Tech Brand Talk

Starcraft II launches at Future Shop's Midnight Madness events on July 26

by Blogger ‎07-19-2010 05:25 PM - edited ‎09-22-2010 06:55 PM

4178i9886F82A14699DF2

At midnight on Monday, July 26 the Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty wait is over for anxious Canadians ready to infuse themselves in Protoss, Terran or Zerg races. Future Shop is hosting their much-anticipated "Midnight Madness" events at all stores in Canada* on the eve of Starcraft II's North American launch. It's hard to believe it's been 12 years since the first Starcraft game launched - I remember being in school when it first released and watching it quickly erupt globally to the massive scale we find it today...

Back on track, here are details you want about getting your hands on Starcraft II - regular or the limited Collector's Edition:

4176iA6A49C6D912D4BDB

What: Future Shop hosts Midnight Madness events for the launch of Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty.

When: Monday, July 26, 2010. Doors to Future Shop open at 12 midnight.

Where: At a Future Shop near you - click here for the store locator.

BONUS: The first 20 purchasers receive a free gaming headset! And, the first 50 receive a free Starcraft II hat and poster. Sweet.4175i1D270BB584E31BD4

Another BONUS worth mentioning: If you have two games for the Playstation 3, Wii or Xbox platforms you've completed and ready to retire, trade them in for a free copy of Starcraft II! This is part of Future Shop's used gaming program, and a spectacular offer. Details are here.

*Stores in Sudbury, ON and Quebec are opening early at 8:00 a.m. local time on Tuesday, July 27, 2010.

If you can't make the Starcraft II Midnight Madness events in your neighbourhood, you can still benefit from scoring a free hat by pre-ordering copies of the game.

Game on!

Comments
by Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎07-19-2010 07:43 PM

This is great news, but is there a minimum trade-in value required for the trade-in offer?

I followed the link, but it doesn't state any specifics about the STARCRAFT II offer.  It is just a general trade-in web page.

Thanks.

by Blogger on ‎07-20-2010 07:59 PM

Hey GreatGreg,

There is a target list of games Future Shop is after. You can view the list from the used gaming site (http://www.futureshop.ca/usedgames) and click on the "Learn More" text in the middle image (bottom right corner). You should see a drop-down of the titles.

Hope this helps!

by Slukehart on ‎07-22-2010 07:22 AM
The question is: Do you have enough vacation saved up to cover the weeks your about to loose to SC2 :smileywink: See you all online Battle.net for some Zerg action.
by Recognized Expert on ‎07-22-2010 07:37 PM

One of the Associates at my store just happened to begin his 2 week vacation in-line with the launch of SC2, he planned it perfectly.

by Colin Briscoe(anon) on ‎07-23-2010 12:01 PM

will there be separate lines for those who pre-ordered and those who still need to buy?  Will the pre-orders be able to win one of the headsets?

by Recognized Expert on ‎07-23-2010 03:09 PM

Colin, there will only be one line and those headsets are for the first 20 people that are making a purchase of either the regular edition, or collectors edition, whether those people made a pre-order or not does not matter. 

by JohnBravo(anon) on ‎07-23-2010 09:44 PM

Does this event apply to Quebec stores too? (20 first ppl at 8am instead of midnight)

Because (competitor), (competitor) and (competitor) have the same kind of midnight event, but none will happen in Quebec. :smileysad:

by Colin Briscoe(anon) on ‎07-25-2010 01:38 PM

This is **bleep**.  I pre-ordered, and paid in full, for my copy and now I have to stand in line behind others who haven't ordered and take my chance that the stock won't run out?  Pre-order means we get the game first, that if there is limited stock (and there will be) our orders get filled before anyone else.  Is Futureshop really that disrespectful of it's customers that you will take our money in advance and still not provide what we paid for, that is to say, you won't guarantee we will get our game when it comes out?

by Retired Moderator on ‎07-25-2010 01:46 PM

@ Colin Briscoe,

Did you chose pick up in store when you pre-ordered? Normally pre- orders are shipped directly to your house. If you chose pickup then there will be a copy set aside for you. Not to sure where your getting your information about there not being copies set aside for pre-orders.

by Colin Briscoe(anon) on ‎07-25-2010 02:17 PM

I bought my copy in-store, not online, for pick up in store and have a "layaway" receipt. How does the store know that I have one reserved on that basis?   No one put my name on a list or anything that I am aware of.  I can prove I paid for my copy but how can the store know to hold one for me?  I can easily envision getting to the front of the line only to be disappointed, and then told that my name wasn't on the list like those who ordered online for pickup.  I have asked about on several occasions, in store, since the day the pre-order was announced and no one has been willing to guarantee there will be an in-store copy for me to pickup, only that web-orders go out on that basis.

As for pre-orders being guaranteed in general, despite the fact that someone who pre-orders should have preferment when the time comes, neither the advertisements nor the staff I have spoken to seem to acknowledge this.  That there is no separate line-up for people who pre-order - like one might expect (ever pre-order tickets for a concert and still have to wait with the ticketless?) - adds to the lack of clarity on this matter.  

by Retired Moderator on ‎07-25-2010 04:04 PM

Hey Colin Briscoe,

I suggest contacting our customer service department via email at service@futureshop.com or by phone 1-800-663-2275 so that we may address your concerns.

by Colin Briscoe(anon) on ‎07-25-2010 04:55 PM

Thanks JS, I have emailed support as suggested.  I suppose there is nothing for it but to get to the store early and queue.

by Colin Briscoe(anon) on ‎07-25-2010 08:09 PM

So, JS, here is the answer I got from service@futureshop.com:

"Thank you for contacting us concerning your preordered game. We are not aware of the way the store deals with the preorders. at this point the only thing we can do is send in a store complaint."

That's awesome! See what I mean? No answers, utterly no interest in finding out the answers, just wait and see what happens and then complain if I get screwed over. Absolutely the worst customer service. I'm horrified that this is how Futureshop conducts it customer relations. Next time my money goes elsewhere.

by Blogger on ‎07-26-2010 09:58 AM

@JohnBravo: Yes, the offers of free stuff applies to Quebec stores at 8:00 a.m. local time tomorrow. Bon chance!

@Colin Briscoe: Congrats on the pre-order! The store should have a copy on hold for you. What store are you picking it up from? Feel free to message me here, or email me: echun@futureshop.com.

by ent1033downtownedmonton(anon) on ‎07-26-2010 03:59 PM

@Colin Briscoe

Layaway deposits are tracked in store through our POS system. We are very careful to put aside all pre-orders in order to ensure that all pre-order customers are taken care of. Every layaway deposit that has been taken can be tracked by both name and phone number so there is nothing to worry about.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.