Tech Blog

Displaying articles for: 12-02-2012 - 12-08-2012

vga10winners_610.jpg

Last night the 2012 Spike Video Game Awards aired, showcasing the biggest and best games of the year across all gaming platforms. The runaway winner this year was The Walking Dead: The Game by Telltale Games, which won for Game of the Year, Best Adapted Video Game, and Best Downloadable Game.  Telltale Games had even more to celebrate with their game development studio winning the award for Studio of the Year.

Read more...

The Samsung DA E750 is Awesome

by Blogger on ‎12-08-2012 07:10 PM - last edited on ‎12-12-2012 10:45 AM by Retired Administrator

Samsung DA E750 -- front.JPG

The 100 watt Samsung iPod Wireless Speaker Dock was definitely designed with aesthetics in mind. From its polished wooden finish, to the glass window which offers an unobstructed view of the device’s glowing vacuum tubes, Samsung’s high-end dock promises to deliver rich, harmonic sound – and delivers it, too. Read on.

Read more...

Gaming Board Games Kids Will Love

by Blogger ‎12-08-2012 01:37 AM - edited ‎12-08-2012 01:43 AM

Super Mario.jpg

While our gaming content on the Tech Blog heavily favours the electronic kind, there's another kind of gaming that's still extremely popular, especially during the holiday: tabletop gaming.  Did you know that futureshop.ca carries a vast selection of board games?  What's more, many of the board games futureshop.ca carries are video game-themed.  Super Mario Checkers & Tic Tac Toe, Monopoly: World of Warcraft Edition, Risk: Halo Legendary Edition, they're all right here on futureshop.ca.

Read more...

"Bouncing Buddies" Toy: Product Review

by Blogger on ‎12-07-2012 08:14 PM

I recently had the opportunity to try out  a "Bouncing Buddies" toy with my 3-year old twin boys.  The product is a cute animal made of soft vinyl that is used to bounce on.  It claims to aid in developing a child's balancing and coordination abilities.

The boys were excited to see a green dragon on the box! When we opened the package,we realized I needed to inflate it with the small pump that came with it.  Certainly, it was understandable that it didn't come pre-inflated, given that the finished size is relatively large, at about 22" long and 10" high.  But if you're giving this as a gift, I'd highly recommend pumping it up first.  If your young kids are anything like mine, once they see something on a toy package, they want it exactly that way NOW!

The little guy came out of the package like a pancake, and the boys waited patiently (ahem...yah right!) while watching Mommy figure how to use the pump. In the end, I enlisted the help of both my 8-year old daughter and our babysitter, and eventually we got our little green dragon to come to life!

Bouncing Buddies Review

Read more...

An introductory guide to port forwarding

by Blogger on ‎12-07-2012 06:31 PM

telephone_operator1.jpg

Have you ever heard about Port Forwarding? for many it can seem like a sort of networking black art. Something that they’ve heard hushed whispers of but never really bothered to investigate.It can seem cryptic and daunting. It involves numbers and some knowledge of your networking setup. If you’re brave enough to wade the deep waters and get it all set up to your liking it can make a big difference in your networking performance and help resolve lots of possible issues.

Read more...

Time to look at more watches: Fila and Nike bring sporty-casual choices

by Blogger on ‎12-07-2012 08:46 AM - last edited on ‎12-07-2012 09:50 AM by Retired Administrator

NikeUnboxed.JPG

You may have caught on, watches are an interest of mine. They are an accessory in the fashion world seen as a key statement piece to finish or enhance an outfit. I'm no runway expert, but I do agree with the experts who stress the importance of matching accessories - including technology - with lifestyle and clothing. I also like watches that are practical when it comes to athletics. 

Read more...

1000+ Watts of Power: Amp up your Home Theatre for Less than $400

by Blogger on ‎12-06-2012 07:35 PM - last edited on ‎12-12-2012 10:46 AM by Retired Administrator

LG right.JPG

Currently available for $400 or less, these three 1000+ watt bundles include all the components you’ll need to convert your lone HDTV into an entertainment juggernaut. Let’s take a good look at this trio of kits, and see if a home-theatre-in-a-box can kick your holidays into high gear.

Read more...

Review: Corsair Vengeance K60 Gaming Keyboard

by Retired Blogger ‎12-06-2012 03:06 PM - edited ‎12-06-2012 11:31 PM

Corsair K60_title-1.jpg

If you are old enough to remember the early days of personal computing, you’ll remember that back in the day keyboards (such as the classic IBM Model M keyboard, which is still in production!) were built like tanks, and had a tactile typing experience that can’t be matched by the cheap keyboards that come with modern computers. Most modern keyboards, including many gaming ones, use a rubber dome under the key, which just doesn’t give you the same feel as proper mechanical keys.

Recently, though, mechanical keyboards have made a bit of a comeback, especially for gaming, where they can provide the feel, fast reaction times, and sensitivity gamers need. The latest company to bring out a mechanical gaming keyboard is Corsair, well known for their high-performance RAM and power-supplies. Their Vengeance K60 FPS Gaming Keyboard uses Cherry MX Red switches for the keys, and has striking red contoured, textured, and rubber coated WASD keys sitting on a very attractive brushed aluminum chassis. I’ve been using one for a few months now as my personal keyboard, so let’s see what I think after the jump.

Read more...

Review: SiriusXM Lynx

by Blogger ‎12-05-2012 09:01 PM - edited ‎12-05-2012 09:05 PM

SiriusXM Lynx.jpg

It might not be a stretch to say that satellite radio has just gone through a little bit of a makeover because of how listening to the content has changed. It used to be something you’d keep in the car or near a window at home. Some Internet functionality came in with certain speaker systems and the mobile apps a couple of years ago, but the Lynx from SiriusXM takes those things and brings them to a standalone device.

Read more...

2012 Canadian Video Game Awards - Open for nominations!

by Blogger ‎12-05-2012 05:49 PM - edited ‎12-05-2012 05:50 PM

cvas-logo111.jpgNext year on April 20, 2013 we’ll see the fourth annual Canadian Video Game awards show, having Future Shop as their title sponsor. The Vancouver Convention Centre will be home to the show, honoring the best the Canadian video game industry had to offer in 2012. 

Read more...

Blu-ray Review: ParaNorman

by Blogger ‎12-05-2012 03:44 PM - edited ‎12-05-2012 03:47 PM

9LeJD.jpeg

You know the formula. Zombies are everywhere these days, tv shows, movies, comics, you name it, but how often do we get the chance to take sides with these shambling horrors?  ParaNorman, from the makers of Neil Gaiman's Coraline, defies everything we ever imagined from the horror genre.  This team isn't afraid to play with fire and does so with total gusto.  

Read more...

Shaken & Stirred: Some Advice for Holiday Entertaining!

by Blogger ‎12-05-2012 03:34 PM - edited ‎12-05-2012 04:16 PM

Have you ever wondered how some people can be "natural entertainers", while others dread the idea almost as much as having a root canal? While I think we all enjoy the idea of holiday entertaining, the reality is that pulling it off with ease can be anxiety-ridden for some of us!  Here's two things I try to remember to help me get over my fears, and truly enjoy our company.

Holiday Entertaining Ideas

1. Imperfection is perfect!  One of the things that holds most of us back from entertaining is our need for perfection. But our friends and family don't expect our homes to be perfect. 

Read more...

Out Now: Far Cry 3

by Blogger on ‎12-05-2012 12:21 PM

MbsqW.jpeg

Survival can change a person, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst. When survival governs your entire life, no matter the cataclysm, priorities and responsibilities change and manifest into something raw, something instinctual.  The Far Cry series has always been keen on themes like humanity, control and innocence, taking a realistic look on human degradation and transformation. Ubisoft's latest endeavour, Far Cry 3, returns with some satisfying results.

Read more...

When I was asked to review three different King Koil memory foam pillows, I couldn't help but feel a little giddy.  As a mom of three (including twin boy toddlers who wake at the crack of dawn), the promise of a good night's sleep was like handing me a present all wrapped up with a pretty bow! 

King Koil memory foam pillows review

Coincidentally, I'd been in the market for a memory foam pillow recently. I was already convinced of the sleep benefits of memory foam because I'd been using a memory foam mattress topper for the past year.  However, I just wasn't 100% certain I could give up my soft, fluff-able pillow!

Read more...

Sonos iPhone screenshot.jpgIf you have a Sonos sound system, you will be interested to know that you can now stream music and podcasts you have stored on the device directly, instead of having to do it through your Mac or PC. Update your Sonos Controller app on your iOS device and you’ll see your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch appear under the Music menu.

Read more...

Review: ASUS VivoTab RT Windows tablet

by Blogger ‎12-05-2012 05:55 AM - edited ‎12-05-2012 07:45 AM

R1059513.JPG

The ASUS Transformer Prime is one of the most enticing and desired 10-inch Android tablets. It is also one of the most functional when mated with its keyboard dock that turns it into a decent notebook. ASUS applied the same approach to the incredibly slim and compact VivoTab RT tablet to give Microsoft's own Surface tablet a run for its money.

Read more...

PSY1.jpg

To Cook or Not to Cook...with the tunes of Gangnam Style playing in the background? Now, that is the question. This is for your friend or family member who loves to rock to the catchy lyrics from the Korean rapper, Psy, while finding new ways to cook. Here are the perfect cooking tools for this holiday gift list. 

Read more...

Defining the HD Voice feature on phones and networks

by Blogger ‎12-04-2012 05:56 AM - edited ‎12-04-2012 05:56 AM

widebandaudio.jpg

Today’s feature phones and smartphone are all competing to have faster processors, bigger cameras, more storage space as well as improved all-around functionality but what about call quality over congested networks? A new feature called HD Voice also known as Wideband Audio is coming to address this issue.

Read more...

007 Fans: Check out this Sony BRAVIA Holiday Promotion

by Blogger on ‎12-03-2012 11:03 PM - last edited on ‎01-23-2013 10:48 AM by JorgeM Recognized Expert

james bond movie set.JPG

Purchase a 46” or 55” Sony BRAVIA before December 20th, and you’ll receive a complimentary 22-disc James Bond collection. Beautifully remastered for this Blu-ray rerelease, these epic tales of international espionage are a perfect surprise for any aspiring 007 – but can the Sony BRAVIA keep up with MI6’s best agent? 

Read more...

Review: Paper Mario: Sticker Star

by Blogger ‎12-03-2012 08:53 PM - edited ‎12-03-2012 08:54 PM

ENzx1.jpeg

It's about time we got another instalment in the Paper Mario series.  Since the series began in 2001 (or 1996 if you think Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars truly started it all), it's warmed hearts with its lovable characters, cute environments, charming gameplay and quirky humor.  It's been a favourite for many from the very beginning, even during it's unimpressive moments, and has persevered over the years.  

Paper Mario: Sticker Star is a little different from the past games in the series, but never strays too far from its  formula.  What will take some getting used to is the combat system, which ditches its relatively simple timed action-RPG ways and instead goes for something a little more tactical and deep.  

Read more...

Sony’s Music Unlimited now $1 per month to PlayStation Plus subscribers

by Blogger on ‎12-03-2012 08:53 PM - last edited on ‎06-20-2013 01:01 PM by JorgeM Recognized Expert

Music Unlimited PS3 screen.jpg

Those of you who have a smartphone, tablet, computer, or any combination of the three — as well as a PlayStation Plus subscription — might be interested to know that Sony has is also offering its Music Unlimited music streaming service for just $12 for a full year. That amounts to $1 per month for something that is normally $9.99 per. There’s no word on how long the promotion will last, but it’s there to scoop up on your PlayStation 3.

Read more...

Kitchen Gadgets for the Holiday Gift List

by Blogger on ‎12-03-2012 05:13 PM

Image.jpg

Everyone needs a new kitchen gadget that will empower him or her while juicing, cooking, baking, or brewing. For those who love their kitchen, here’s the must have essential gadgets.

Read more...

Preview: Samsung Windows 8 ATIV Smart PC tablets [with video]

by Retired Blogger ‎12-03-2012 10:40 AM - edited ‎12-14-2012 09:34 AM

ATIV Smart PC Pro_600-1.jpg

I recently got a chance to spend some time with Samsung’s new ATIV Smart PC and Smart PC Pro, both full Windows 8 (not RT) tablets, that can run both ‘Modern’ UI applications, and legacy Windows applications (think Windows 7 apps) in desktop mode. The ATIV Smart PC 500T is an entry-level model using a low-powered Atom CPU, and the ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T is a full-blown Ultrabook replacement, that has a Core i5 CPU and a 128GB SSD. Both tablets have optional keyboard docks, which turn them into convertible laptops.

After the break you can check out my video, in which Neil from Samsung Canada gives me a detailed walk-through of both models, and read more about these new tablets, which are available at Future Shop, the 500T now, the 700T soon.

Read more...

Why upgrade your PC's RAM?

by Blogger on ‎12-03-2012 10:33 AM

ram-pc.jpg

Upgrading the RAM in your PC is generally one of the least expensive and easiest upgrades you can perform. The price of RAM upgrades is low enough that you can see a big jump in performance without over-burdening your wallet. Lets take a look at what this is all about. You might not even know what RAM does for your machine, after all.

Read more...

Quick Review - Photo Director 4

by Blogger on ‎12-03-2012 10:30 AM

120312-Cyberlink-Photo-Director-4.jpg

Looking for a photo editor that's easy to use and gives you room to grow? I've been a big fan of the pro versions of editing like Lightroom and Aperture for a long time -- but this free piece of software knocked my socks off.

Read more...

Review: Wii U Pro Controller

by Blogger ‎12-03-2012 01:36 AM - edited ‎12-03-2012 01:45 AM

WiiU_Procontroller-580x435.jpg

To coincide with the launch of their Wii U console, Nintendo has designed a new controller aimed specifically at the hardcore gamer - the Wii U Pro Controller. It does, at first glance, resemble an Xbox 360 controller, however there are many subtle differences between the two.  Considering how comfortable the Xbox 360 controller is, you might be wondering if the Wii U Pro Controller holds up after extended gameplay use.  I'm happy to let you know it does.

Read more...

Review: Wonderbook: Book of Spells

by Blogger on ‎12-02-2012 10:57 PM - last edited on ‎12-03-2012 11:11 AM by Retired Administrator

Book-of-Spells-Dragon.jpg

J.K. Rowling's latest wizardly creation is here with Wonderbook: Book of Spells, a game that takes advantage of Sony's PlayStation Move technology.  Using the new Wonderbook peripheral, Book of Spells is the closest a Harry Potter fan can get to experiencing first-hand the excitement and wonder that comes with learning some of the most popular spells taught at the Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Read more...

Review: Logitech K760 Wireless Solar Keyboard

by Blogger on ‎12-02-2012 11:14 AM - last edited on ‎05-05-2014 02:41 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

hero.jpg

Logitech is well known for their line of computing accessories. They have a long history of PC accessories, and have been doing quite well with their tablet oriented accessories lately too. Today we’re taking a look at the Logitech K760. Its a Wireless solar keyboard accessory, a step up from their K750 which was quite popular when it rolled out last year.

Read more...

About Tech Blog

MartinR - Editor-in-Chief
PaulH - Gaming Editor
gaming & movies
TeddyK - Cell and Computing Editor
cell, computers, gaming, photo & gadgets
Graham - Photo and Gadgets Editor
photography
Rajio
Computers, Audio & Home Theatre
ThePej
Appliances and Lifestyle
Elliott
Appliances, Gaming & Mobile
MikeYawney
home theatre, mobile, gaming, gadgets
gadjosevilla
Mobile, Appliances, Portable Audio
Jason Thomson
Cameras & Photography
BradPajuluoma
Gaming
Leo Bond
Toys and Gadgets
AshleyMartyn
Musical Instruments
ErinLYYC
Home Theatre, Lifestyle
CoreyHerscu
Home Theatre and Mobile
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Labels
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 227 guests
Please welcome our newest community members:
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.