The Sony Internet Player is one of the coolest Sony products we have had in years. We have been playing with a couple of pre-release players and everyone who has worked with or tested this product wants to keep it. Let me explain.
The Sony Internet Player is a little box that runs the Google TV operating system. You plug your cable or satellite box into it and then plug the Sony Internet Player into the TV. It connects to the internet through a wired or wireless connection, giving you access to hundreds of apps, thousands of movies and millions of songs. It does so many things, it is difficult to know where to start - so I invite you to watch this video from our Sony friends at SGNL (6 min.):
Keep in mind that in the US (where SGNL is produced), this is the second Sony product using the Google TV system and our content mix will be slightly different: Our launch date is later (August) but the price is the same in US and Canada ($199.99).
The crown jewel of the design is the Bluetooth remote with a trackpad and keyboard. This great double-sided remote with the QWERTY keyboard is what sets us apart from the competition. There are other “network players” in the market, but the Sony Internet Player is way beyond in terms of capability:
- It integrates into your system (HDMI-CEC control and IR Blaster), allowing control of your cable or satellite DVR. You don’t need any other remotes.
- Picture-in-Picture means you don’t have to stop watching to do a quick Google search or run another app.
- Over a thousand apps and growing means the best apps will keep coming year after year.
- This is a device designed for Canada, you won't see any apps that do not work on the device. Video Unlimited, Music Unlimited and Netflix are all available. You can also play content off a USB drive or your network.
- Customized user interface creates a better user experience.
There are so many features, we are going to be busy building YouTube videos this summer, highlighting all the great functionality.
The best part about this product is - If you have an HDMI connection, you can have the most cutting edge “Smart TV” experience with the Sony Internet Player.
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in.