Tech Blog

NHL Slapshot Needs Classic Controls

by Retired Blogger on ‎07-07-2010 02:39 PM

I didn't get a chance to play NHL Slapshot at E3--I chose to give NBA Jam a go instead--but thankfully I was able to have a wee go of it at a recent Nintendo event held in Toronto. I liked it. It's really good. Actually, it's so good, I'd definitely put it up there with NBA Jam as one of the sports games I'm most excited about this year (and for a very similar reason.) However, there is a problem. Read more...

The announcement of Portal 2 was one of the biggest bits of news earlier this year; not really a surprise, I guess, but still sort of surprising. I wasn't able to make an appointment with Valve this year to check out the E3 demo of Portal 2--they had announced this gala event, then cancelled it in a "funny" way, and most people got sort of confused, including me, and then when I tried to make an appointment it was too late--however, Valve have been pleasant enough to upload videos of the demo online Read more...

E3 2010 Wrap Up

by Retired Blogger ‎06-29-2010 07:37 PM - edited ‎06-29-2010 07:38 PM

Perhaps you're sick of our E3 coverage--after all, the event did finish over a week ago--but I think now is the best time for us to cap it all off with a final post that rounds up all of the coverage in one place so you can find anything you might have missed. Read more...

Random Game News Round-up: Post-E3 Edition

by Retired Blogger ‎06-26-2010 10:09 PM - edited ‎06-26-2010 10:09 PM

Oh man! I've been absolutely shattered from my trip to Los Angeles, but I should probably try and sum up some of the more interesting things that came up either during E3 or after, eh? Today's random game news round-up includes Global Agenda, Final Fantasy XIV, Capcom's 3DS output and more. Read more...

E3 2010: In Pictures

by Retired Blogger ‎06-20-2010 07:30 PM - edited ‎06-20-2010 07:32 PM

I'm a terrible photographer so I didn't take any photos while I was in LA, but I did know some people who did. What follows is a little taste of my experience at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2010. Read more...

I got up extra early on the last day of E3 to try and get into see the 3DS "properly" after a short taste of it in the Nintendo media briefing. Each day the wait had reached up to three hours to get into the large section of Nintendo's booth where you were allowed twenty minutes to try a variety of titles, and after waiting for about half an hour for E3's doors to open with a large crowd of (obvious) Nintendo fans, I walked over to the booth. Read more...

E3 2010: On the Brink in New Vegas

by Retired Blogger ‎06-18-2010 08:27 PM - edited ‎06-18-2010 08:40 PM

For the past few years of E3 Bethesda Softworks has had a significant presence, but as it's been behind "closed doors" I haven't had the chance to check out what they've been showing. This year, with Fallout: New Vegas on show, I just had to get back there. And I did! Read more...

E3 2010: Sony Announces New Premium "PlayStation Plus" PSN Subscription

by Blogger on ‎06-18-2010 12:31 AM - last edited on ‎05-03-2012 03:54 PM by Moderator

3946i0F1339ED13341B13

Sony has unveiled a new premium subscription option for the PlayStation Network (PSN) offering users more options for how they consume content, during their E3 press conference at the Los Angeles Convention Centre.

Read more...

E3 2010: Kinect for Xbox 360 Launching November 4 with 15 Launch Titles

by Blogger on ‎06-17-2010 11:21 PM - last edited on ‎05-01-2012 09:08 PM by Retired Moderator

3932i088BDB1C52DDC614

Microsoft unleashed a whole new era of gaming during their E3 press conference earlier this week, showcasing a new way to play video games using Kinect for Xbox 360, where the controller is you. Simply step in front of the sensor and Kinect will instantly recognize you and respond to your body movements and gestures. Absolutely no controller is required to use Kinect, it's intuitive and feels natural, it's as easy as moving as you do in real life.

Read more...

E3 2010: The Rebirth of Sonic the Hedgehog

by Blogger on ‎06-17-2010 11:58 AM - last edited on ‎06-17-2010 04:01 PM by Administrator

3929iF10AE8C7C49702C3

There's no denying the Sonic franchise has been watered down over the years. It's gone from 2D to 3D, familiar characters to annoying characters and the feeling you had back in the days of Genesis, well it's gone. Sega hopes to change that with Sonic the Hedgehog 4. I had the chance to sit down and play the latest Sonic game, and I will say this. He's finally back! Read more...

That title's probably been used by, like, every article on the Scott Pilgrim video game so far, but I don't care. The Toronto-set Scott Pilgrim is near and dear to my heart and I've long worried that the video game adaptation wouldn't live up to my expectations. But it does, and how. Read more...

E3 2010: Rock Band 3

by Retired Blogger ‎06-17-2010 12:40 AM - edited ‎06-17-2010 12:55 AM

Let's face it, music games have become stale. Or at least, those ones with plastic instruments. They're still fun to play, but you tend to reach this point of comfort- maybe you like to play drums on normal, guitar on hard, and so on - and it becomes static; it's not about the challenge or even really the note charts, as much as just pretending you're really playing the songs. Well, astonishingly, Rock Band 3 promises you will be playing the songs for real, so is it the change music games needs? Read more...

E3 2010: Ubisoft - A Surprising Kind of Energy (or... "Innergy")

by Retired Blogger on ‎06-16-2010 12:26 AM - last edited on ‎06-16-2010 08:20 AM by Administrator

Ubisoft's press conference was the third event at E3 I went to, and I have to say I was feeling terribly worn out (even only by that point) and felt that it was unlikely that I was going to see anything that was going to set me on fire. Read more...

E3 2010: Nintendo Lifts the Curtain on Glasses-Free 3D Portable Gaming

by Blogger on ‎06-15-2010 11:59 PM - last edited on ‎06-16-2010 08:20 AM by Administrator

Nintendo is getting ready to unleash the third-dimension after the full unveil of the Nintendo 3DS during the company's E3 press conference earlier today. The glasses-free portable system, first announced by Nintendo three months ago, is the successor to the company's highly successful dual-screen handheld, the Nintendo DS. Read more...

E3 2010: Valve Changes Stance on PlayStation, Portal 2 Coming to PS3

by Blogger on ‎06-15-2010 10:04 PM - last edited on ‎05-01-2012 09:08 PM by Retired Moderator

In a surprise move that shocked those who watched Sony's E3 2010 press conference today, Valve's President Gabe Newell came on stage and announced that the company is changing its position on developing for the PlayStation 3. The first Valve-developed game to land on the PS3 will be Portal 2, a follow-up title to 2007's unexpected smash hit action/puzzler included in the Orange Box compilation. Portal 2 for the PS3 will drop day-and-date with the Xbox 360 and PC versions, sometime in 2011.

Read more...

About Tech Blog

MartinR - Editor-in-Chief
PaulH - Gaming Editor
gaming & movies
TeddyK - Cell and Computing Editor
cell, computers, gaming, photo & gadgets
Graham - Photo and Gadgets Editor
photography
Rajio
Computers, Audio & Home Theatre
ThePej
Appliances and Lifestyle
Elliott
Appliances, Gaming & Mobile
MikeYawney
home theatre, mobile, gaming, gadgets
gadjosevilla
Mobile, Appliances, Portable Audio
Jason Thomson
Cameras & Photography
BradPajuluoma
Gaming
Leo Bond
Toys and Gadgets
AshleyMartyn
Musical Instruments
ErinLYYC
Home Theatre, Lifestyle
CoreyHerscu
Home Theatre and Mobile
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Labels
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 878 guests
Please welcome our newest community members:
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.