Tech Blog - Page 2

Displaying articles for: 04-08-2012 - 04-14-2012

Bethesda Announces Kinect Voice Control Support

by Blogger ‎04-14-2012 12:50 PM - edited ‎04-14-2012 12:54 PM

large.jpeg

Just a few days ago, Bethesda announced that the popular motion control peripheral Kinect would be coming to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.  Available for free the week of April 23, Skyrim Kinect for Xbox 360 Support will feature more than 200 voice commands including Dragon Shouts, Hotkey Equipping, Follower Commands, and more. Now all of you can shout at your tv screens frantically and love every minute of it.  

Read more...

Overlooked: Sine Mora

by Retired Blogger on ‎04-13-2012 03:24 PM - last edited on ‎04-13-2012 03:37 PM by Moderator

2012_04_13_sine.jpg

So! Sine Mora is the latest Grasshopper game, Suda 51's by-now legendary studio, um, as long as you forget about Diabolical Pitch, and, er, particularly that this game is actually a Digital Reality game that Grasshopper just helped a bit on (with art and music and the like, but not actually any design, as far as I know). So yeah, really when you think about it, it's a side-scrolling bullet hell shooter that's been made by a bunch of crazy Eastern Europeans. And it shows. Read on to catch up on the game, released a few weeks ago with little fanfare.

Read more...

Rogers Nokia Lumia 900 now available, hands-on preview (video)

by Retired Blogger on ‎04-13-2012 03:00 PM - last edited on ‎05-03-2012 10:12 AM by Retired Moderator

Lumia900title_600.jpg

At CES 2012 in January, the big news from Nokia was the announcement of the Lumia 900 Windows Phone.  It was going to be their flagship device, and the first LTE Windows Phone.  Much to my dismay, at the show it was also announced that it was going to be an AT&T exclusive.  This saddened me, since I couldn’t see why Nokia and Microsoft wanted to keep this gorgeous piece of phone hardware locked to one carrier, and only available in the US.  The Lumia 800 and 710 had both been announced for Canada at the same time, and I thought for sure somebody would hint to me that it would be making its way up north, but I guess my powers of persuasion were not strong enough.  Thankfully, just over a month later, it was announced that the Lumia 900 would be coming to Rogers in Canada (sadly, only in black, at least for the moment).  It is now on sale, and available at Future Shop for $99.99 on a 3 year term.

At CES I got a chance to look at the AT&T version of the Lumia 900 and record a short video of the phone, which you can see after the jump.  Also, I should be receiving a demo unit soon, so check back on the Tech Blog for my full review.

Read more...

The Instagram Deal And Alternatives

by Blogger ‎04-12-2012 08:46 PM - edited ‎04-12-2012 08:47 PM

Screen Shot 2012-04-11 at 2.39.37 PM.png

Facebook bought Instagram for $1B this week. For a company that was barely 500 days old and had only 13 employees, that's a lot of money.

Instagram had something Facebook needed - a mobile strategy. Facebook had something Instagram needed - a monetization scheme.

If you're not a fan of the Facebook integration, but love the filtering and sharing of Instagram, here are 4 alternatives:

Read more...

GRFS_ITEMS_FS_600.jpg

Ubisoft’s tactical shooter franchise has been around for over ten years now.  The first Ghost Recon original came out on the PC only, and was a spin-off of Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6, with an emphasis on more outdoor first-person tactical combat, rather than the interior and urban focused firefights of the Rainbow Six series.  It was the first game that Red Storm developed after they were bought by Ubisoft in 2000.  While there were two PC expansions to Ghost Recon (and ports to PS2 and Xbox), the 2004 sequel signalled a change in direction for Red Storm (now known as Ubisoft Red Storm) to a focus on console development.  Ghost Recon 2 was console-only, and added a third-person view.  The next-gen follow-ups, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2, added cover and hypothetical near-future weapons.  While the Advanced Warfighter series was both critically and commercially successful, fans have had to wait five long years for Ubisoft to bring out the latest game in the series, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

Read more...

First Look: Panasonic's DMC-GF5KK Micro Four Thirds Camera

by Blogger on ‎04-11-2012 03:05 PM - last edited on ‎04-27-2012 09:03 AM by Retired Moderator

Panasonic_Lumix_GF5.jpg

Panasonic Canada announced last week that they’ll be releasing a new version of their popular GF-series system cameras, this time called the DMC-GF5. Future Shop is going to be carrying the DMC-GF5KK. 

I had the unique opportunity to go hands on with the new model–one of the only ones in Canada right now. Having used and loved the GF3, I was curious to see what the GF5KK had to offer.

Read more...

Using AirPlay on your Boxee Box

by Blogger ‎04-11-2012 03:00 PM - edited ‎04-11-2012 03:55 PM

Boxee AirPlay Iron Man.jpg

In many ways, Apple’s AirPlay is still a misunderstood technology. It sounds cool when it’s thrown in as an exceptional feature of a product, but it’s probably fair to say that many consumers out there are lost on what it actually means. AirPlay, by and large, is a streaming protocol Apple designed to stream media (with metadata, like artwork and blurbs) between compatible devices. One of those devices is the Boxee Box, and if you have one and didn’t know it, here’s what you can do with it.

Read more...

Diablo 3's Barbarian Revealed

by Blogger ‎04-11-2012 08:03 AM - edited ‎04-11-2012 08:10 AM

D5Z39OWWR5ZY1334085368162.jpeg

Fans of the Diablo series have a little more than a month until the long-awaited Diablo III is released.  Blizzard Entertainment continues their in-depth look at the five heroes of Sanctuary with a sneak peek at their latest class, the Barbarian.

Read more...

sonic_villain_rebirth_feature.jpeg

Late last week, Sega announced a new trailer for the much-anticipated Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2.  It doesn't seem like this news was covered on the Tech Blog so I'll just go ahead give you the awesome details! 

Read more...

More high-tech appliances arriving at Future Shop this season

by Blogger on ‎04-10-2012 03:12 PM - last edited on ‎07-16-2012 03:55 PM by Administrator

Samsung_Fridge_Twitter.jpg

Hello spring and good-day renovation season. I was reminded of the seasons while visiting my parents this past Easter weekend. They’re prepping their home for sale and renovating, everything from installing new hardwood flooring, to bringing-in new appliances and gardening to increase curb appeal.

Read more...

Epic Games Cancels Gears of War: Exile

by Blogger on ‎04-09-2012 02:25 PM

Gears-of-War-Exile.jpeg

Since 2010, there have been some rumours going around about an upcoming installment in the Gears of War series, Gears of War: Exile.  After the release of Gears of War 3, the conclusion to the trilogy, you'd never think that Epic Games was set on creating yet another installment in the series, let alone an on-rails Kinect-compatible one.  That is, unless you caught wind of Epic's announcement early last year. Epic actually confirmed this rumour by quietly releasing a registered logo for the game (which you can find above).  However, this project became little more than a vision. Earlier today, Epic's Cliff Bleszinski confirmed that the rumoured title has been officially cancelled. 

Read more...

How To Turn Your iPhone Into A Photo And Document Scanner

by Blogger on ‎04-09-2012 09:31 AM - last edited on ‎04-09-2012 09:46 AM by Retired Moderator

Screen Shot 2012-04-07 at 7.57.53 PM.pngThere are a lot of articles popping up about the death of the desktop.  While we're killing off that big beige box in your home off, we might as well terminate some of the accessories too. 

Let's start with the scanner.  Your iPhone can do that.

Read more...

One DSLR to go, please! Traveling locally with your camera.

by Blogger on ‎04-09-2012 09:05 AM - last edited on ‎04-27-2012 09:52 AM by Retired Moderator

tech_blog_traveling_with_your_DSLR.png

My work takes me across Canada and across the border frequently, both by car and by air. I don’t always travel with my DSLR, but when I do, I keep these five tips in mind to make my life easier.

Read more...

LG 2012 Appliance Preview

by Blogger on ‎04-08-2012 08:44 PM - last edited on ‎05-07-2012 09:28 AM by Administrator

Screen Shot 2012-04-07 at 7.31.49 PM.pngSpring is Home Show season across the country and Frank Lee of LG has been taking his roster of fresh new ideas from coast-to-coast showing them off to Canadians.

I caught up with him at the Calgary Home Show this spring to talk about some of the new LG appliances you'll see at Future Shop this summer:

Read more...

Xenoblade Chronicles Wait Is Finally Over

by Blogger on ‎04-08-2012 03:45 PM - last edited on ‎04-09-2012 02:01 PM by Administrator

xenochronicles6.jpg

The Wii isn't particularly known in North America as a bastion for quality JRPGs, so now that the gorgeous Xenoblade Chronicles that Erika Szabo wrote about in February has finally arrived in North America, perhaps it's time to celebrate?

Read more...

About Tech Blog

MartinR - Editor-in-Chief
PaulH - Gaming Editor
gaming & movies
TeddyK - Cell and Computing Editor
cell, computers, gaming, photo & gadgets
Graham - Photo and Gadgets Editor
photography
Rajio
Computers, Audio & Home Theatre
ThePej
Appliances and Lifestyle
Elliott
Appliances, Gaming & Mobile
MikeYawney
home theatre, mobile, gaming, gadgets
gadjosevilla
Mobile, Appliances, Portable Audio
DigitalDan
Movies
Jason Thomson
Cameras & Photography
BradPajuluoma - guest blogger
Gaming
Leo Bond
Toys and Gadgets
AshleyMartyn
Musical Instruments
ErinLYYC
Home Theatre, Lifestyle
CoreyHerscu
Home Theatre and Mobile
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Labels
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 1,383 guests
Please welcome our newest community members:
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.