Tech Blog

iOS4.1 Saves iPhone 3G

by Blogger ‎09-06-2010 07:49 PM - edited ‎09-07-2010 03:47 AM

4978i7D716F7A11858DD5

I have an iPhone 3G.  In the world of tech blogging, I might as well be hammering this post out on a stone tablet, I know.

It's old, and up until I tossed iOS4 on it, it worked perfectly fine.  Since the summer, when I made that upgrade, things crashed to a cloogy halt.  I used my phone less and less.  Twitter time was shrunk, photo uploading disappeared, random Facebook checks vanished.

Every time I wanted to do an update the processors inside the phone would chug along and stall and spurt and sputter and, since it's 2010, I'd give up after 2.5 seconds and just home out and drop it in my pocket.

I wrote about this issue earlier and even posted the steps to reverse engineer your iPhone 3G back to an older OS, but I never did get the guts to go through with the process.

Instead I waited, hoping Steve would hear our cries and look back into history to right the wrongs made to those of us unwilling to upgrade halfway through a 3 year contract.

A few weeks ago there was a murmur of hope.

Now, with the release of iOS4.1 this week the hope springs eternal

TUAW got a hold of the gold master of the software update and did some testing - Steve has made good on his word, and I still get a few months to hold out upgrading to iPhone 4.

If you're still kicking it old school, watch for the iOS4.1 upgrade on Wednesday.

catch the buzz ... pass it on.

Comments
by Retired Moderator on ‎09-06-2010 08:18 PM

As an Iphone 3G owner myself, this news makes me happy once again! I too noticed the performance of my phone dwindle away as the OS4 upgrade hit Iphone owners. I held out hope that Apple would release an update to resolve this issue, I guess my patience is paying off!

Cheers,

by Retired Blogger on ‎09-07-2010 10:07 AM

Alex, I'm with you! Can't wait for this fix to come out as my iPhone 3G is reminiscent of the Apple Newton.

There's a good comparison video of the the iOS 4.0 vs 4.1 on the iPhone 3G to get an idea of speed enhancements on several different operations, namely:

-Sending a text message

-Looking up a location in Maps

-Finding a Photo in Camera Roll

-Pulling up a website in Safari

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.