft has also made some big changes under the hood. One of those big changes is Windows RT, a new version of Windows available on select devices, and it is important to understand the differences between RT and 8 when shopping for a new PC.

Read more...

Review: Fable: The Journey

by Blogger ‎10-26-2012 09:48 AM - edited ‎10-26-2012 09:56 AM

s9s7o.jpeg

Since the Kinect was released, we've had some high hopes about motion control peripherals and how they could benefit our gaming experience.  Hopes of creating more immersive gameplay on the Kinect have fallen short, with very few developers actually taking that creative leap.  Balanced gameplay is another factor that's oftentimes missed resulting in broken, unplayable games, regardless of how compelling they may be.  Maintaining that fine balance between creativity and playability may be one of the biggest challenges, but also one of the most beneficial.  If the motion control game market hopes to thrive, developers need to peak interest while offering a quality experience -- easier said than done.  

Lionhead Studios, known for their work on the Fable series, has decided to take that plunge with their first motion control game, Fable: The Journey.

Read more...

Windows 8 - In stores now!

by Blogger ‎10-26-2012 09:47 AM - edited ‎10-26-2012 04:25 PM

2012-10-25-13263-3403-16.jpg

Today is a pretty big day for Microsoft. Thats mainly due Windows 8 finally launching to the public today. Windows is a pretty big deal in the computing world, and a new version is always an opportunity to shake things up. With all the changes that have been going on lately with new form-factors and paradigms of computing (whether its smartphones, tablets, all-in-one PCs, ultrabooks, and odd hybrid machines) Windows 8 looks to take advantage of all that variety while allowing for a unified and consistent user experience without compromise. There are a lot of familiar elements to Windows 8, and a lot of changes.

Read more...

1080p 3D Solutions for Under a Grand

by Blogger on ‎10-25-2012 10:56 PM - last edited on ‎01-23-2013 10:51 AM by JorgeM Recognized Expert

BenQ XGA DLP projector.jpg

When viewed in high definition, 3D really reveals an incredible depth of detail. Today, we'll be checking out some 3D 1080p options that are currently available for less than a thousand dollars. Before examining these big screen 3D solutions, let’s begin with a look at a premium 3D Blu-ray disc player.

Read more...

Review: Dyson DC45 Digital Slim Vacuum

by Blogger on ‎10-25-2012 01:05 PM

digitalSlimRunTime.jpeg

When I received the Dyson DC45 in the mail, I was shocked at the size of the box. Dyson wasn’t kidding about bringing a slim vacuum to the market. This model looked to be on the Atkins diet. It’s skinny! Which is useful for people living in small homes or apartments.  Let’s get the skinny on the Dyson DC45.

Read more...

Preview: Epic Mickey 2: The Power Of Two

by Retired Blogger on ‎10-25-2012 09:19 AM - last edited on ‎06-19-2013 03:36 PM by Administrator

EM2_title1.jpg

Mickey Mouse is one of the world’s most iconic fictional characters, yet, surprisingly, he has never really been a popular video game character. In 2010 Disney and Junction Point Studios, led by legendary game designer Warren Spector (of Deus Ex fame), addressed this by successfully reinventing Mickey as a modern video game hero in their Wii-exclusive game, Disney Epic Mickey. Along with bringing Mickey Mouse to a new generation of gamers, Warren Spector also brought back one of Walt Disney’s first, and forgotten, cartoon characters, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. Last week Warren Spector was in Toronto to promote the sequel, Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (coming to Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox 360, PC and Mac on November 18th), and you can check out my videos after the break of his informative, behind-the-scenes presentation at Digifest, gameplay showing off the co-op mode, and an interview with Warren Warren - one of the most engaging and passionate people in games.

Read more...

iMessage icon.jpgOne feature introduced in Mac OS X Mountain Lion when it launched in the summer was the ability to use iMessage to send and receive messages with iOS users. If you haven’t tried it or haven’t found a use for it, it can come in real handy at opportune times.

Read more...

Review: The MartinLogan Motion Vision Speaker Bar

by Blogger ‎10-24-2012 09:42 PM - edited ‎10-24-2012 09:50 PM

soundbar -- front.jpg

At a width of only forty inches, the MartinLogan Motion Vision Speaker Bar seems unassuming at first – the entire unit barely weighs twenty pounds. A closer examination reveals its seven unique amplifiers, which have been designed to deliver a punchy 100 watts of output... but does this speaker bar offer the kind of quality playback which you’ll be requiring for your media and music needs? Supporting a variety of wired and wireless external components, I’ll be examining Motion Vision Speaker Bar without the assistance of any satellite speakers – so we can get an unobstructed look at this device’s performance.

Read more...

Preview: Assassin's Creed III

by Blogger ‎10-24-2012 08:13 PM - edited ‎10-24-2012 08:15 PM

ac3_le_cover_crop.jpg

It’s launch is tantalizingly less than a week away. Gamers around the world have been yearning for it. Its probably got more hype and higher expectations than any other AAA video game title being released this holiday season. To top that all off, its even been developed by a Canadian studio! Next week Canadians will be able to finally get their eagar hands on Assassin’s Creed II from Ubisoft Montreal for the Sony PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. Later in the year it will even be available for the new Nintendo Wii U console. With such a hot title on the horizon this is a pretty good chance to take a look at what fans can expect so you can get those last minute pre-orders in.

Read more...

Third Party Ports.jpg

A few weeks ago, we talked about a few third-party Wii U ports and the new featuers they offer on the console. Today I'll be continuing the three-part series and talk about three new much-anticipated ports: Darksiders II, Just Dance 4 and Assassin's Creed III.  

Wii U Third-Party Ports 101 Part 1 featured ports for Mass Effect 3, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge and Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition. Check it out! 

Let me know what you think, and if there are any you plan on picking up yourself! 

Read more...

Upgrading to 1080p

by Blogger on ‎10-23-2012 08:13 PM - last edited on ‎01-23-2013 10:51 AM by JorgeM Recognized Expert

banner.jpg

When you can notice each individual twig on a forest floor, you begin to realize just how detailed 1080p really is. Higher resolutions usually require a larger television to truly reveal their actual depth, so let’s take a few moments to examine a trio of high-end televisions – each which is more than capable of delivering big screen performance in 1080p.

Read more...

Future Shop does TEDxVancouver 2012

by Blogger ‎10-23-2012 02:33 PM - edited ‎10-23-2012 02:41 PM

TEDxVan.jpg

(Image by: Hasan Habib)

TEDxVancouver returned to beautiful British Columbia for a fourth straight year, and once again, Future Shop was there showing support for the non-profit organization, and the attendees.

Read more...

types1.jpg

Alpine has been a trusted brand in car audio for years.  The Type R series of subwoofers are well-known for their high performance at a modest price, but with the release of the new Type S subwoofer Alpine has raised the bar once again, and has redefined what to expect under the two-hundred dollar price mark.

Read more...

Review: Rocksmith (PC)

by Blogger on ‎10-23-2012 07:39 AM

26-Rocksmith.jpg

Last week we saw Rocksmith Guitar & Bass finally get released for PC. At it’s surface you might be excused for confusing it with games like Guitar Hero or Rockband that has players fiddle with toy plastic game controllers shaped like tiny musical instruments in rhythm with their favorite songs. Rocksmith is so much more than that. It really is the pinnacle of the genre, and possibly the best current example of educational video games on the market. 

Read more...

Review: Just Dance 4

by Blogger on ‎10-23-2012 07:38 AM

just-dance-4-502b70865905f.jpg

Hey, do you like music? Do you like having fun? If you’ve answered yes to these admittedly broad questions, you’ll probably have at some fun if you lose some inhibitions and spend some time partaking of a quick game of Just Dance 4. I never really played much of its predecessors, and admittedly am not the biggest fan of the genre but having spent some time with Just Dance 4 and some friends, I can definitely say I would do so again without hesitation.

Read more...

Forza Horizon gets the green light

by Blogger ‎10-23-2012 07:36 AM - edited ‎10-23-2012 07:37 AM

GetPhoto.jpgToday is the day that car lovers and video game lovers alike have been waiting for. Forza Horizon just hit retail shelves nationwide bringing the fun of the fictitious Horizon car and music festival in Colorado to life on Microsoft’s Xbox 360 game console. Forza already has a very solid pedigree with the four installments to the Forza Motorsport series receiving critical acclaim over the years. Forza Horizon is certainly a departure from that so lets take a look at what gamers can expect when they pick it up.

Read more...

3vbz3.jpeg

I remember the first time I played a Pokémon game, spending hours upon hours traveling through the Kanto region discovering strange new creatures (commonly referred to as "Pocket Monsters" back then). My imagination would be racing as I would catch and collect new characters to add to my all-star team.  It wasn't always easy and I faced some brutal defeats, but me and my team managed to pull through each and every time.  It was the perfect time to be a ten-year-old, and stuck with me well into my later teens and twenties.  Every few months or so I'll grab my copy of Pokémon Blue, Yellow or Silver (and, if I'm lucky enough to find it, my N64 Transfer Pack), and reminisce over those memories.  

Read more...

"Boo!" Halloween is just over a week a way. Whether you have kids or not, Halloween can be a fun diversion from Fall's routine. Luckily, Halloween is one of those holidays that doesn't require much preparation. Here are a few surefire ways to get into the Halloween spirit!

1. Decorate your home for Halloween!

Decorating your home for Halloween is one of the best ways to get your spook on. You can easily update a Fall / Thanksgiving display for Halloween by throwing in a little ghostly fun. For example, if you used vases or bowls to display Fall florals or accents for Thanksgiving, you can re-purpose them for Halloween by filling them with black feathers or candy.

In my home, I created a Halloween-themed mantel display by keeping many of the same elements from my Fall mantel, but by adding Halloween touches like a black feather boa and wreath, and adhesive bat stickers.

Read more...

Review: Kobo Glo eReader

by Blogger on ‎10-22-2012 07:54 AM - last edited on ‎07-11-2013 01:54 PM by JorgeM Recognized Expert

showcase_slide_kobo_glo_image001.png

Kobo's wide selection of eReaders coupled with their vast library of 3 million eBooks, robust social reading features and constant innovation makes them a top pick for any eBook enthusiast. The new Kobo Glo eBook Reader solves one of the fundamental deficiencies of eBook readers elegantly and affordably.

Read more...

Skylanders: Giants Is Out Now!

by Blogger on ‎10-22-2012 07:50 AM

Rc2ZU.jpeg

Have you been anxiously awaiting the sequel to the popular Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, Skylanders: Giants?  Released yesterday, October 21, you can now enjoy all the action-adventure goodness with your friends and explore all the new, unique characters in store.  

Read more...

Review: Bose SoundLink AirPlay Digital Music System

by Blogger ‎10-22-2012 06:07 AM - edited ‎10-22-2012 08:01 AM

bose-soundlink-air-speaker-mobile-0.jpeg

Bose has been one of the most popular makers of premium iPod and iPhone audio accessories. Their SoundDock speaker systems have long been the standard bearer of quality external speakers for iOS. In the age of AirPlay and the shift away from Apple's Dock Connector, the new SoundLink AirPlay speakers make the most sense for a multiple-device home or office.

Read more...

3DS or 3DS XL.jpg

Since the release of the Nintendo 3DS XL you might be wondering to yourself, 'What handheld is right for me: the 3DS or the XL?'.  When I had a chance to tinker with the XL I asked myself the same question and doubted whether my purple 3DS would suffice.  In a comparison, can we honestly say that bigger is better?.  Perhaps, but that really depends upon what you're looking for in your gaming experience.

Read more...

Recipe: Kale Pesto

by Blogger on ‎10-21-2012 10:46 AM - last edited on ‎10-22-2012 11:33 AM by Administrator

Kale-pesto.jpg

My fabulous mom (and wonderful cook) made a kale pesto for pasta dinner. It was amazing that I overate on pasta. Here is her easy and flavorful recipe. 

Read more...

About Tech Blog

MartinR - Editor-in-Chief
PaulH - Gaming Editor
gaming & movies
TeddyK - Cell and Computing Editor
cell, computers, gaming, photo & gadgets
Graham - Photo and Gadgets Editor
photography
Rajio
Computers, Audio & Home Theatre
ThePej
Appliances and Lifestyle
Elliott
Appliances, Gaming & Mobile
MikeYawney
home theatre, mobile, gaming, gadgets
gadjosevilla
Mobile, Appliances, Portable Audio
Jason Thomson
Cameras & Photography
BradPajuluoma
Gaming
Leo Bond
Toys and Gadgets
AshleyMartyn
Musical Instruments
ErinLYYC
Home Theatre, Lifestyle
CoreyHerscu
Home Theatre and Mobile
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 364 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members:
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.