Tech Blog

Can Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 continue the tradition? - Review

by Guest Blogger ‎04-23-2014 08:10 PM - edited ‎04-23-2014 08:10 PM

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - Title.jpg

Castlevania, a classic series that has been around for decades now.  Steeped in history and spanning most game consoles since the 8-bit era. The first Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was slow to start out of the gate. Many people only realized how finely crafted it was after several months or in some cases years of it being out. Will the follow up Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 prove to be as fine a game as the last or will it just be another flash in the pan?

Read more...

Does the New Thief Game Live up to its Strong Legacy? - Review

by Guest Blogger on ‎04-12-2014 11:45 AM - last edited on ‎04-14-2014 02:37 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

Thief Stealth Action Title.jpg

After a ten year hiatus, the much-lauded Thief series returns with a brand new game on PlayStation and Xbox game consoles, and PC. There's a lot riding on this reboot of the PC classic, with a lot of people wondering: will this new game stay true to the roots of the franchise or will it fall short of its strong legacy?  Let's find out!

Read more...

Most Anticipated Games for April 2014

by Blogger on ‎04-09-2014 10:01 AM - last edited on ‎04-10-2014 04:22 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

LEGO The Hobbit box art.jpg

Interested in knowing the hottest video games coming out this month? Here's a look at the games releasing in April that I’m sure will be on many gamers’ most wanted lists!

Read more...

The 12 Best Video Games of 2014 (so far)

by Blogger on ‎04-07-2014 06:58 PM - last edited on ‎04-08-2014 04:57 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare - multiplayer action.jpg

We're only a quarter of the way through the year and already the video game industry has been unloading with superb AAA titles month after month. Thus far, 2014 has given us so many games worth playing it's not a matter of are there great games to play, but rather which of the great games are the best of the best?

After pouring hundreds of hours into the finest video games so far this year, I've attempted to answer this question by coming up with a list, ranked in order, of my Top 12 favourites. It was a challenging undertaking - let's see if you agree!

Read more...

Disney Infinity: Lots of Fun New Figurines and Play Sets Available

by Blogger ‎03-16-2014 01:10 PM - edited ‎03-16-2014 01:10 PM

Disney Infinity Toy Story Play Set.jpg

If you’re among the millions of gamers enjoying the Disney Infinity Starter Pack on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, or Nintendo Wii/Wii U, first off – good choice! Disney Infinity is such a fun gaming platform (as you can read in my review) and I enjoyed immensely both the collectible Disney character figurines and their virtual Disney play environments. Now that you’ve spent quite a bit of time enjoying the initial batch of characters and Play Sets in the Starter Pack you might looking for new figurines and adventures to keep the fun going.

The good news is there's a lot to choose from. Come take a look at some of the fun, new figurines and Play Sets that are available now!

Read more...

Plantronics RIG Gaming Headset + Mixer - Review

by Blogger on ‎03-05-2014 08:27 PM - last edited on ‎03-07-2014 09:34 AM by Blog Editor in Chief

Plantronics RIG - full system.jpg

When researching over-the-ear headphones, the first aspect I always pay attention to is what device(s) it’s designed for, be it PC, smartphones/tablets, or gaming consoles.  I want to make sure first and foremost that the headphones are compatible with the devices I have in mind, but moreover, I want the assurance that they’re also optimized for those same devices.  So, for example, it’s vitally important that over-the-ear headphones for my iPhone have a sturdy headband to keep them firmly in place while listening on-the-go. Conversely, for a PC or gaming headphones, having crystal clear mic audio is definitely a must-have, but I also want to make sure the headphones remain comfortable for long gaming sessions.

I was very pleasantly surprised, then, when I realized that the Plantronics RIG stereo Headset + Mixer made my preliminary research easy – as it was designed to be a true all-in-one stereo headset. Not only is the headset created with the comfort and quality needed for intense PC or console gaming, but it is also designed to quickly and easily convert into portable headphones for listening to music on-the-go. As I looked further into the product, I got even more excited because of the included mixer – the system's central component that allows you to seamlessly switch between, or mix, your game and phone audio. Recently, I was lucky enough to get my hands on sample Plantronics RIG unit, and I have to say, it really is as great as it seems.

Read more...

Most Anticipated Games for March 2014

by Blogger ‎02-25-2014 10:36 PM - edited ‎02-27-2014 05:58 PM

South Park The Stick of Truth - Cartman.jpg

Get ready to pick up your controllers because March is kicking things off right with the much-anticipated release of South Park: The Stick of Truth. From thereon in it's more big titles one after another, starting with Dark Souls II and the Microsoft-exclusive Titanfall (March 11), with Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z landing the following week. Later in the month we've got the PlayStation 4-exclusive inFAMOUS: Second Son and Diablo III is receiving it's first major expansion pack with Reaper of Souls. Handheld gamers can also get in on the action with Yoshi's New Island on Nintendo 3DS, and for PS Vita fans there are games like Putty Squad, Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster, and Deception IV: Blood Ties.

Let's take a look at the games!

Read more...

The LEGO Movie Videogame - Great game for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360

by Blogger ‎02-18-2014 12:42 AM - edited ‎03-11-2014 09:52 PM

The LEGO Movie Videogame - logo.jpg

The LEGO Movie Videogame might just have the distinction of being Warner Bros.'s first video game based on a movie based on a children's toy. Adapted from the highly successful full-length theatrical release, the video game lets players step into the world of Emmet Brickowski, a completely ordinary LEGO minifigure swept into an extraordinary adventure to stop an evil tyrant bent on destroying the LEGO universe.

If you and your family enjoyed the film (my view: it's fantastic!) and want to extend the adventure, then The LEGO Movie Videogame will surely delight.

Read more...

WWE 2K14 - Review

by Blogger ‎02-08-2014 09:54 PM - edited ‎02-09-2014 10:36 AM

WWE 2K14 - The Rock.jpg

My earliest boyhood memory of the WWE was WrestleMania III at the Pontiac Silverdome when the immortal one, Hulk Hogan, did what few thought was possible and body slammed the 520lbs "Eighth Wonder of the World", Andre the Giant, in the middle of the squared circle. That moment kickstarted Hulkamania and I was hooked on professional wrestling ever since. In WWE 2K14's new 30 Years of WrestleMania mode, you can relive that iconic moment in wrestling history, as well as 45 more of the all-time greatest matches to ever take place at "the grandest stage of them all", WrestleMania.

Read more...

Most Anticipated Games for February 2014

by Blogger on ‎01-31-2014 11:24 PM - last edited on ‎02-03-2014 11:40 AM by Blog Editor in Chief

Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns.jpg

Coming off the heels of one of the busiest holiday seasons ever for gaming, February is shaping up to be one of the most well-rounded months for gaming in a while with major titles releasing for current-gen, next-gen, and handheld platforms, and with genres spanning from action, to role-playing, to platforming, to stealth, and even a visual novel. This is going to be one crazy awesome month for gaming, so let's take a closer look at what's coming to Future Shop and futureshop.ca in February!

Read more...

PlayStation Now - What is it and Why it Could Change the Game Forever

by Blogger ‎01-23-2014 11:59 AM - edited ‎01-23-2014 11:59 AM

PlayStation Now - available on internet connected devices.jpg

Earlier this month at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Sony created quite a buzz with the announcement of PlayStation Now -- a revolutionary new on-demand streaming service that will instantly bring a wide range of PlayStation game titles to PS3, PS4, PS Vita, as well as other internet-connected devices. This new service has enormous potential to shape the very future of how we access and interact with game software, and in time, could open up the PlayStation brand to millions of non-PlayStation devices.

If you're curious about what PlayStation Now will mean for the PlayStation brand, and the larger gaming industry, read on as I explain what this service is, and why it could change the game forever.

Read more...

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - Review

by Blogger on ‎12-15-2013 11:53 AM - last edited on ‎12-16-2013 02:43 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - Real Guitar.jpg

Rhythm action games used to be about jamming on plastic guitar lined with clicky buttons, but these days it's all about the real deal. Rocksmith 2014 Edition lets you plug any real guitar or bass directly into your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 gaming console, and experience a musical journey tailor-made for you.

Whether you're an absolute beginner learning the basics such as tuning or strumming, or an experienced player seeking to develop or further hone advanced skills, Rocksmith 2014 Edition is the ultimate companion to elevate your technique to the next level.

Read more...

The Best Video Games of 2013

by Blogger ‎12-10-2013 11:07 AM - edited ‎12-13-2013 11:03 AM

Grand Theft Auto V - Cover Art.jpg

After a year that gave us so many exceptional game titles, it's time to look back and make the difficult decision of choosing the very best of the best that released in 2013. With PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in their seventh and eighth year respectively, developers have had a long time to fully explore the potential of these consoles to deliver the highest quality game experiences possible.

Looking back on the year there are several standout game titles that pushed the technical, narrative and gameplay boundaries further than ever before, resulting in some of the most memorable gaming moments of this console generation. It was extremely tough selecting my favourites from the hundreds of games I played this year, but I managed to narrow the list to my Top Eight games of 2013. So, here they are, let's see if you agree!

Read more...

Gran Turismo 6 Races onto PlayStation 3

by Blogger on ‎12-02-2013 08:56 AM - last edited on ‎12-05-2013 11:36 AM by Blog Editor in Chief

Gran Turismo 6 - Driving Competition.jpg

Gran Turismo 6, the next entry in the world's best-selling racing franchise, is coming exclusively to PlayStation 3 this Friday, December 6, 2013. With more than 70 million copies sold worldwide (as of March 2013), Gran Turismo has remained one of Sony's most popular and venerable games series since its debut on the original PlayStation way back in 1997.

This latest entry is packed with tons of content, including over 1,200 real life cars, and 37 of the most prestigious world circuits, all realistically recreated using Gran Turismo 6's state-of-the-art graphics engine. If you're a racing fan there's plenty to be excited about, and with only a few days to go - the race is about to begin!

Read more...

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - Review

by Blogger on ‎11-25-2013 09:16 PM - last edited on ‎11-28-2013 02:03 PM by Blog Editor in Chief

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - Cover.jpg

While the Pro Evolution Soccer (PES) franchise has always been a technical masterpiece, aesthetically the series has struggled to find its groove since its jump from the PlayStation 2 to current generation consoles. This year’s iteration, PES 2014, addresses this shortcoming in a big way with the game developed from the ground up on a modified version of Kojima Production’s Fox Engine – the same robust game engine powering Konami’s upcoming Metal Gear Solid V.

Not only has Konami’s decision to utilize the Fox Engine produced the most visually impressive PES game to date, but adopting the new game engine also allowed Konami to revamp the gameplay fundamentals.  So much attention has been given to PES 2014 that it easily feels like the largest update in the franchise’s history, and the changes are, for the most part, a positive step forward.

Read more...

About Tech Blog

MartinR - Editor-in-Chief
PaulH - Gaming Editor
gaming & movies
TeddyK - Cell and Computing Editor
cell, computers, gaming, photo & gadgets
Graham - Photo and Gadgets Editor
photography
Rajio
Computers, Audio & Home Theatre
ThePej
Appliances and Lifestyle
Elliott
Appliances, Gaming & Mobile
MikeYawney
home theatre, mobile, gaming, gadgets
gadjosevilla
Mobile, Appliances, Portable Audio
DigitalDan
Movies
Jason Thomson
Cameras & Photography
BradPajuluoma - guest blogger
Gaming
Leo Bond
Toys and Gadgets
AshleyMartyn
Musical Instruments
ErinLYYC
Home Theatre, Lifestyle
CoreyHerscu
Home Theatre and Mobile
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Labels
Users Online
Currently online:15 members 311 guests
Please welcome our newest community members:
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.