Tech Blog

Super Smash Club is Sponsored by Future Shop.jpg

This past weekend I had the privilege of dropping by the inaugural Super Smash Club event held at District 28 in downtown Toronto to celebrate the launch of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Super Smash Club is a Canadian-exclusive initiative created by Nintendo, and sponsored by Future Shop, that lets fans participate in the launch of Super Smash Bros. at live events across the country, and share their excitement for the franchise online through community-driven social media contests. It was amazing to see first-hand at the Toronto event just how passionate the Canadian fans of Super Smash Bros. are about this franchise--come take a look for yourself!

Read more...

Review: Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney is a delightful cross-over

by Blogger on ‎10-08-2014 10:59 AM - last edited on ‎10-14-2014 12:00 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright - wallpaper cover.jpg

What do you get when you cross the most renowned puzzle-solver with the world's greatest defense attorney? For Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS fans that can only mean one thing: Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney, the dream cross-over adventure game, has arrived!

Read more...

amiibo_img05_E3.jpg

This fall marks a significant milestone for Nintendo, with the company ambitiously rolling out their new line of interactive figures, called amiibo. Based on some of the most recognizable and beloved Nintendo characters of all-time, amiibo figures will let you interact with Nintendo games in fun new ways. Come take a look at what the excitement is all about!

Read more...

Last Gen VS. Next Gen Consoles To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?

by Guest Blogger ‎08-31-2014 04:56 PM - edited ‎08-31-2014 04:57 PM

Xbox One and PS4.jpg

If you are like me, a console gamer, every 5 or so years, you will be faced with a tough decision. When should you upgrade to the next generation of gaming consoles? Back in the earlier days of console gaming this was pretty obvious especially with the huge jumps in graphics and other related tech. Going from 8-bit machines(like the Nintendo Entertainment System) to 16-bit machine (like the SEGA Genesis and the Super Nintendo) was like a dream come true everything was such a huge change, graphics, sounds and games all had major upgrades. These days however, the reasons to upgrade aren’t quite as straight forward.

Read more...

Video Game Figures: a look at this growing trend

by Blogger on ‎08-25-2014 08:46 PM - last edited on ‎08-28-2014 12:36 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

Amiibo Skylanders Disney Infinity figures.jpg

Interactive video game figures have, in a matter of only three years, taken the games industry by storm. This craze began with Activision's Skylanders series, and kicked into high-gear with the emergence of Disney Infinity last summer. Now, as we approach the crucial holiday season, Nintendo has thrown its hat into the ring with their upcoming Amiibo line of interactive figures. It's going to be an exciting next few months as new video games and figures for all three of these series come to market. To help you prepare, here's an overview of what each toy figure line has to offer!

Read more...

Plan your studies to have time for these Fall game releases

by Blogger on ‎08-22-2014 03:48 PM - last edited on ‎08-25-2014 01:41 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

Assassins Creed Unity - four players.jpg

The upcoming school year is guaranteed to be a busy time, so if you're thinking of picking up a video game or two this fall to play during your down time, you'll need to make sure you plan accordingly. To help you out, I've conveniently compiled a list of blockbuster games that are releasing this fall so you can mark important dates on your calendar and begin your planning early!

Read more...

Most Anticipated Video Games for August 2014

by Blogger on ‎08-10-2014 11:09 PM - last edited on ‎08-11-2014 08:27 AM by Blog Editor in Chief

Ultra Street Fighter IV 9.jpg

It's August, which means it's time for the gaming industry to start heating up again as we inch closer to the big holiday rush. This month you can expect the next entry in EA Sports' hugely popular Madden NFL football franchise, the definitive update version of Street Fighter IV, next-gen versions of Diablo III and two Metro games, the long-awaited Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright crossover game, and that's not all "doods"! (I just had to throw in that Disgaea 4 reference, another game releasing this month.)

Let's take a look at the games!

Read more...

Review: Tomodachi Life is a hilarious daily companion game for Nintendo 3DS

by Blogger on ‎08-08-2014 10:43 AM - last edited on ‎08-11-2014 11:40 AM by Blog Editor in Chief

Tomodachi Life - your friends your drama your life.jpg

It's been a long time since I've laughed so hard playing a video game as I did with Tomodachi Life, Nintendo's new "life simulation" game for Nintendo 3DS. Inspired by games like The Sims and Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Life is a unique take on the genre that allows you to import or design your own Mii characters, and interact with them as they go about their daily lives. By its presentation and early gameplay trailers, I assumed that the game would be quirky and light-hearted, and it certainly is, but what I didn't expect was how outrageously funny this game can be.

Read more...

WiiSportsClub Logo.jpg

Even with summer in full swing, games are still giving players more and more reasons to stay inside. This month will have some big titles come out that are sure to make gamers of all ages rejoice. The end of the month will see Nintendo release the latest in the Wii Sports series with Wii Sports Club. Anime fans will also be pleased with the release of One Piece: Unlimited World Red and Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn. We will also see the latest in the Lego series of games with Lego Ninjago: Nindroids on the 3DS and PS Vita. While Sony will be bringing back some big hits with Last of Us Remastered for the PlayStation 4 and Rachet and Clank Trilogy for the PS Vita.

Read more...

Review: Kirby Triple Deluxe is an irresistibly charming Nintendo 3DS game

by Blogger ‎07-12-2014 09:31 PM - edited ‎07-25-2014 12:15 PM

Kirby Triple Deluxe - 3D gameplay action.JPG

Our charming pink puffball is finally making his Nintendo 3DS debut with Kirby: Triple Deluxe, an all-new adventure featuring six new worlds to explore, fun new abilities to use, and inventive new 3D level designs. I had an absolute blast playing this game, come find out why!

Read more...

Review: Mario Golf World Tour is a Hole-in-One

by Blogger ‎07-08-2014 05:26 PM - edited ‎07-09-2014 04:47 PM

Mario Golf World Tour on Nintendo 3DS.jpg

Even before Mario was perilously dodging Piranha Plants and bopping Goombas on the head in the original Super Mario Bros. game, the famed mustached plumber was keeping active on the placid greens in Golf, a leisurely golfing simulation game for the original NES. Thirty years later and Mario’s still out to prove he’s the king of the swing in Mario Golf: World Tour, an all-new golfing sports title available exclusively for Nintendo 3DS.

Read more...

Review: Disney Magical World lets you live a dream Disney life

by Blogger on ‎06-20-2014 01:20 PM - last edited on ‎06-20-2014 04:53 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

mickey_800x600.jpg

It’s not hard to imagine, given the immense popularity of Disney, that most kids at one time or another have dreamed about what it would be like to live inside one of Disney's magical worlds. Inspired by this belief, game developer h.a.n.d. created Disney Magical World, a fun new 3D adventure available exclusively on Nintendo 3DS, that lets you jump in and experience your own dream Disney life. With over 60 favourite Disney characters, from Cinderella to Mickey Mouse, and Aladdin to Winnie the Pooh, there is a whole world of excitement that awaits you!

Read more...

Most Anticipated Games for May 2014

by Blogger on ‎04-28-2014 07:43 PM - last edited on ‎04-30-2014 09:46 AM by Blog Editor in Chief

Watch Dogs - catching the train gameplay.jpg

It’s my favourite time of the month again – the moment when I look ahead at all the great games we can expect to be playing very soon!  This month, the world’s most famous Italian plumber bookends the gaming release schedule with Mario Golf World Tour (May 2) and Mario Kart 8 (May 30). That’s not all though, as Ubisoft is readying its highly anticipated next-generation gaming title, Watch Dogs (May 27). PS Vita owners are also getting lots of love this month from Sony with the upcoming high-definition God of War and Sly Cooper collections.

It’s going to be another great month for gaming, let’s see what’s in store!

Read more...

Most Anticipated Games for April 2014

by Blogger on ‎04-09-2014 10:01 AM - last edited on ‎04-10-2014 04:22 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

LEGO The Hobbit box art.jpg

Interested in knowing the hottest video games coming out this month? Here's a look at the games releasing in April that I’m sure will be on many gamers’ most wanted lists!

Read more...

The 12 Best Video Games of 2014 (so far)

by Blogger on ‎04-07-2014 06:58 PM - last edited on ‎04-08-2014 04:57 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare - multiplayer action.jpg

We're only a quarter of the way through the year and already the video game industry has been unloading with superb AAA titles month after month. Thus far, 2014 has given us so many games worth playing it's not a matter of are there great games to play, but rather which of the great games are the best of the best?

After pouring hundreds of hours into the finest video games so far this year, I've attempted to answer this question by coming up with a list, ranked in order, of my Top 12 favourites. It was a challenging undertaking - let's see if you agree!

Read more...

About Tech Blog

MartinR - Editor-in-Chief
PaulH - Gaming Editor
gaming & movies
TeddyK - Cell and Computing Editor
cell, computers, gaming, photo & gadgets
Graham - Photo and Gadgets Editor
photography
Rajio
Computers, Audio & Home Theatre
ThePej
Appliances and Lifestyle
Elliott
Appliances, Gaming & Mobile
MikeYawney
home theatre, mobile, gaming, gadgets
gadjosevilla
Mobile, Appliances, Portable Audio
Jason Thomson
Cameras & Photography
BradPajuluoma
Gaming
Leo Bond
Toys and Gadgets
AshleyMartyn
Musical Instruments
ErinLYYC
Home Theatre, Lifestyle
CoreyHerscu
Home Theatre and Mobile
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels
Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 995 guests
Please welcome our newest community members:
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.