Save Money on Ink

by Blogger on ‎09-14-2010 11:24 AM

No one can talk about inkjet printers long before mentioning the cost of ink. Here's ways some ways to save on this precious liquid...

Only use High Yield cartridges

Most printers will accept two or more different cartridge models. A "standard yeild" cartridge has a low sales price, but contains less ink. Your best value is a "high yeild" cartridge. These have a higher sticker price, but contain almost 3 times as much ink as their standard yeild cousins. Lexmark designates our high yeild catridges with the suffix "XL". Look for 100XL or 36XL/37XL cartridges in multipacks for even greater savings.

Join a loyalty program.

If you print frequently you should look into loyalty programs like the Lexmark Rewards program. These reward you for purchasing and/or recycling ink cartridges, and let you earn free cartridges. You can save as much as 20% on the cost of ink through a program like this.

Try New Print Settings

For everyday printing you may find that "Quick Print" or "Draft" mode gives good-enough print quality and greatly reduces your ink consumption. In Windows click the preferences button in any print dialog. On Mac you look in the Print Settings pane of the expanded print dialog. If you don't mind small print, you can also try "n-up" printing that will squeeze two or more pages onto a single sheet of paper.

Consider Ink Cost when Buying a Printer

Lexmark can help you "Outsmart Evil Ink" with our newest line of professional series printers like the Pinnalce Pro901 that has the world's lowest black ink cost. You'll pay a little more for the printer, but the 105XL cartridge is available for under C$6 and prints 500 or more pages.

Ink may be an expensive liquid, but if you use it wisely you will find it is a good value.

Comments
by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎09-14-2010 07:08 PM

I like my ink jet printer as I print just a few pages a month.  However students will print more.... I wonder what the price per page comparison is for an ink jet vs b/w laser vs colour laser.

At the office, I don't even use a laser.... I send everything to a digital photocopier for even better savings.  In addition to the photocopier being able to double side, it (competitor) and hole punches too!

by Blogger on ‎09-15-2010 07:11 AM

XL, Cost per page is a great way to think about this.  It is a commonly held myth that Laser is the hands down winner when comparing to inkjet.

Black & white laser printing on a low end printer costs betwen 2 and 4 cents per page. Color laser cost per page is between 8 and 17 cents. With the Lexmark Pinnacle Pro901 and the 105XL black cartridge you can print for under 1 cent per page (USD).

This article shows a real world example of printing random pages from Wikipedia at a cost of one cent per page. In a similar experiment with an older X5650 printer, using default settings, I printed 536 pages from a single 36XL cartridges. That works out to a cost of about 5 cents per page (this included color output too).

If you follow the recommendations and use ink wisely you will find that in a home or small business, even when printing text and color graphics, inkjet can equal or beat a laser printer in cost per page.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.