Tech Blog

Displaying articles for: 03-25-2012 - 03-31-2012

@FuturePics Photo Tip of the Week - Stay stable to beat blur

by Blogger on ‎03-31-2012 02:40 PM - last edited on ‎04-27-2012 09:15 AM by Retired Moderator

futurepics_blur_sucks.jpg

Capturing a great moment can be ruined by blur from a shaky camera. Courtesy of @FuturePics, here's a quick way to stop the shakes!

Blur is the bane of great photographs; it’s the one of those things that you can’t clean up easily (if at all) in an image editor, and it seems to pop up in whole lot of different situations. Blur happens for a few reasons, which get quite technical. Instead of getting into the nitty gritty, we’re going to look at one way to stop blur today: getting stable while on the go.

Read more...

Journey Becomes Fastest Selling PSN Game Ever

by Blogger on ‎03-29-2012 07:06 PM - last edited on ‎04-27-2012 09:31 AM by Retired Moderator

journey-header1.jpeg

Lately, you've probably been hearing a lot about the PSN game Journey.  If you've seen gameplay footage or screencaps that shouldn't really surprise you considering how beautifully done the game really is.  Luckily for the developer behind this inspiring new downloadable, thatgamecompany, it seems that all that hard work behind the game has paid off. Jenova Chen of thatgamecompany announced that Journey has become "the fastest selling game ever released in the SCEA region on the PlayStation Network." Right on!  

Read more...

EA announces vote for NHL 13 cover boy, UEFA Euro 2012 available April 24

by Blogger on ‎03-29-2012 05:46 PM - last edited on ‎03-30-2012 11:14 AM by Administrator

nhl13covervotelogo_packart-600x300.jpg

In two separate announcements earlier today, EA Sports launched a campaign that would let fans and gamers vote for who they think should star on the cover of NHL 13, and also unveiled details on UEFA Euro 2012, which will be sold as a downloadable expansion pack on April 24 for anyone who already has FIFA 12 for the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Read more...

Review: Ooma Telo can easily replace your landline

by Blogger on ‎03-29-2012 10:08 AM - last edited on ‎04-27-2012 04:02 PM by Moderator

Ooma-telo-base.jpg

It’s not usually considered a big story, but it’s a recurring one. I’m talking about the landline, a seeming relic of a bygone era that has been taken over by mobile phones and apps like Skype. While that is largely true, Skype is just one part of a wider story around VoIP, the ability to use a phone line that runs on an Internet connection.

Products like the NetTalk Duo have been covered here already, but the Ooma Telo is another one of those VoIP devices that is more than good enough to replace your landline — and for peanuts per month.

Read more...

Canon vs. Canon: does the 530HS beat the 520HS for value?

by Blogger on ‎03-29-2012 08:33 AM - last edited on ‎04-27-2012 02:48 PM by Moderator

canon_digital_ELPH_530HS.jpg

Earlier this week I reviewed the Canon Digital ELPH 520HS. Long story short? I liked it: it’s what the market has come to expect from Canon in a point and shoot, carrying the weight of a long legacy with grace. The Digital ELPH 530HS is a slightly different beast: it’s what happens when Canon decides to take the things people like about smartphones, and merge them with a camera. Does it work? Click through to find out.

Read more...

Fez Hits XBLA on April 13

by Blogger on ‎03-28-2012 07:04 PM - last edited on ‎03-29-2012 05:24 AM by Retired Moderator

Fez_videogame.jpeg

Indie developer Polytron just recently announced that their long-awaited XBLA game, Fez, will finally be released on April 13.  For 800 Microsoft Points (about $10) Fez is practically a steal.  Much like Super Paper Mario, Fez allows you to switch between 2D and 3D perspectives.  This element makes for a visually stunning and perplexing puzzle platformer that I can't wait to try out for myself. 

Read more...

ACIII_Battlefield_CONCEPT ART.jpg

The true third game in Ubisoft’s flagship Assassin’s Creed series was announced at the beginning of the month.  Assassin’s Creed III, unlike the Brotherhood and Revelations, which were more like expansions to AC2, is a totally new game from the ground-up, starring a new hero, Connor (or as his friends like to call him, Ratohnhaké:ton).  It is set in the midst of the American Revolutionary War, and features both the series’ trademark urban environments, and the ‘untamed frontier’ of 18th century Colonial America.

While Mathew has already put up some thoughts about Assassin’s Creed III on the Tech Blog, I thought I’d add to the information about what is surely going to be one of the biggest games of the fall.  Ubisoft has released some new screenshots and a video, and you can check them out after the break.

Read more...

LittleBigPlanet Journey DLC Coming Soon + More

by Blogger ‎03-28-2012 09:37 AM - edited ‎03-28-2012 07:08 PM

LittleBigPlanet:Journey.jpeg

Sony has recently revealed that Media Molecule's LittleBigPlanet 2 and Thatgamecompany's new PSN game Journey are teaming up. If your heart melted just as much as mine did during my playthrough of Journey (you can check out my review at Review: Journey) and if you love the cute playfulness of LittleBigPlanet, then you'll love the new Journey Costume and Sticker Pack.  It's set to arrive sometime next month so you won't have to wait much longer! 

Read more...

Sony gives photographers editing options with PlayMemories for PS3.

by Blogger on ‎03-28-2012 01:12 AM - last edited on ‎04-27-2012 09:53 AM by Retired Moderator

playmemories

Photographers: you’ve got a new way to organize, edit, and share your photos today, courtesy of Sony and… the PlayStation 3? That’s right, if you’re a PlayStation 3 owner, you can now download Sony’s PlayMemories Studio from the PlayStation Network store. It’s a new way to leverage your game console for something other than games. It’s $14.99 to buy, but it’s free to PlayStation Plus members, and new Sony Cybershot camera customers.

Read more...

How To Use iMovie For iPhone

by Blogger on ‎03-27-2012 05:57 AM - last edited on ‎03-27-2012 06:05 AM by Retired Moderator

imovie.jpg An entire HD editing suite in your pocket?  Well, if you have fine fingers, that's exactly what you have with the updated iMovie app for iOS.

Since I'm still rocking v1 of the iPad, I took iMovie for a spin on the tiny screen of my iPhone 4 and found and entire studio inside.

Read more...

CinemaNow - the new frontier into digital movies...

by Blogger on ‎03-26-2012 05:15 PM - last edited on ‎09-04-2013 04:16 PM by JorgeM Recognized Expert

Looking for a place to rent movies? Want to catch up on the latest TV shows? Looking to make the switch over to digital content and clear away the clutter of having movies lining your shelves? We found the perfect solution: CinemaNow.comcinema-now.jpg

Read more...

Hands-on with the new Telus HTC One S & V in pictures

by Retired Blogger ‎03-26-2012 02:30 PM - edited ‎05-03-2012 07:06 AM

HTC One S & V.jpg 

UPDATE: The Telus HTC One V is now listed on FutureShop.ca and should be available very soon!

HTC used to be the king of the hill when it came to Android.  The very first Android phone, the Dream/G1, the first flagship developer Android phone, the Nexus One, and the first 4G phone, the EVO 4G, were all made by HTC.  However, over the past year, HTC ceded their leadership of the Android handset market to Samsung, with their now-dominant series of Galaxy phones.  Many analysts attributed this loss to two main factors – HTC’s too large a selection of similar spec’d and priced handsets, all with different name plates, caused confusion in the market, and their Sense UI interface had become bloated and cumbersome.

For 2012, HTC is coming back with a vengeance, with a new handset strategy that they hope will win them back the Android crown.  At the 2012 Mobile World Congress (for more highlights from MWC you can read Teddy K’s MWC blog entry), this past February, they announced their new HTC One series of Android phones.  Like Samsung, they are using a single unifying name, One, that they hope consumers will think of when they want to buy the best Android phone.  HTC has also addressed the issues with their Sense UI interface by rebuilding it from the ground up over the latest version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich.  This new Sense UI 4 is a lot more streamlined than the previous version, and should be much easier and more intuitive to use.

Three HTC One models have been announced so far - the X, S and V, and all three are coming to Canada.  The HTC One X is exclusive to Rogers, but the S and V will be available on multiple carriers.  The One S is coming to Telus, Bell, Virgin Mobile and Fido, and the V to Telus and Bell.

I recently had a chance to spend some time with the Telus versions of the HTC One S and One V at an event, and I came away very impressed.

Read more...

Hands On: Dark Horse Comics on the Kobo Vox eReader

by Blogger on ‎03-26-2012 01:57 PM - last edited on ‎03-26-2012 02:01 PM by Retired Moderator

Dark Horse:Kobo.jpg

Earlier in the month, Kobo announced their latest partnership with Dark Horse Comics, showcasing their best-selling comics on the Kobo Vox eReader.  I had the chance to check out this new addition to the Kobo library firsthand and with some very good results! 

Read more...

2012 Canadian Videogame Awards Finalists

by Blogger on ‎03-26-2012 10:29 AM - last edited on ‎04-27-2012 11:37 AM by Retired Moderator

CVA2012-EmailHeader.jpg

The finalists for fourteen categories of awards were just announced for the CVGAs presented by Future Shop on Saturday, April 21, 2012. There are over a hundred nominations total for 28 finalist games. These are all games developed in Canada and released in 2011. We had a great crop of titles in 2011 too so lets take a look at the list!

Read more...

Stream your entire iTunes library with Audiogalaxy

by Blogger on ‎03-26-2012 07:33 AM - last edited on ‎03-26-2012 08:02 AM by Retired Moderator

Audiogalaxy screens.jpg

Chances are, some of you already know how vast your music library is on iTunes, and you also know that you have limited space to sync it over to your iOS device. With a decent 3G or LTE data plan and setting up Audiogalaxy for free, you can stream every song you have on iTunes at your convenience. Plus, it works with Android too.

Read more...

Another solid camera from Canon: the Digital ELPH 520HS delivers.

by Blogger on ‎03-25-2012 09:01 PM - last edited on ‎04-27-2012 09:00 AM by Retired Moderator

Canon_digital_ELPH-520HS.jpgAlmost 12 years ago Canon released the PC1001, also known as the Digital ELPH S100. It was my first digital camera, packing a 2x optical zoom and a 3 megapixel sensor into a body that was about the size of a deck of cards. It took Compact Flash memory cards and was an absolute wonder to my much younger self. With it, I started down the path of digital photography and never looked back.

Every year Canon has evolved this pocket-sized model, adding new features, switching storage types, or refining the design. It’s been a while since I picked up an ELPH, so I was thrilled when a box of them showed up on my doorstop, on loan courtesy of Canon and Future Shop. The Canon PowerShot ELPH 520HS and 530HS look like twins, but some design choices set them very much apart. We’re going to look at the 520HS today.

Read more...

Warren Spector Takes New Approach with Epic Mickey 2

by Blogger ‎03-25-2012 01:35 PM - edited ‎03-25-2012 01:39 PM

epic disney2.JPG

For a man who has made a career out of crafting stories around terrorists, spilling blood and stealing, Warren Spector has a surprisingly soft side.

"There are pictures of me at nine months wearing mouse ears. My dad bought me a Pluto plush toy when I was born" Spector admits to me as we stand inside a museum in Austin, Texas, the home of Junction Point Studios.

It's fitting that we're in a museum. Not only are we surrounded by countless artifacts which tell the tale of Texas, but Spector has brought in dozens of his own Disney artifacts, many never seen by the public before. This is only a small part of his huge Disney collection which ranges from watches to figurines and portraits.

"Frankly we're not going to talk about the Disney stuff I have in my collection because it would just humiliate me."

Read more...

About Tech Blog

MartinR - Editor-in-Chief
PaulH - Gaming Editor
gaming & movies
TeddyK - Cell and Computing Editor
cell, computers, gaming, photo & gadgets
Graham - Photo and Gadgets Editor
photography
Rajio
Computers, Audio & Home Theatre
ThePej
Appliances and Lifestyle
Elliott
Appliances, Gaming & Mobile
MikeYawney
home theatre, mobile, gaming, gadgets
gadjosevilla
Mobile, Appliances, Portable Audio
Jason Thomson
Cameras & Photography
BradPajuluoma
Gaming
Leo Bond
Toys and Gadgets
AshleyMartyn
Musical Instruments
ErinLYYC
Home Theatre, Lifestyle
CoreyHerscu
Home Theatre and Mobile
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Labels
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 484 guests
Please welcome our newest community members:
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.