Tech Blog

Ballmer to keynote at CES 2012

by Blogger ‎07-06-2011 11:20 AM - edited ‎07-06-2011 11:24 AM

SteveBallmer2.jpg

For you Steve Ballmer and Microsoft enthusiasts out there, you’ll be pleased to know the always charismatic CEO will deliver a preshow keynote address at the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES).

Read more...

Intel’s “WiDi” could blur the computer/TV line even more

by Blogger on ‎01-23-2011 10:33 AM - last edited on ‎04-30-2012 10:56 AM by Retired Moderator

Intel Wireless Display.jpgAlthough CES was over two weeks ago, some of the stuff Intel showed has stuck with me since, primarily because I’m a big proponent of streaming pushing content over to the TV. Intel’s Wireless Display (WiDi) using its second-generation Core processors will make that a lot easier if all goes as planned.

Read more...

Reflecting on CES 2011: Top picks, Rick Fox and The Green Hornet

by Blogger ‎01-09-2011 04:58 PM - edited ‎01-09-2011 05:04 PM

Green Hornet 3D Car CES.JPG

A common question I've been fielding over Twitter, Facebook, email and phone from friends, family and reporters are what are my top picks this year from CES? If I could widdle it down to just five gadgets and trends, here they are from the time spent at the show.

Read more...

CES 2011: Life's Good for the future of smart appliances

by Blogger ‎01-09-2011 03:33 PM - edited ‎01-09-2011 03:36 PM

LG_Appliances.JPG

Once again in the Central Hall of CES 2011, Korean electronics giant LG had a massive display booth, welcoming guests with models dishing out passive 3D glasses to passerbys as if you were walking into the world's largest cineplex theatre. Except this space featured bright lit 3DTVs and a variety of LG's latest innovations, including a considerable amount of floorspace dedicated to appliances.

Read more...

Tablets top news maker of CES 2011

by Blogger ‎01-09-2011 02:24 PM - edited ‎01-09-2011 02:25 PM

Toshiba Tablet.JPG

The CES 2011 pundits have been saying all along tablets are the one gadget to watch at this year's show, and they were right. There was no shortage of tablets on display, and with Smart TVs, they are drawing the most attention in Las Vegas. From Canada's Research in Motion (RIM) Playbook to Toshiba's Android powered tablet, the fourth screen has arrived.

Read more...

CES: How the iPad became a colouring book

by Blogger on ‎01-09-2011 02:05 PM - last edited on ‎05-01-2012 02:50 PM by Moderator

Griffin Crayola ColorStudio HD.jpg

After seeing Griffin’s Crayola ColorStudio HD on an iPad today, I might just have to relive the most innocent years of my life. I would’ve loved this thing as a kid — especially when it comes to picking from crayons, markers and pencil crayons by just tapping the menu on the iPad. Talk about having variety without leaving a mess.

Read more...

Logitech Revue CES.JPG

Although it's not the first time the world's seen the Logitech Revue with Google TV set top box, it's still a big draw to the Logitech booth at CES 2011.

Read more...

CES 2011: Five examples showcasing Smart TVs at play

by Blogger ‎01-08-2011 11:22 PM - edited ‎01-08-2011 11:27 PM

Samsung_SmartTV_CES.JPG

The hype on connected and app-enabled TVs at CES is true. Samsung Canada walked me through a five-step journey of examples to easily understand how these "smart" TVs can work and come to life in this connected world we live in.

Read more...

Worlds largest LED 3D TV.JPG

One message is clear from all the major TV manufacturers and entertainment companies at CES: 3D is a feature that is here and will carry for years ahead.

Read more...

How thin will they go? Samsung introduces 0.19" bezeled HDTVs

by Blogger ‎01-08-2011 09:45 PM - edited ‎01-08-2011 09:45 PM

Samsung_Bezel_Painting.JPG

Samsung also marketing new TVs as having 3D as an added "feature."

Also, improves dimming function with launch of Micro Dimming Plus.

Read more...

Microsoft's Xbox 360 Announcements @ CES

by Blogger on ‎01-08-2011 09:28 PM - last edited on ‎05-01-2012 04:24 PM by Moderator

During the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Microsoft's head honcho Steve Ballmer announced that 2010 was the biggest year yet for their Xbox 360 console.  Momentum picked up with the release of Kinect, the controller-free motion gaming sensor that has revolutionized how we play and interact with the Xbox 360.  With a clearly stated goal of 5 million units sold during its first 60 days on the market, Microsoft easily smashed their internal projections, selling an impressive 8 million units to date.

Read more...

Tron car revs-up at CES 2011

by Blogger ‎01-08-2011 06:54 PM - edited ‎01-09-2011 10:08 AM

Tron_Monster1.JPG

Head Monster Noel Lee's once red Audi R8 transforms into the ultimate Tron race car.

Read more...

Verbatim’s goal for 2011: fast, simple storage.

by Blogger on ‎01-08-2011 04:28 PM - last edited on ‎04-30-2012 10:57 AM by Retired Moderator

I like Verbatim. I’ve been using their stuff since blank CDs were $18 a pop, and I’ve always found their products pretty darned reliable. Recently I added a tiny USB storage device to my keychain. It’s incredibly clipit.pngtiny and tends to freak people out when I plug it into a computer. Verbatim’s penchant for remarkably handy storage didn’t end there, as you can see from the picture of the Verbatim Clip-It and their Netbook USB storage. Really. Freaking. Small.

The Clip It is a wee USB key available in sizes up to 2GB and 4GB. It’s not new for CES but it’s the first time I’ve seen it. The Netbook USB Drive, however, is new and it’s awesome. Available in 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB sizes, it’s small enough to leave plugged into your computer at all times. It looks like a modern wireless mouse receiver, completely unintrusive and very handy to have around. I think having one of these plugged into your laptop, even if just to backup documents locally, is a good idea. 

Read more...

CES: AMD pledges a better portable experience with Brazos.

by Blogger on ‎01-08-2011 03:07 PM - last edited on ‎04-30-2012 10:57 AM by Retired Moderator

It didn’t win a Best Of for CES, but AMD’s Brazos processing is more than worthy. Like the benefits Intel is reaping from Sandy Bridge, Brazos and AMD’s new Fusion line deliver serious graphics performance from a CPU+GPU integrated solution that AMD is calling an APU (accelerated processing unit).

Read more...

CES: Monster Cable has a vision for 3D glasses.

by Blogger on ‎01-08-2011 12:04 PM - last edited on ‎04-18-2011 11:37 AM by Moderator

monsterbox_lol.JPGPicture the scene: you, as an Active 3DTV owner, decide to visit a friend who also owns an Active 3DTV. You bring your own glasses, and when you sit down to enjoy the flick you find that while he/she/they/them/it get sweet access to the third (and best) of the dimensions, you’re stuck viewing in duo-dimension blurryville. Stuff sucks, non? It’s because each manufacturer has decided to use a unique Infrared code to control the synchronization of their glasses. I can only conclude that this is because standards make life easier and better, and CE companies just won’t stand for that. /grump.

Enter the era of universal Active 3DTV glasses; third party manufacturers are coming to the forefront with glasses that can be described as more comfortable (I tried a few and I’d agree with this) and more full featured. Monster Cable is one such company, rolling out their MonsterVision MAX3D glasses.

Read more...

About Tech Blog

MartinR - Editor-in-Chief
PaulH - Gaming Editor
gaming & movies
TeddyK - Cell and Computing Editor
cell, computers, gaming, photo & gadgets
Graham - Photo and Gadgets Editor
photography
Rajio
Computers, Audio & Home Theatre
ThePej
Appliances and Lifestyle
Elliott
Appliances, Gaming & Mobile
MikeYawney
home theatre, mobile, gaming, gadgets
gadjosevilla
Mobile, Appliances, Portable Audio
DigitalDan
Movies
Jason Thomson
Cameras & Photography
BradPajuluoma - guest blogger
Gaming
Leo Bond
Toys and Gadgets
AshleyMartyn
Musical Instruments
ErinLYYC
Home Theatre, Lifestyle
CoreyHerscu
Home Theatre and Mobile
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Labels
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 627 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members:
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.